• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Paxton Dies

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dead at 61. Surgery complications.

Yeah, I know. He wouldn't win any major awards for his acting. I haven't seen his recent TV work (like on Big Love or later). And sometimes he could be clumsy and goofy on screen. But he had his fingers in a lot of films prominent in our cultural awareness from 1980 or so onwards and seemed likable and enthusiastic.

He seemed to be best at making bit parts (supporting roles in ensemble casts) stick out in humorous ways. This was apparent even in The Terminator, where his two minutes of screen-time reflected a wannabe swaggering punk goth whose clothes end up being worn by Arnold. And pretty much any self-professed geek is acutely aware of his role as the braggadocio-dripping Hudson in "Aliens" (1986?) who ends up being whiny and irritating for much of the movie, yet manages to compose himself as the everyman hero by the end.

He had a really great turn as one of a clan of vampires in 1987's "Near Dark" with a few other cast members from Aliens; he takes the swagger act up to a terrifying 11 on the dial in probably the movie's best scene, the massacre at the Texas diner in the film's middle section. He just owns the place.

He seemed to settle into more general fare in the 90's and beyond and develop some nuance. I remember being surprised by the solidity of this movie called "Frailty" that he directed and starred in; my expectations had been low, but the movie actually worked. And then he was in Apollo 13 and some other less-genre-oriented pics.

Bill brought a lot of energy and amusement to the cultural tapestry. Sometimes his roles seemed a bit goofy, other times they bring fond laughter. And he was always earnest. RIP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is an odd picture. It looks like someone morphed together Bill Paxton and Tommy Lee Jones.

0226-bill-paxton-gallery-launch-tmz-5.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He has the unique distinction of having played in both the alien and predator franchises. Both times as very similar characters.

Hudson, for all of his flaws, is really a great character and ultimately puts the team ahead of himself in a final sacrifice

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He has the unique distinction of having played in both the alien and predator franchises. Both times as very similar characters. Hudson, for all of his flaws, is really a great character and ultimately puts the team ahead of himself in a final sacrifice

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. Gorman and Vasquez have awesome deaths too.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]

Jeez that sucks. Frailty and Twister were two of my favorite films growing up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot he was in Edge of Tomorrow too -- a small role, but it repeated through the narrative and he was really solid in the part.

Lark

I had wondered what it was that caused his death, surgery complications? I'm sorry for peoples loss, I liked him in a lot of the roles he played, including Frailty, which I think is an under rated movie and treated religion a lot more fairly than a lot of other movies.

I also liked Arnie's tribute video on facebook, a lot of people who knew him thought he was a great guy.

I imagine it would be difficult for a celebrity dealing with getting older, sickness, facing death, themselves or those of their colleagues, because they are immortalised on film.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep hearing "Game over, man. Game over." every time I've seen his name today. Which is strangely appropriate under the circumstances, but it's kinda also giving me the willies.

[Fun fact: he improvised that line. Aliens is the only movie I know him from.]

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked him in Big Love and True Lies a lot. One of the funniest roles was in Weird Science.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
He seemed to settle into more general fare in the 90's and beyond and develop some nuance. I remember being surprised by the solidity of this movie called "Frailty" that he directed and starred in; my expectations had been low, but the movie actually worked.

Yeah, Frailty was an unexpected gem. RIP.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I enjoyed his work, especially Twister. He was one of those actors that really became the role. He will be missed.