• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overrated Bands/Singers

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What the hell is wrong with drum and fife music? America wouldn't exist if it wasn't for fife-and-drum music; we'd all be speaking English now. You hate America?

Hahaha. You got me. I am not a true Patriot for I love the lute above all!!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be fair, Eddie has never taken credit for inventing tapping. He just made it famous. Showman SP's: were just gonna make it look *that* much better. :)

The Who: Musical theater majors with a minor in Performance Art. Just too self-aware for their own good.

Nirvana was raw af. It made them great but it also made them overrated. I think KC was trapped in his own frustration as a musician. Always falling back on sloppy/self-pity/rage and poor guitar playing.

You know how the Beatles reinvented themselves with India? If Nirvana met the Dhali Llama they would have become Blind Melon. (Underrated!)

This is difficult because even crap bands are still great or talented! I could give each big compliments too but that isn't the spirit of the thread.

Most indie bands are overrated. I can't even list them all. Just hacks who get a mandolin they picked up from a flea market and add that 2nd lesson experience to some terrible new-timey drum and fife music. Hard pass.

Meg White got lucky.

I didn't say Eddie invented it but some of his fans seem to think so and that's who the comment was directed at

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
-Clapton? Same reason I never got into Zeppelin and Joplin. Cream and Blind Faith were alright. Layla is a decent album. Everything else he did has bored me to tears. A gifted sideman who should never have been a solo act. He has nothing on Jeff Beck. He might be better (technically) than David Gilmour and Syd Barrett, yet those two at least took their blues influence and transformed it into something sonically interesting rather than just playing copy and paste, watered down appropriations of far better blues players from the 50s and 60s.

Definitely agree on this one. Technically blows my mind, but except for some of his hits, he seems allergic to pop music and forcefully tries to avoid it (which is why he left Cream for instance). Ultimately makes a lot of his repertoire sound dull.

Pink Floyd is also overrated imho. Can't think of anyone with a better tone than Gilmour but song structures are often forcefully weird / arty-farty and long-winded.

Also noteworthy :

Led Zeppelin
Dream Theater
Foo Fighters (Screamo imo)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
For the record, I was a huge Nirvana fan and owned basically all of their albums. I used to skip school, get high, and listen to their music. One time my mom came home from work for lunch and I had to hide in my closet silently. Yeah... I was a cliche rebellious teen.

Here are the bands and artists I can think of off the top of my head. Some of them aren't huge names but have a fan following nonetheless.

The Doors
Primus (I knew a guy who loved them and they're just crap).
All "boy bands" + The Spice Girls
Taylor Swift (she makes me want to stab myself, kinda like this next guy)
Elliot Smith (even though I had 2 of his shit albums)
5 Finger Death Punch (makes me wanna 5 finger death punch myself because rock is a whiny little bitch now apparently)
David Bowie (sorry, was a wonderful artist and human being but I hate his music)
Green Day
Jane's Addiction
Drake

I'm sure there are a million more but my brain only works on some days. Today is not one of them.

arthoe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Rap I also wish to exterminate as well though some of Eminem's stuff was ok.

giphy.gif

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Everyone loves Pierce The Veil and I'm so sick of it to be honest.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=31348]RareBird[/MENTION]
Elliot Smith (even though I had 2 of his shit albums)

:yes:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
U2, this comes from trying to remember bands that some guy/girl I know wouldn't stop talking about.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Surprised nobody has said this, but

IMAGINE
FREAKING
DRAGONS​

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I second U2. Also, Justin Bieber, Nickelback, and Van Halen, particularly David Lee Roth.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't stand Led Zeppelin. I"ll acknowledge that Jimmy Page was a great guitarist and all, but their music wasn't anything special imo.

I can actually live without any of the artists on the list. I used to be a huge Nirvana fan back in high school, but I didn't know any better back then, haha. Rarely listen to them anymore.

Bowie is one of my favorite musicians, but I can see why you'd think that. He was influenced by many others around the time. Marc Bolan and him were close friends and supposedly it was Marc who started the glam rock look before Bowie did when he released Electric Warrior. Bowie also did change with the times rather frequently, that's why I could see him as a 3w4 rather than a 4w3. But to be fair, T. Rex and Roxy Music were very famous in the UK. They just didn't make it to America. Okay, I guess he's overrated.

Oh, and I too prefer Beethoven to Mozart, haha.

I would also add AC/DC to that list. Good God.

al led zeppelin did was rpi off music