• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Film Theory: The Matrix

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Neo ISN'T The One in The Matrix Trilogy

Edit: added a few tags [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] [MENTION=19700]Anaximander[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What if..

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What if..

Working with this.

Using Freud's Tripartiate.

Agent Smith = ID Think of his rebelliousness & the Morpheus torture scene.

"Can you hear me, Morpheus? I'm going to be honest with you. I... Hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink. And every time I do I feel I have somehow been infected by it. It's repulsive, isn't it? I must get out of here. I must get free and in this mind is the key, my key. Once Zion is destroyed there is no need for me to be here, don't you understand? I need the codes. I have to get inside Zion, and you have to tell me how. You're going to tell me, or you're going to die."

Neo = Ego

The Architect = Super Ego

The Architect referee's the fight between the ID and Ego.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I try to forget the 2nd and 3rd movies. Trying to make one theory of all three is admirable, but I believe impossible. The directors lost sense of their direction in the 2nd movie and just made a bunch of action set scenes mixed with some poor philosophical discussion.

They just got wrapped in the Neo v. Smith idea and changed the story. Bringing Smith back was an error. Not having Neo really use his powers much was an error.

I love the nice set pieces (except for Neo v. Smith big brawl), but it was ultimately unsatisfying.

The third film is just bad.

I give credit to someone trying to make some sense out of it all, but, like trying to make sense of the philosophy of other films, often inconsistent across films in a series, is really a fruitless quest.

The Matrix series is much like a series of novels, with the first being near perfect, but then the follow up novels suck.....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try to forget the 2nd and 3rd movies. Trying to make one theory of all three is admirable, but I believe impossible. The directors lost sense of their direction in the 2nd movie and just made a bunch of action set scenes mixed with some poor philosophical discussion.

They just got wrapped in the Neo v. Smith idea and changed the story. Bringing Smith back was an error. Not having Neo really use his powers much was an error.

I love the nice set pieces (except for Neo v. Smith big brawl), but it was ultimately unsatisfying.

I give credit to someone trying to make some sense out of it all, but, like trying to make sense of the philosophy of other films, often inconsistent across films in a series, is really a fruitless quest.

The Matrix series is much like a series of novels, with the first being near perfect, but then the follow up novels suck.....

It's like the reverse of the SW original trilogy--Lucas started with a straight forward adventure story; the lofty Joseph Campbell stuff and intricate family dynamic came in Empire and Jedi.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

They're all taken from another story 'Supergods' really, so they are meant to be connected far as I can see. But still the delivery is flawed..