• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any thoughts on this?

I had read all the books some years prior, and have watched the first three episodes of the eight-episode Season 1. Each episode is half a book, and they plan to wrap things up after three seasons of almost equal length. The episodes are long as well -- ranging from 47-62 minutes in length apiece, without commercials.

Overall, I always thought the TV format was better suited for these books than the cinematic format, and they really have taken advantage of the longer format by covering each book in more detail + incorporating a fourth-wall version of Lemony Snicket who consistently addresses the audience. I wasn't sure about the casting (Patrick Warburton) for that role but he's doing a decent-enough job. Neil Patrick Harris as Olaf is definitely a short-list name for the role (Carrey was decently cast in the movie version years ago); he's not as manic as Carey but does provide the droll, silly self-seriousness of the character. Daniel Handler (AKA Lemony) wrote some of the scripts and Barry Sonnenfield (who did the movie) is also directing/involved some of the episodes.

Interestingly, the three children here (the stars) are the no-names, aside from the girl playing Violet who I recognized from Supergirl and something else. They are adequately solid, though not top tier. Still, the child playing Sunny is remarkable in terms of demeanor (she emotes on cue, and is generally well-disposed)... and it might be the funniest part of the show because every time Sunny talks, they run a title caption of what she's actually saying, and she's actually the most astute/prescient of the three children.

So the tactic was basically to spend their money on sets and production quality (which is excellent so far), and on Olaf, and on guest stars (like Catherine O'Hara). Olaf's gang and the kids are the actors who aren't well-known by name.

Another amusingly disturbing thing is Will Arnett playing a certain character -- every time he opens his mouth, all I hear is Bojack Horseman. But maybe that's appropriate for this series.

Anyway, the show captures the wit and tone of the books. I'm glad someone finally made an effort to do a decent telling of the entire book line.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Up to the final episode in Season 1. Basically it is working out to two episodes per book (so there will be 26 episodes in total after three seasons).

It's still plugging right along. There's some fun cameos for supporting cast (Don Johnson? really??). Neil Patrick Harris is carrying the lead villain role well enough, and the makeup/costuming is decent, the sets are cool, etc.

The only thing weird about the kids is simply one that is cosmetic -- I am used to all the pictures of Klaus being short, and the actor playing him is the same height as Violet. Sunny is the most pleasant baby ever, and probably the funniest ongoing bit with her subtitles and ability to chew things with her tooth.

There is one great twist near the end of the season, played off of viewers' willingness to accept what they are given. I couldn't quite figure out what was going on (it's been some years since I read the books), but then it all clicked and I think I know what I'm seeing now.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
I'm a firm believer of Don Johnson cameo's since Django Unchained :D

I might check this out. Not familiar with the books. But I trust your opinion. And Neil Patrick Harris.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a firm believer of Don Johnson cameo's since Django Unchained :D

I might check this out. Not familiar with the books. But I trust your opinion. And Neil Patrick Harris.

This is definitely vintage NPH, he gets to play a number of parts and sings the opening song. (They change the lyrics every episode a bit too, to accommodate the current story. Handler is writing the lyrics, I think.)

there's some stuff here that didn't appear in the books from what I remember... or things that happened offstage that now we get to see on screen.

Various actors make an appearance who I recognized, as secondary characters: Joan Cusack, Alfie Woodard, Catherine O' Hara, Don Johnson, etc.

It all makes me want to reread the books (there's 13 of them and they're pretty fast reads). They are a triumph of tone and language, aimed at tweens and young teens, but fully enjoyable by adults. They also involve kids who begin by being orphaned and no longer having their awesome parents looking after them... and every other adult lets them down, so they are forced to fend for themselves. That's what makes it really interesting as a kids series. Basically the humor and language adds enough humor to it (dark humor) that it overcomes how depressing it might be otherwise. The kids remain indefatigable even when they are tempted over and over to give up.