• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your MBTI type & what's the song(s) you went to in your darkest moment?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No one emotes sad like Sia. Breathe me, Elastic Heart, and Big Girls Cry have helped me through dark and lonely times, mostly as a release but also to help me feel less alone and broken.

I sound 12 and emo.

The other side of me likes really loud rock, something I can belt out in my car. Think Royal Blood, Ghost, Highly Suspect... sort of angry, slightly alternative, rebel rock. I put on a lot of drive by concerts.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ.

During my suicidal idealization many years ago.

Tengri

I had a bad breakup around the time Röyksopp's The Inevitable End album was released and a few of the tracks really captured (and colored) my feelings at the time - especially these two:

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP. In my darkest point, I listened to "Shake it Off" by Florence + The Machine to pick me out of it.

EtaCarinae

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
My dark night of the soul songs, hurts to remember how much pain I was in ...

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTJ

I listened to this freshman and sophomore year, but now it doesn't resonate with me.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTP 9w8 (only posting this incase I put down joke info in my profile in the future) and I mostly listen to classic rock classical music and melodic metal. I don't really have a favorite song, although there is one by the expendables that I've liked pretty consistently for a few years that I can't remember the name of and being on my cellphone am too lazy to look up.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Smiths
Morrissey
The Cure
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Garbage
- Pretty much their whole discographies

A specific song when I was a teen was Fiona Apple's "Sullen Girl". I just have a specific visual memory tied to that, and my teen years were probably my bleakest.

I still love melancholy music with lyrics that have a focus on sadness & obsessions, and so I still like all this music a lot. I have always had varied taste, liking music among several genres and eras, as well as different moods. But this does represent the sound I gravitate to most. Why I have a thing for 80s alt/dark wave, IDK.

Finding a song to fit a dark mood is not that hard either. But the other day I decided to make a playlist of happy love songs, because I realized everything I listen to seems to have a sad/obsessive take on love, and I realized maybe this was not the healthiest stuff to always be listening to, that it may be affecting my subconscious. I have a rather bleak, tragic view of love (or perhaps an idea of never finding it), albeit it is romantic. Well, it is HARD to find positive love songs, especially ones that aren't super cheesy and full of cliches.

A lot of songs that aren't about love are still about distraction or obsession. This struck me as interesting....why is happiness often reduced to this simplistic, almost stupid thing and generally described with cliches, whereas darker emotions are presented as complex and deep and given so much more creative imagery?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ

There are others I can't remember, but what I'd usually do is just latch onto one of these and listen to it on repeat for days on end, sometimes weeks.