• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Clash vs. The Ramones

Whose better?

• The Clash

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • The Ramones

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • The Pogues!

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • The Sex Pistols

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like them all, but I let my avatar influence me. :D

Joe was magic. Glorious and creative. I miss him.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find it strange The Clash got so much exposure in the states, compared to the relative obscurity of The Jam's stateside career.

I think it may have been their love of American blues and early rock musicians. There was a greaser, Stray Cats-esque sort of thing going on in the US at the time, and I think that made the Clash appealing.

For you Lady Jaye.
YouTube - The Jam - Absolute Beginners[/url]

Yeah! :headphne:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is one of my favorite movie music moments.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOGBTFFxOpY"]Billy Elliot - A Town Called Malice[/YOUTUBE]

Fun fact: "A Town Called Malice" is the #1 Most Played Song of All Time on my Winamp.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Digressing but... I'm a big fan of the final scene from Trainspotting + Born Slippy.

[YOUTUBE="n2tuNTzvuZU"]Trainspotting[/YOUTUBE]

I've never seen Billy Elliot.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Ooh Underworld. But how is this thread about Underworld now? The fury of the internet, that's how, and it takes no fucking prisoners. Thank God.

T

ThatGirl

This is one of my favorite movie music moments.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOGBTFFxOpY"]Billy Elliot - A Town Called Malice[/YOUTUBE]

Fun fact: "A Town Called Malice" is the #1 Most Played Song of All Time on my Winamp.

Why did I always remember this scene to London Calling? I could have sworn.

Either way Billy Eliot mad me vow if I ever had a son he would take ballet lessons

And martial arts cause.....you know

MBTI Type
INxJ
The Clash! Hells yeah.

Also...

X-Ray Spex
Siouxsie & the Banshees
The Casualties

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
THE POGUES!!!

:banana2:

the clash are fucking great
the pistols had wonderful lyrics. i kind of like johnny rotten, not much the band per se (but I don't like him with PIL so...uhm :huh:)

the ramones are more like party music for me. I don't even own a record, I respect what they did for music history but they don't connect that much with me. But if they play them I can't stay still or not sing. it's a physical impossibility for me. like with r&b or soul music. I'm not exactly a fan of that type of music, but it gets me moving. :D

oh and I like the adverts. and x-ray spex. :)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Clash for me.

London Calling might be my favorite album ever.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Clash. Total no-contest.

Also, I LOVE that scene from Billy Elliot. I have it on DVD, and I used to watch that scene whenever I felt especially depressed. It is so awesome. I used to sprint just because whenever "A Town Called Malice" came on my iPod. I also love the scene where he auditions for the Royal Ballet School and describes what it feels like when he's dancing. Sigh. Love that movie.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
The Clash seem more "musically talented" and, for that very reason ( able to display complexity, among other things ) less "punk" - which would be the Ramones.

I remember when Iggy Pop started a lot of this "rock as attitude" - probably himself inspired by Jim Morrison and Jagger, as far as his onstage antics.

I can't seem to get this youtube mechanism to work. Will post these links instead.

YouTube - the stooges documentary and interview with iggy pop
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 1 of 6)
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 2 of 6)
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 3 of 6)
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 4 of 6)
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 5 of 6)
YouTube - Iggy Pop documentary (Part 6 of 6)

wolfy

awsm
Also if you think The Clash sux, listen to The Clash more.

RIGHT! Listen to The Story of the Clash. So much variety.
The band was so much more musically adventurous than the other three.
Joe Strummer and Mick Jones, Jagger and Richards, some songwriters just work so well together. :headphne: