• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

10 films that were almost ruined by Nick Cage

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So basically Jim Carrey is the bane of Cage's existence?

I've been saying for years that Judge Reinhold never "made it" all the way because Tom Hanks came along and took all of the best roles from the late 80s onward. Steve Gutenberg may also be holding a bit of resentment toward Hanks.

And I think William H Macy actually made a joke once about losing a lot of great roles to Kevin Spacey.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So basically Jim Carrey is the bane of Cage's existence?

I've been saying for years that Judge Reinhold never "made it" all the way because Tom Hanks came along and took all of the best roles from the late 80s onward. Steve Gutenberg may also be holding a bit of resentment toward Hanks.

And I think William H Macy actually made a joke once about losing a lot of great roles to Kevin Spacey.

The acting world is a cutthroat world.

Actor is what I wanted to be when I was younger, but the social environment, the relationships between people in the field discouraged me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The acting world is a cutthroat world.

Actor is what I wanted to be when I was younger, but the social environment, the relationships between people in the field discouraged me.

Me too, actually. I really enjoyed acting in college but I hated the culture and I never felt like I fit in with the theater clique. A lot of jealousy and envy at play there, I think some people resented me because I was an upstart kid who showed up and nabbed some good roles in my freshman year.

I'd much rather work behind the scenes in film anyhow, doing editing or something similar.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me too, actually. I really enjoyed acting in college but I hated the culture and I never felt like I fit in with the theater clique. A lot of jealousy and envy at play there, I think some people resented me because I was an upstart kid who showed up and nabbed some good roles in my freshman year.

I'd much rather work behind the scenes in film anyhow, doing editing or something similar.

I did acting in high school and people said I was really good, despite not playing any major roles. I went to to pursue acting at a private school, but that is when I saw to what extent the theatre world was a roller coaster to deal with emotionally, some people can handle it, but it wasn't for me. :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did acting in high school and people said I was really good, despite not playing any major roles. I went to to pursue acting at a private school, but that is when I saw to what extent the theatre world was a roller coaster to deal with emotionally, some people can handle it, but it wasn't for me. :)

a lot of divas in that world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Judge Reinhold and Steve Guttenberg did get kind of shafted by the ascent of Hanks, although they both have some kind of underlying goofiness even when being serious (I always get the impression even when seeming solemn on the surface that Guttenberg is laughing at whoever he is interacting with) whereas I think Hanks has some kind of serious depth underneath the surface silliness that made him more appealing. But I can see why they were categorized together.

I have some fond memories of Reinhold... kind of a lovable loser. Who can forget that scene in Ruthless People where he (as Ken) shows up to get the money from Sam (deVito) and he himself is almost robbed at gunpoint (for some reason, I am recalling it to be Bill Paxton? Just the look on his face... priceless

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I should comment on Cage...

Cage is like mad genius. He makes so much shit, but every so often he pulls off a really great performance like lightning in a bottle... enough to pull him an Oscar at one point. I'm still fond of him in FaceOff; Woo's over-the-top directing that could also dig into some primal emotions meshed well with his acting style, he brings pathos to his portrayal of Archer while being a total psycho-nutjob as Castor Troy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, that Hanks has a serious center. It's even a bit apparent in shit like Bachelor Pad and Splash.

I'm not sure Gutenberg or Reinhold had the chops to pull off something like Castaway. Maybe Forrest Gump. Problem with Reinhold is he has that weird valley accent or whatever it is.

I don't think Cage is bad, just very particularly suited to certain types of films, therefore easy to miscast. He brings a distinct flavor and tends to dominate films with his Cageness, yet it still works for certain films, even in garbage like National Treasure.

I remember watching Peggy Sue and HATING his character because of that stupid, nasally voice he uses. It was quite distracting. I sometimes wonder if guys like Cage have terrible agents, or are just bad at choosing good roles. He's like Malcolm McDowell, talented, yet chooses such rubbish movies.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I should comment on Cage...

Cage is like mad genius. He makes so much shit, but every so often he pulls off a really great performance like lightning in a bottle... enough to pull him an Oscar at one point. I'm still fond of him in FaceOff; Woo's over-the-top directing that could also dig into some primal emotions meshed well with his acting style, he brings pathos to his portrayal of Archer while being a total psycho-nutjob as Castor Troy.

Faceoff was pretty cool, and Cage did alright in that movie. Like the part where he stares into the mirror and says "I'm me....I'm me!!" like a psycho. Conair wasn't a bad movie either, though neither cage nor Cusack brought much to that movie. Especially Cusack was kinda lame in Conair...all the good ones were the bad guys(John Malkovitch, Danny Trejo, Steve Buscemi etc).