• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In games do you go for the good or evil path (If both which do you go for first)?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Like with Dragon Age, Mass effect and many other games of that sort do you tend to go for the nice or nasty option and why?. I myself tend to go for the good option as i just feel dirty if i choose the bad option even though i wish i could be that badass evil guy who doesnt give a shit about what others think. Pehaps there is a link between game morality and typology.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i am most often as poilte to npc's as possible... i work for free if i think that they can't afford to pay... but as soon as the job is done (or perhaps before) i am rummaging through their house (and/or pockets) for anything that i can stuff into my inventory... and if someone is too rude, i take off the kid gloves (and may even kill them out of hand if they seem to be of no use)... in games with an alignment system, my dialogue options push me towards good, but if theft has an effect i turn out to be neutral... the npc's seem to understand that i need literally everything i can take to defend them as best i can... after all, everything disappears when i arrive, and they generally thank me after each encounter...

Gone

Usually the good one, too. I don't want to see people suffer, not even in a video game. Especially not if I'm responsible. Soooo I usually do what I can to help, even if I'm annoyed by the characters themselves or by what they want. Often the evil option does sound more lucrative and can be pretty fun, too, but I just can't stop my conscience from speaking up :D

You should play "Beholder". Or "This war of mine". Or both.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
In games with factions I typically go 'good faction' but make morally questionable decisions. In Star Wars for example I might pick a Jedi but make 'dark side' decisions.

My character's decisions are 'neutral' and tend to be Machiavellian.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Usually good, sometimes bad. Depends.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't play games, I just watch others play them, however, I think I would go for evil, I find evil to be the most interesting..

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on my mood... more often I pick good but at times I love being villainous. :devil:

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd go evil if games didn't cheat. Do a favor for a guy and he hands you a sick item, but kill him in cold blood and it's nowhere to be found. Something is off here.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't like to know which is good/evil. I just make the choices I would normally make and go with whatever I get. I think doing anything else sort of defeats the purpose " If you were in this situation what choices would you make and what does that mean to you as a person."

If it gets me nowhere, then I will go back and look.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What i do like is games that dont have a morality meter but something that pushes you to make choices based on your own judgement whether it be logical or moral judgement without an external source to make you lean more one or the other.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to try everything that game allows, typically. As for what I do first (and therefore the only thing I do if I only play something once), I used to always be evil. Then I switched to always being good, which is presently the case.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typically I play games with multiple characters and will usually run a good character, a nasty character, and sometimes an in-between character ... mainly to see what options change and what is most fun. I switch off on whether I go black or white hat first.

I think my first time through the first Dragon Age, I played a two-weapon fight type who was pretty pragmatic... generally good, but she was heavily interested in getting the job done and didn't cringe if something brutal had to be done. I think I sacrificed myself in the final fight. Morrigan and I had a wary but working relationship, and I think I bruised Alistair's feelings / manipulated him when necessary and probably also got Leliana all stoked up at one point by offending her idealism.

I have to say, playing a badass Sith in SWTOR was a heck of a lot of fun. What can be better than to

I'm pretty Neutral / Neutral Good IRL otherwise.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem I have with taking the evil route in these kind of games is that the choices it offers belong in the category of "petty evil". Very low-key evil things. When I am evil I like to do it big. Like for example in Neverwinter Nights (which I recommend); you are given task of recovering this ring for this maiden. When you finally do so, you can give it to her or keep it. But after you give it to her, this option appears when you are given the choice to ask for a reward: " How about I just remove the ring from your cold, lifeless finger". In this game you can also set a balor free with your choices.

Most games I don't like playing any evil route. Another example I do would be Star Wars KOTOR (mainly to see the ending and to

I like to try everything that game allows, typically. As for what I do first (and therefore the only thing I do if I only play something once), I used to always be evil. Then I switched to always being good, which is presently the case.

I do this too, mainly because I don't want to lose any content of the game.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Typically I play games with multiple characters and will usually run a good character, a nasty character, and sometimes an in-between character ... mainly to see what options change and what is most fun. I switch off on whether I go black or white hat first.

I have to say, playing a badass Sith in SWTOR was a heck of a lot of fun. What can be better than to

I'm pretty Neutral / Neutral Good IRL otherwise.

I do the same as you but i do typically recoil from some of the more evil stuff like the Krogan genocide in mass effect and that type of thing. Evil can be fun if you have no attachment to the people involved which is why so many Jedi seem to turn to the dark side as they are thought to have zero attachment to anything. I do like to see all the possible options though myself as well plus playing from the other moral side can yield a very different experience.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Added thought: I think my dilemma is this.

On one hand, when I play the evil character, sooner or later, something I do will actually make me feel bad.
On the other hand, I almost always find the aesthetics of the good side to be really underwhelming, and also tend to balk at some of the limitations that are supposedly a necessary part of being good.

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I usually play the good one at first (*coff* Fallout 3 *coff*), but then get so obsessed with what ifs that I replay the game and choose the other one. It's usually funnier like that, some games are made to be played in "good mode" and the bad one is just a side story or less interesting.

FO3 spoiler:

In Life is strange I got so annoyed by "the good path" and Max's social justice attitude that I chose the bad one. Same thing with the Stanley's parable, even if I had to explore all the scenarios.
Sooooo, why not both?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I play games I way prefer to play open ended games with no imposed morality, like minecraft and various explorations games. I find narrative games too imposing. I tend towards 'good' actions by my own moral standards, but what does that say, really?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My first playthrough of a story heavy, I make my choices based on how I would actually respond to the situation. Depending on the game, that usually lands me a true neutral route (Catherine, Shadow the Hedgehog, Mass Effect) or a true lawful end (Mystic Messenger).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't play games, I just watch others play them, however, I think I would go for evil, I find evil to be the most interesting..

Evil SHOULD be interesting. The problem is that so many games these days have shit-writing. The stories are so ham-fisted Rob Leefield would find them ridiculous.

As it goes " the path to hell is paved with good intentions" Now that would be decent writing. Put the player in a very difficult situation have them choose between really tough decisions just to survive, or maybe one of those admittedly cliche time-travel stories where you think you are doing the right thing in the past but end up causing the horrible thing they are trying to prevent. THAT would be interesting.

" A teammate you've been at odds with is dying on the field do you: A) Tear off your sleeves to bandage them before helping them to a safe zone b) Kick them and steal their rationsthen laugh as you run away flipping the bird
...is not interesting. IIt actually sounds like it's been written by a 12 yr olf CoD duty fan...or a Blizzard writer.... I mean a 12 yr old CoD fan.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I play games I way prefer to play open ended games with no imposed morality, like minecraft and various explorations games. I find narrative games too imposing. I tend towards 'good' actions by my own moral standards, but what does that say, really?

But alignment does exist in some games that are not especially rigid in narrative structure.