• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In games do you go for the good or evil path (If both which do you go for first)?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do the same as you but i do typically recoil from some of the more evil stuff like the Krogan genocide in mass effect and that type of thing. Evil can be fun if you have no attachment to the people involved which is why so many Jedi seem to turn to the dark side as they are thought to have zero attachment to anything. I do like to see all the possible options though myself as well plus playing from the other moral side can yield a very different experience.

I like it better when the play is ambiguous... something might look evil on the surface but maybe there's a good reason someone is doing something, and you're weighing goods or weighing evils against themselves.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I laugh as I run over hookers and crash into other cars and kill police officers and have no qualms about it

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
To be honest there isn't much overlap between a 12 year old kid writing random stories and a Blizzard writer as Blizzard is terrible at writing characters. Thrall is basically green Jesus, Varian the basic dark brooding guy, Aunduin the naïve and not very bright idealist and so on. I think that games could experiment with just more than the basic idea of good and bad as most good and bad as you said boils down to give the beggar 30 gold pieces vs kick him and steal everything from him. . There's also law and chaos, natural vs intervener and so on.

That is what I meant when I said " ...I mean a 12 yr old CoD writer." They are the same thing. Bliz's writing is just..atrocious? That doesn't quite cut it. It's...very,very,very,very,very bad.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't play a lot of video games. On occasion. I think the last I played was FarCry3. First person shooters stuff. Before that, there was a Walking Dead game that measured your choices against others, and that was pretty cool.

There wasn't a right/wrong aspect just that every choice had a consequence. Best intentions didn't pan out like you thought type thing. I thought that game was well done, in that regard.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usually evil, they have the fun stuff to play with. Then i choose good as they are usually stronger.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
What i do like is games that dont have a morality meter but something that pushes you to make choices based on your own judgement whether it be logical or moral judgement without an external source to make you lean more one or the other.

The first time I played through Dark Souls I had a feeling that maybe I should have killed that guy I let out of the cell based on the tone of his voice...but I assumed killing an NPC was absurd, and that I would eventually be rewarded by him somehow in someway. I mean, why else have him in the game? And what harm could he possibly do?

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The first time I played through Dark Souls I had a feeling that maybe I should have killed that guy I let out of the cell based on the tone of his voice...but I assumed killing an NPC was absurd, and that I would eventually be rewarded by him somehow in someway. I mean, why else have him in the game? And what harm could he possibly do?

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Exactly :happy2:. Like in real life good deeds can bite you on the ass. Like say you help some homeless dude by letting him in your house then he stabbs you and takes all your stuff or that guy who pleaded innocence in that cell is a planet destroyer e.t.c

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When the game doesn't punish me for it, I usually play roguish characters which means a decent amount of selfishness, sarcasm and general trickery. This worked perfectly in DA2, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect with the rivalry, closed fist, and renegade alignment paths. In DA:Inquisition I felt like I was forced into playing the good guy due to the whole "since you're the Herald you must close the Breach!" driven plot.

I got bored of playing the lawful good hero many many games ago. The reactions to rude and blunt characters are more entertaining. I almost never play "kick the puppy cause I can" evil characters because that's just as boring as the lawful good ones with none of the feel good and in-game benefits.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When the game doesn't punish me for it, I usually play roguish characters which means a decent amount of selfishness, sarcasm and general trickery. This worked perfectly in DA2, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect with the rivalry, closed fist, and renegade alignment paths. In DA:Inquisition I felt like I was forced into playing the good guy due to the whole "since you're the Herald you must close the Breach!" driven plot.

I got bored of playing the lawful good hero many many games ago. The reactions to rude and blunt characters are more entertaining. I almost never play "kick the puppy cause I can" evil characters because that's just as boring as the lawful good ones with none of the feel good and in-game benefits.

I do like to play sarcastic and jokey characters who are cynical and witty but with a kind heart underneath it all as i cannot play kick the dog evil but nether can i enjoy being the boy scout lawful good ether. I am basically Varric from DA in real life as i relate a lot to him with similar personalities, life outlook and therefore i always play as him in DA 2 and DA I.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do like to play sarcastic and jokey characters who are cynical and witty but with a kind heart underneath it all as i cannot play kick the dog evil but nether can i enjoy being the boy scout lawful good ether. I am basically Varric from DA in real life as i relate a lot to him with similar personalities, life outlook and therefore i always play as him in DA 2 and DA I.

Varric is definitely one of the more interesting non-lawful characters in a series. I'd still classify him as "essentially" good though. He gets pissy when you opt immediately for violence over negotiation or screw over underdogs. My typical character is pretty similar to Zevran's temperament - compulsive flirtatiousness included.

Jellyfish1234

It depends on what I'm wanting out of the game - if I'm wanting a really intense story that I can really connect to, I'll usually go with the good option because it feels more believable for me. But if it's a game where you can choose to be a angelic hero or an evil dark lord or something, I'm always attracted to the dark side. I always have been actually. I love villains and psychos and darkness and chaos and destruction. I wonder what that says about me haha.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good guys, just not rule obeyers. I struggle to enjoy any game where I am forced to be evil. Anti-hero is fine, as it appeals to my inner ISTP. Rules and structures are often capricious and arbitrary, so being good means breaking rules occassionally...

On replay, I tend to play a different style of character. Though I did blow up Megaton one play through in FO3, earning me a posh suite in the high rise. But then I killed everyone there with the ghouls.....I don't believe I finished that play through.

I just find even playing evil characters near impossible. On Bioshock, I rescued instead of drained.....

I gave up GTA and a few other games soon after I got them because I just couldn't play them.....

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I always stick with good. It pisses me off royally when others are abused and taken advantage of. It's difficult for me to find the amusement in playing a character who behaves selfishly and does the same. It's probably because I'm an 8. 8s are sensitive to power imbalances, and we especially hate seeing vulnerable people victimized. Growth towards 2 is also a factor.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to want to front off a good position. Fable 1 (extended version on pc) did reward you for being good overall more than evil.

If the plot line sucks, I tend to do evil, but even then evil gets boring. Death only ends and limits opportunities. Plus I think being evil is overrated. Yeah being good is cliche, but we only play video games for entertainment so do what does you right, right?

SA2 doesn't count for being evil lol, they both end up being good.

Plus everything I do is connected whether virtual or real. It's better to head towards growth, at least for me. I trade in that 1 marshmallow for 2. Ya dig?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just be "me" which just happens to be in the good category. But playing evll is fun, being the most corrupt version you can be.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For serious, though. I actually don't remember playing many games where you make a bunch of real moral choices. I've never been big into games with stories. I like "excuse plots," really. Go fight monsters because there's a princess in danger or whatever

Though Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) is a favorite roguelike of mine. At the beginning, you choose a race and class and you have the same objectives (for the most part) to shoot for regardless. You also have the standard Lawful/Neutral/Evil scale. Paladins and assassins and farmers(??) too.

Now, the Chaos Knight is an interesting class, because he starts off as so evil that most everybody already hates him. Folks who would normally give you quests to fulfill so you can proceed just plain don't talk to you because you're a dick. So the challenge there is in finding alternative ways to accomplish things. That might mean pissing innocent people off so that they pursue you and give you the opportunity to run past them, or hedging your bets and just trying to kill them. So it's more a different way to play the game.

I don't know if I'm married to a particular ideology in video games, but I'm not going to just hold Block in Mortal Kombat or obey all traffic laws in GTA.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Like with Dragon Age, Mass effect and many other games of that sort do you tend to go for the nice or nasty option and why?. I myself tend to go for the good option as i just feel dirty if i choose the bad option even though i wish i could be that badass evil guy who doesnt give a shit about what others think. Pehaps there is a link between game morality and typology.

Honestly I try to play pretty much in the middle first play through and most often. I also have good characters and evil characters. But I usually loose interest pretty quickly. video games can be kinda boring to me.
d3097a0d40e9fc75b1f145da68d813691376637316_full.jpg