• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Board game fetishes

Universal mind

I want to see what some peoples favorite board games are and why you think it links with your MBTI.

I love Monopoly and Risk for example. Although I'm currently discovering my type, I love the idea of assembling strategies and feeling that element of concurring.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have never lost a game of Monopoly. Fight me.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cards Against Humanity. Always.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have a thing for blokus.

Bit less of a thing for boggle but still a thing.

A thing for Risk. And sequence.

Another lesser thing for Clue.

And card games- especially euchre- are an absolute YES.

Games I hate. And have always hated.

Sorry.

Summerizes my feelings well for it.

Trouble.

Aggravation.

Shoots and ladders.

Any game really that involves absolutely no skill- I get very blegh because they just do nothing for me- they just arent fun really. Winning by total luck has always frustrated me.

Games Ive grown... unfond of.

Life(after having to play it 400 bazillian times whenever my younger cousins came over)

Candyland. (Same deal)

But for the most part I LOVE a good game.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'll list some games, but i am uninterested in linking them to my type (making a game marketable and therefore likely for me to play most often requires making them appealing to many types of people)... some of these are card games; sue me...

dungeons and dragons
magic the gathering
plague and pestilence
paranoia xp
skullduggery
pandemic
apples to apples
pathfinder
settlers of catan
big eyes small mouth
mr game
lunch money
mage: the ascension
exploding kittens
shadowrun
mou (i love this card game... the only rules are i can't tell you the rules)
rifts
othello
mindtrap

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I like Settlers of Catan. Zombie in my pocket is good too.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dominion
Carcassonne
Smallworld
Suburbia
Pandemic
Scrabble
Rummikub

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Avalon, Mystery of the Abbey, Sheriff of Nottingham, Exploding kittens, Dead of Winter, ... :)

Basically social interaction games, both short and sweet and long and complex, mystery games with or without coded messages, and co-op games, with or without a traitor element.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Kittens, Red Dragon Inn: appeal to my sense of humor

Ticket To Ride, Deck building games like Ascension, Citadels, Risk, Canasta, Shadow Hunters: appeal to me because strategy

Party games like Telestrations or Pictionary: appeal to my creative side

Simple games like Flux, Seven Dragons, Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock, Zombie Dice, Spotify: appeal to my sense of fun

Bananagrams, Boggle: appeal to my Ti

Interestingly, although I like cooperative games like Pandemic and Betrayal at House on the Hill, my favorite games tend to allow the competitive side of me to come out in an acceptable way, though I find I would rather play for fun than to win.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Settlers of fucking Catan is the best 3+ player board game ever made.

Or LOTR The Confrontation for 2 player.

Cards Against Humanity. Always.

I played that game once, and honestly I just don't get the fad. It's like playing with the illusion of creativity, but basically just taking turns at reading random prewritten sentences. Whatever cognitive functions enjoy that game, I have none of them.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Fleet Series board game. It's a theater-level modern naval war-game developed through consultation with a military think tank to be true to reality. I also like RISK.

Wargamers by MBTI type:
surveyresults.jpg

^ Wargamers are disproportionately INTJs. I wonder if INTJs tend to like military simulations in particular, or the simulation genre as a whole.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Arkham Horror
Betrayal at house on the hill
Kill Dr Lucky
( boardish card games)
Spite and Malice
Guillatine

I don't know if it has any thing to do with my type at all but I can tell you exactly why I like these types of games: I like that they are full of action, something is always happening and you nee to think on your feet I like to win by fighting monsters. I love that they are different every time. I also love any game that can always get worse. For some reason, I find it hilarious to see just how poorly things can get. If in the end we all die horribly I'll be the one to die of laughter. And, I can't lie; I love any game where I can turn on the other players.

What I think may be more telling about my "type" would be that I despise games like "Trains" ( Ticket to ride? I think it's called.) You just collect colored cards (train routes/cars? some stupid shit like that) and the person with the longest route wins. I would sincerely rather play a game of Russian Roulette; if I lost it'd at least be over quickly. My super-lame friends played it every Friday...repeatedly.. They would get SO fucking into it and I kind of wanted to kill them all -for their own good- because seriously, if your life is THAT uninteresting that you would not only choose to waste time on something like that but actually find it exciting and invigorating engaging then your life is meaningless and you should just end it.
( I'm speaking in hyperbole of course. I am truly gobsmacked at how insanely boring these specific people are but I am sure there are people out there who know how to make it fun...at least for one round I would still never play it.)

Hm. I think this more telling of my Enneagram than MBTI.

The Fleet Series board game. It's a theater-level modern naval war-game developed through consultation with a military think tank to be true to reality. I also like RISK.

Wargamers by MBTI type:
surveyresults.jpg

^ Wargamers are disproportionately INTJs. I wonder if INTJs tend to like military simulations in particular, or the simulation genre as a whole.

I find that INTJ's love anything with a mind-numbingly complex system of rules. That way they can spend the game arguing, nit-picking and paying far more attention to the rulebook than the game itself. I swear if you made a board game where the point was to argue the nuances and loop holes of the rules they'd never play anything else.

I personally like games somewhere in between. I hate overly simple collection games: First person to happen to draw all of x cards wins" put me to sleep because they are just too simple while strategy games do the same because I've lost interest before anyone even understands how to play.

I love..tactical games. Like DW/Sw warriors tactics. You make decisions and tell your various units what to do during battle but it is not like the war sims where you have to spend years building up to the war itself.
And, as my friends have accurately stated: I'm a brilliant tactician, and a terrible strategist.

Cards Against Humanity, Exploding Kittens, Red Dragon Inn: appeal to my sense of humor

Ticket To Ride, Deck building games like Ascension, Citadels, Risk, Canasta, Shadow Hunters: appeal to me because strategy

Party games like Telestrations or Pictionary: appeal to my creative side

Simple games like Flux, Seven Dragons, Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock, Zombie Dice, Spotify: appeal to my sense of fun

Bananagrams, Boggle: appeal to my Ti

Interestingly, although I like cooperative games like Pandemic and Betrayal at House on the Hill, my favorite games tend to allow the competitive side of me to come out in an acceptable way, though I find I would rather play for fun than to win.

Ah yes Pandemic: that was the other game that I hated almost as much as Ticket to ride. I sincerely did not understand the point. You just pick up cards and moved around the board. I did not understand why my friends brought that game into my house, other than the fact that they are very selfish, knew damned well I would not like it, and just didn't give a shit because THEY wanted to play it.

Then they left the rest of played Betryal and I murdered everyone. Really saved the evening.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find that INTJ's love anything with a mind-numbingly complex system of rules. That way they can spend the game arguing, nit-picking and paying far more attention to the rulebook than the game itself. I swear if you made a board game where the point was to argue the nuances and loop holes of the rules they'd never play anything else.

This applies somewhat, but I think this is more descriptive of ISTJs. INTJs are more often of a "screw the details" (Ni) mentality.

but it is not like the war sims where you have to spend years building up to the war itself.
And, as my friends have accurately stated: I'm a brilliant tactician, and a terrible strategist.

Actually, war sims are almost entirely tactical, with little input for strategy (They're just slower paced). Strategy is a more timeless and holistic line of thinking along the lines of Sun Tzu's The Art of War. War sims are indeed slow paced, but you don't go through years (more along the lines of a few hours) of set up, I think you're talking about grand strategy games.

I don't know anything about Dynasty warriors, but I think games with dynamic and split second decision making (especially fighting games like Soul Caliber) would be fitting for your tastes as you describe them.