• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

my perspectives

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I go to art museums just to watch people observe art rather than to look at the art itself. I like seeing people interested, confused, moved, but I love seeing the people who are bored, who quickly wander from exhibit to exhibit because it's so real. I like seeing kids throw pennies into fountains because I know they believe their wishes will come true. Sometimes I wake up and am moved for no reason at all except that the sun rose and I feel so lucky that I can do even the dumbest things. I just want to share that feeling with everyone. If the world is a windmill, I want to move the windmill with the wind of forethought or change. I want to be a catalyst. That's what I see as art. Not just observing, but becoming.

Does anyone relate at all to this?

SurreyArtGalleryCollection.jpg

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
The way you speak of art is similar to how I view architecture. Architecture is not just the movement through space, or even the spaces themselves, but is the container and its inhabitants as they interact with and within the space. It is that captured motion and vitality that creates architecture. A study in human interaction and psychology.

I never thought of visiting an art museum with the intention of people watching but I can certainly see it as a prime location to do so. What I find interesting about that prospect, art as instigator, is it begs the question, are you witnessing someone's reaction to an object, witnessing someone's reaction to an artist, through that art piece, or witnessing someone react to their own reactions upon being met with an art piece they subjectively find so tantalizing and moving. Perhaps, all the above or none of the above. It's that subjectivity in art that I personally find so captivating.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The way you speak of art is similar to how I view architecture. Architecture is not just the movement through space, or even the spaces themselves, but is the container and its inhabitants as they interact with and within the space. It is that captured motion and vitality that creates architecture. A study in human interaction and psychology.

I never thought of visiting an art museum with the intention of people watching but I can certainly see it as a prime location to do so. What I find interesting about that prospect, art as instigator, is it begs the question, are you witnessing someone's reaction to an object, witnessing someone's reaction to an artist, through that art piece, or witnessing someone react to their own reactions upon being met with an art piece they subjectively find so tantalizing and moving. Perhaps, all the above or none of the above. It's that subjectivity in art that I personally find so captivating.

I love the way you think about architecture and account for negative space and human interaction with objects. Architecture as it interacts with nature is also interesting to think about. It's especially apparent in abandoned buildings and the like.

I think you are witnessing all of the above, and by being witness you are adding a layer of interaction. So it adds an extra dimension to art, which is really just human experience condensed. Viewing it as a person reacting to their own reactions is especially poignant because people always see themselves reflected in art. That's why, though art is subjective, it's understandable across perspectives.

DrawingHands.jpg

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Sometimes I go to art museums just to watch people observe art rather than to look at the art itself. I like seeing people interested, confused, moved, but I love seeing the people who are bored, who quickly wander from exhibit to exhibit because it's so real. I like seeing kids throw pennies into fountains because I know they believe their wishes will come true. Sometimes I wake up and am moved for no reason at all except that the sun rose and I feel so lucky that I can do even the dumbest things. I just want to share that feeling with everyone. If the world is a windmill, I want to move the windmill with the wind of forethought or change. I want to be a catalyst. That's what I see as art. Not just observing, but becoming.

Does anyone relate at all to this?

SurreyArtGalleryCollection.jpg

I relate so HARD that I literally couldn’t breathe for a few seconds when I read your post. It was as if the words wound in through my ears and pet my heart.

Every night when I go to sleep I think “I wonder what tomorrow will bring?” with a sort of wide-eyed anticipation.

In the morning I stretch and feel so grateful to be alive. To live where there is freedom. When I am in the shower I feel the hot water running down my body and focus on how good it feels against my skin. I think about how a hot shower is such a LUXURY (never mind a flushing toilet!!).

Every day I want to become more than the day I was before.

It feels as if you say [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION], that the observing is IN SERVICE to the becoming.

I feel the same about galleries! I went to see an exhibit about Picasso a couple of months ago. I ended up watching people as they milled about. I was especially interested in people who came solo…whose reactions weren’t dependent on others.

There was a little boy running around so I asked his Grandma if I could draw with him. They didn’t speak any English but I showed her my markers and papers I had in my backpack. His drawing blew my mind! He had totally grasped the show - and was communicating to me his perspective - without language.

P9_zpswdbadb7v.png

I like taking my laptop to go work in airports. I sit near the “Arrivals” area. It’s so interesting to watch the reactions between people as they are re-united.

I especially enjoy when people who are clearly not normally demonstrative, can’t help but rush forward with flushed cheeks and grasp the person they are glad to see.

LIFE is performance art. There are so many mundane but beautiful ways to be ‘artful’. Even in the way we choose to speak to one another...

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well I went to historical museums but almost never to art museums and exhibitions (I am surrounded by such boring people) most of the time it's too crowded for me to actually get to look at people's faces..
I love to see the reaction of people on my paintings, I love to show others some works of members of my family and watch their reaction, so I might relate to what you're talking about, you can feel how much the artwork worth through the eyes of those who perceive it..

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I love going to museums mostly so i can have fun with all the possibility from the objects. For instance i will look at say one of Picassos paintings and come up with ideas like "He was on drugs", "He had fun dreams", "The paintings represent the fact that relaity cannot be seen in just one way", "What would it look like if a kid drew on it" "Hey these paintings would make a good setting for a universe based on Picasso physics e.t.c.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I relate so HARD that I literally couldn’t breathe for a few seconds when I read your post. It was as if the words wound in through my ears and pet my heart.

Every night when I go to sleep I think “I wonder what tomorrow will bring?” with a sort of wide-eyed anticipation.

In the morning I stretch and feel so grateful to be alive. To live where there is freedom. When I am in the shower I feel the hot water running down my body and focus on how good it feels against my skin. I think about how a hot shower is such a LUXURY (never mind a flushing toilet!!).

Every day I want to become more than the day I was before.

It feels as if you say [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION], that the observing is IN SERVICE to the becoming.

I feel the same about galleries! I went to see an exhibit about Picasso a couple of months ago. I ended up watching people as they milled about. I was especially interested in people who came solo…whose reactions weren’t dependent on others.

There was a little boy running around so I asked his Grandma if I could draw with him. They didn’t speak any English but I showed her my markers and papers I had in my backpack. His drawing blew my mind! He had totally grasped the show - and was communicating to me his perspective - without language.

I like taking my laptop to go work in airports. I sit near the “Arrivals” area. It’s so interesting to watch the reactions between people as they are re-united.

I especially enjoy when people who are clearly not normally demonstrative, can’t help but rush forward with flushed cheeks and grasp the person they are glad to see.

LIFE is performance art. There are so many mundane but beautiful ways to be ‘artful’. Even in the way we choose to speak to one another...

What you said about wanting to become more than you were the day before sticks out to me. We inherently become more each day just by having experienced a day's more worth of life. The amazing thing is that it happens not necessarily because you are doing anything different than usual, but because you are letting the experience of life flow through you like rain. You're observing, and so I suppose you're right, that the observing is in service to the becoming.

Regarding people who go to art museums by themselves: I think their reactions are still influenced by being around others in a general sense, though it's possible they feel more comfortable being their authentic selves without friends or family present. Once I went to a Van Gogh exhibit by myself and was incredibly moved by two of his works: "The Sower" and "Wheat Fields with Reaper at Sunrise," as they represent life and death. I cried a little bit.

It's so cool that you gave the little boy markers so he could express himself. His drawing is very good and would be clearly recognizable as having been influenced by Picasso even if you hadn't said what exhibit you were at.

Part of what makes life amazing is being able to witness moments between people that are genuine... there's so much humanity in that. :D

Well I went to historical museums but almost never to art museums and exhibitions (I am surrounded by such boring people) most of the time it's too crowded for me to actually get to look at people's faces..
I love to see the reaction of people on my paintings, I love to show others some works of members of my family and watch their reaction, so I might relate to what you're talking about, you can feel how much the artwork worth through the eyes of those who perceive it..

It's so helpful as an artist to get feedback on your work from others. Their reactions can tell you key information about whether what you intended has come through for them. I would love to see some of your paintings! :bye:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not that this was a personality test, but I would be that person who quickly scan all the artwork. BUT I would take a second lap around to look at each piece slowly.

I love going to art museums for the artwork in addition to the atmosphere as well. I agree it’s entertaining to observe others reactions too. I love going alone, but it’s wonderful being with other people and getting to hear their own perspective, where I could perhaps gain a different viewpoint than I had originally. It’s like hearing another interpretation of a story. I can easily get very immersed in art, sometimes seeing different details that I haven’t witnessed before.

It’s interesting how you describe that life itself is an art form. I get those moments that you have described as well. Sometimes I even get terrified at the realization that I am alive and breathing. It sounds ridiculous, but to think that I am as small and insignificant as a tiny dot in a large universe or perhaps of multiverses and higher dimensions is a pretty frightening thought to ponder about.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I can relate in some way too.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's so helpful as an artist to get feedback on your work from others. Their reactions can tell you key information about whether what you intended has come through for them. I would love to see some of your paintings! :bye:

I agree :) I will share some of my works, I don't think there's anything extraordinary about them, however I'd love you to make a feedback of them, record your reaction on a video maybe haha

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I love the way you think about architecture and account for negative space and human interaction with objects. Architecture as it interacts with nature is also interesting to think about. It's especially apparent in abandoned buildings and the like.

I think you are witnessing all of the above, and by being witness you are adding a layer of interaction. So it adds an extra dimension to art, which is really just human experience condensed. Viewing it as a person reacting to their own reactions is especially poignant because people always see themselves reflected in art. That's why, though art is subjective, it's understandable across perspectives.

DrawingHands.jpg

Absolutely couldn't agree more. That has been my experience, not of art, but of parallel reasoning, in my observations of people when I go out and wander around the city or any other public place. There are so many common tendencies that I see between people's interactions with one another, their environment, it is obvious that though we walk individual paths and are guided towards different ends, there are always ties between each one of us that binds us to this collective we call "humanity". It's something I think people can often overlook, in their own selfish quests in life. I don't use the word selfish negatively here, as it is such a natural, survival mode of thinking, we must think of the self, and protect that self, but in so doing, it can remove us from the bigger picture at times and I feel that intrinsic unity, what it means to share in life with one another can be lost if we don't return to that perspective at least once in a while to ground ourselves. Personally, that is where I find the balance to be in life. Finding your own path and truth, while finding compassion in your fellow human traveler in this universe. There is no reason to be cruel to one another, nor is there any significance in tearing apart others. At the end of the day, we are in this together.

Art is something special and unique. To me, art is that photograph, that tangible object, that can relay that very information and understanding. Deliver our society's subconscious and knowing. Art is what reveals our pains, our virtues, our self reflection as a society and in greater scope, our humanity. Why does art get such praise over other outlets? Because art has the ability to tap into the unknown, and it has the ability to bring out truths in all of us, that we were once blind to before.

With all this talk of art, [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION], you have inspired me to visit a fine art museum again. It has been much, much too long since I felt that connection to the outside world, and to my inner world, all in one setting.

I agree :) I will share some of my works, I don't think there's anything extraordinary about them, however I'd love you to make a feedback of them, record your reaction on a video maybe haha

Nice drawings! In the first three, did you know the people in real life? Also, the ones with the keys look very realistic! I remember you posting some of them a while back. :)

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nice drawings! In the first three, did you know the people in real life? Also, the ones with the keys look very realistic! I remember you posting some of them a while back. :)

Yes I basically post them whenever I'm required to post some of my works :laugh: I don't have many drawings, I hope I can get to do more in future..
No I didn't know them, it was an old photography book and the photos were a little blurry..

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

:shock: :worthy::uwin::fiesta::bananallama: :wubbie:

Haha, sorry, no video. I'm camera-shy.

Your sketches are so amazingly realistic. The texture in the clothes and basket looks so real. You're a wonderful artist. The smoking man has such an interesting expression on his face. It makes me think he's lived a hard life and has ended up an observer and thinker who can see through people and understand them. The girl in the second sketch looks like she has a secret, like she knows something other people don't and is a little smug and a little mischievous. The third sketch makes me want to imagine the backstory of the people in it. The sketches you did on your ipad would make good advertisements for companies, too, possibly. Is your profile picture a self portrait? I hope you keep drawing more, you're so talented!!!

Absolutely couldn't agree more. That has been my experience, not of art, but of parallel reasoning, in my observations of people when I go out and wander around the city or any other public place. There are so many common tendencies that I see between people's interactions with one another, their environment, it is obvious that though we walk individual paths and are guided towards different ends, there are always ties between each one of us that binds us to this collective we call "humanity". It's something I think people can often overlook, in their own selfish quests in life. I don't use the word selfish negatively here, as it is such a natural, survival mode of thinking, we must think of the self, and protect that self, but in so doing, it can remove us from the bigger picture at times and I feel that intrinsic unity, what it means to share in life with one another can be lost if we don't return to that perspective at least once in a while to ground ourselves. Personally, that is where I find the balance to be in life. Finding your own path and truth, while finding compassion in your fellow human traveler in this universe. There is no reason to be cruel to one another, nor is there any significance in tearing apart others. At the end of the day, we are in this together.

Art is something special and unique. To me, art is that photograph, that tangible object, that can relay that very information and understanding. Deliver our society's subconscious and knowing. Art is what reveals our pains, our virtues, our self reflection as a society and in greater scope, our humanity. Why does art get such praise over other outlets? Because art has the ability to tap into the unknown, and it has the ability to bring out truths in all of us, that we were once blind to before.

With all this talk of art, @Xann, you have inspired me to visit a fine art museum again. It has been much, much too long since I felt that connection to the outside world, and to my inner world, all in one setting.

Yes... it's so easy to lose track of the fact that we all share a common link and that by hurting other people you're not only hurting them but humanity, and by extension, yourself. We're only individuals insofar as we believe we are and we can always choose when and how much we want to share in the unity. It's definitely a balance I'm still trying to find.

I hope you have an enjoyable experience at the art museum. Tell me how it goes!! :rock::cheers::hippie:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:shock: :worthy::uwin::fiesta::bananallama: :wubbie:

Haha, sorry, no video. I'm camera-shy.

Your sketches are so amazingly realistic. The texture in the clothes and basket looks so real. You're a wonderful artist. The smoking man has such an interesting expression on his face. It makes me think he's lived a hard life and has ended up an observer and thinker who can see through people and understand them. The girl in the second sketch looks like she has a secret, like she knows something other people don't and is a little smug and a little mischievous. The third sketch makes me want to imagine the backstory of the people in it. The sketches you did on your ipad would make good advertisements for companies, too, possibly. Is your profile picture a self portrait? I hope you keep drawing more, you're so talented!!!

Oh I was just kidding about the video :newwink:
Thank you for your nice words :blush: you seem to like those first 3 drawings very much :) the photos from the photography book were blurry because they were so old, that's why I don't think I captured the details properly, besides the fact that at that time I have not done any drawings for years, but I loved doing them, more skills comes with more practice..
I'm currently practicing human form, the anatomy, I put some photos of my practicing stages in the anatomy thread..
Oh I thought you knew it is a self portrait :shrug: yes this is me :D