• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Short History of Nearly Everything?

Usehername

On a mission
Anyone read Bill Bryson? I am really astounded at his ability to take something like he did and actually make it readable. If you haven't read the book... go do it.

darlets

I don't know, it only got 4 1/2 stars on amazon. I'm normally a five star book only boy. I'll see if I can track it down just for you.:hug:

Seems quite interesting. I've been reading alot of stuff like that of late. Science-lite books. (We're going to sneak the science content into the book)

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I liked it, although his emphasis seemed to be 'yet another way the earth could be destroyed by a geological process'. It covered a lot of new stuff as far as I could tell, wasn't the same old same old popular science topics.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I enjoyed it. It is science-lite, but I defy anyone to read this through and not discover something new about the world and universe they live in (because it is so wide ranging).

-Geoff

Res Ipsa Loquitur

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I highly recommend as well. We bought it on CD and listened to it in the car. Bryson narrates it and I loved listening to his voice – very calm and soothing with a slight hint of a British accent.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Bill Bryson is da bomb! Great writer!

Indeed. Every so often, when a new hiking venture depresses me (currently it is the three peaks challenge in the UK (Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike) i read a walk in the woods (may have a different name in the US?).. it is the one about hiking the Appalachian trail, and his remarkably pragmatic approach to it.

He doesn't make me laugh outloud as much as the book covers claim, but I enjoy his works.

-Geoff

darlets

The book is in da house. I bought it today. :party2: Don't go to bookstores, you spend money.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
I loved this book. But I must say, he seemed to have something against the french...it's like, every french guy in the book is one of the futile failures he cites.