• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess also we have to note the brief cameos by D&D (Benioff and Weiss) and a rather large creature any HBO viewer might recognize...

(I would have been more excited by this in 2014-2015 or something, now it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But whatever.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess also we have to note the brief cameos by D&D (Benioff and Weiss) and a rather large creature any HBO viewer might recognize...

(I would have been more excited by this in 2014-2015 or something, now it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But whatever.)

I noticed that. I'm sure it prompted a bunch of eye-rolling and groans from viewers.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rewatching Season 1. Two episodes in so far. Lots of things i'm noticing, especially now that I know all the twists.
  1. If Bernard had listened to Elsie, none of this would have happened.
  2. Evan Rachel Wood is amazing. Even in these early episodes, you can see hints of who she would become.
  3. I think the first time around, I viewed the hosts more as a kind of super-complicated machine whose workings were mysterious, and now I'm viewing them more as a different kind of human, seeing more of what actually makes them tick (ha). It's also interesting how this seems different among the park employees. Bernard seems to speak of them more as though they were people, while Elsie uses more technical, mechanical language.
  4. This did occur to me on my first viewing, but it is interesting that the thing that seems to be a catalyst for all this is the introduction of memory. The show seems to be suggesting that memory is the basis of sentience. Of course, it seems that had real thoughts and feelings before that, but what causes them to become independent is the retention of memory. Something interesting to ponder.
  5. I get the sense that Westworld was the original park, and all the other parks were added later. Sort of like the Magic Kingdom in Disney World.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm, didn't like this episode as much as the others this season.

Apparently Reddit loved it, though.

Hopefully the next episode will be better.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm, didn't like this episode as much as the others this season.

Same here, although I think the William opener was cool. (Sorry that whole bit didn't work for you.)

Otherwise... Malkovich? Malkovich MALKOVICH!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Liked this better, though, again, not as much as the first three. More in the way of interesting ideas, that's for sure.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Westworld season 3, episode 5, details you missed - Insider

Interesting bit about the kings reference we discussed prior, when they started walking through the lineage as version numbers.

Last night was a bit of a "Pause" episode, when they running shots of people's phone screens. I went back right after to freeze the frames so I had time to read.

I dunno, I'm not feeling as much this season. It feels like a less intricate, less cerebral show... although I would like to think there's a lot of stuff under the surface we just haven't had the connections to unpack yet. I'm not really sure where the Maeve/Dolores relationship is going (although maybe that will be explored next episode). And obviously there is a mystery regarding Caleb's past. I think the Francis character might end up being instrumental by end of season.

Loops, etc

The Genre drug did give them some room to have fun, I'm just sure if it had any larger point.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Westworld season 3, episode 5, details you missed - Insider

Interesting bit about the kings reference we discussed prior, when they started walking through the lineage as version numbers.

Last night was a bit of a "Pause" episode, when they running shots of people's phone screens. I went back right after to freeze the frames so I had time to read.

I dunno, I'm not feeling as much this season. It feels like a less intricate, less cerebral show... although I would like to think there's a lot of stuff under the surface we just haven't had the connections to unpack yet. I'm not really sure where the Maeve/Dolores relationship is going (although maybe that will be explored next episode). And obviously there is a mystery regarding Caleb's past. I think the Francis character might end up being instrumental by end of season.

Loops, etc

The Genre drug did give them some room to have fun, I'm just sure if it had any larger point.

Hmmm, I have to disagree that the season is less cerebral, although there is more of a tendency towards big action sequences.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ehhh.... THe problem is, all the stuff is either delivered right on the nose OR it's stuff that has already been covered in past seasons. We already have been confronted with the idea from Season 2 that humans are on their own loops, it was baked into the entire season. There is nothing here that hasn't already been addressed. That is what I mean by "less cerebral" -- my mind isn't being required to figure much out or think new ideas, really. I feel like I'm just sitting in the backseat of a car, with people giving me a guided tour of the obvious or looking out the window and seeing nothing really that new to look at. If there is stuff going on under the surface, it's so opaque that I can't really even tease out whether there is something ther.

In the face of all that, at least they could be grappling with interpersonal issues or internal questions of identity. So we've had about 1-2 episodes worth of that in 5 episodes so far, and they tended to be the better episodes. (What does it really mean for the various bots who share a template, for example? To know they are copies? Are they part of a collective or do their have their own identity? Flanagan's didn't scan as anything but a loyal dupe but should have really been a separate person, whereas the Hale version feels very much torn and disturbed... but we're not really seeing what the implications are.)

If there are some big mysteries going on, we're not really seeing quite ENOUGH bread crumbs to be lead somewhere knowing there is a mystery. The whole thing with Caleb feels pretty opaque. Like, you're discussing one of your ideas but I'm like WTF did you get that from? I don't really think there's enough bread crumbs yet for that, even if it ends up being viable. I just feel like a passenger, not a participant, in the season. It's still better than TWD honestly, but I'm not super-interested in much of a rewatch at this point. I'm riding more of a trust in Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy at this point.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This musta been the kind of thing you're referring to. Interesting.

Westworld: Who Actually Is Caleb?

Pretty much. There's a few things that don't line up but they could definitely write an explanation for those. After all, we saw Bernard talk to his wife in Season 1. The vagueness surrounding the backstory introduced in that episode makes me think they're withholding something because it's going to play a bigger role. That thing I speculated about would make sense

I love season 3, the twist on episode 4 is really awesome.

I wasn't too crazy about that one, but episode 4 of season 2 is my favorite episode of the series. I liked the twists in that episode a lot better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Geez. Lots of plot happened tonight. Not sure how Charbotte's gonna proceed...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Geez. Lots of plot happened tonight. Not sure how Charbotte's gonna proceed...

This one was pretty good... up to the level of the first three, I thought.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dolores this season is my favorite Dolores.In season 2 they seemed to be moving more towards making her a pure villain, but I feel like this is a much more interesting direction. She's brutal in her methods at times but not without some sense of humanity (heh).