• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Westworld (2016)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

It's getting so good!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Theresa:

Arnold + Ford:
Here's a link discussing this a bit further (in context of what you said). the gist is that it's not entirely clear who certain people are, so multiple conclusions are still in play.
https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/5bjz98/a_note_about_ford_and_arnold/

There's also the thing about the logo that ceecee mentioned. so it means that one of the theories I brought up prior (about William) could have some teeth. It wouldn't be surprising; Nolan is notorious for multi-dimensional story lines and you can't quite trust what he's feeding you, which is one reason I like him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 7:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA1!! YEsssssss!!!

I'm pretty sure we have discussed one of the major developments here as a possibility before.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Episode 7:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA1!! YEsssssss!!!

I'm pretty sure we have discussed one of the major developments here as a possibility before.

When they admitted that the fans were getting "warmer" on their theories, I figure it was this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Episode 8: Decent enough, although the writing (or directing?) felt a little weaker in terms of meshing with earlier narrative. Mostly Maeve is the must-see here. I'm glad they opened with the fallout regarding Bernard, though; that was good.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Episode 8: Decent enough, although the writing (or directing?) felt a little weaker in terms of meshing with earlier narrative. Mostly Maeve is the must-see here. I'm glad they opened with the fallout regarding Bernard, though; that was good.

Yeah I think they wanted to make two points in this episode - Maeve and the MiB and his background. At least most of it. This isn't a show that you can watch and fold laundry or something, I've learned. It requires full attention.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What I don't get is why Maeve Millay (Thandie Newton) gets to do what she wants with the technicians, Felix Lutz (Leonardo Nam), Sylvester (Ptolemy Slocum) and why they don't just stop it. That just seems like one of those BS reasons to get the story to start like in the movie The Martian (2015) with Matt Damon as Mark Watney.

How does the milk portray growth? I just thought it was another backstory waiting to be told.

At some point, I started suspecting that there is another android on Dr Robert Ford's level, Base Level 0, which turned out to be Bernard Lowe (Jeffrey Wright), as it would be too simple if they all only existed in Base Level 1, or themed park.

One thing that I really feel left out on are the references to Shake Spear and words they use to exchange to "activate" each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Man in Black is also an Android because he has free reign even when the centre control asked if he needed to be reigned in.

There is another scene where Bernard Lowe has a flash back, right before he asks, has he ever done anything like this before, with a short recall to Elsie Hughes (Shannon Woodward) being taken out. Now as far as I recall, he was talking to her on the phone while it happened. Which I thought it couldn't be him and even if it is him, why? I guess that will be revealed later. My guess is, it is something they, the hosts have set up trying to get out? Of course, pure speculation.

Then there is this naked character, Charlotte Hale (Tessa Thompson), with authority walking around ordering Lee Sizemore (Simon Quarterman) and hosts that seems similar to Logan (Ben Barnes). I don't understand the hype they are trying to create, seems pointless to me. Maybe with time, later in the story it will make sense.

I like the show, reminds me of how good the re-imagined BSG used to be. But that Maeve Millay character really just spoils it for me, feels like a plot hole to me. They could have stopped it right then and there, I have a feeling the ending is going to be something similar.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha, I just remembered where I saw the bad-ass Hector (Rodrigo Santoro) before -- in Lost.

He played the ill-fated Paulo, of Nikki and Paulo fame who get an exquisite ending in Season 3 because the fan base hated the pair of them so much.

Nikki_Paulo_Lost.JPG

He's much better here in Westworld, tbh.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoa.

Well, I'm gonna need time to process this episode (s01e09). That was a lot. And painful.

Side note:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Whoa.

Well, I'm gonna need time to process this episode (s01e09). That was a lot. And painful.

Side note:

Lots to unpack, going to re watch tomorrow. I love this show.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
haha, I just remembered where I saw the bad-ass Hector (Rodrigo Santoro) before -- in Lost.

He played the ill-fated Paulo, of Nikki and Paulo fame who get an exquisite ending in Season 3 because the fan base hated the pair of them so much.

Nikki_Paulo_Lost.JPG

He's much better here in Westworld, tbh.

I have a hard time seeing him as anything other than....

e24c7885abee30f2d38091fe563f9415.jpg

...but he is better in Westworld, I agree.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
List of the biggest mysteries hinted at / solved in Episode 9. (So don't read until viewing, spoilers abound.)
‘Westworld’ Episode 9 Recap: Don’t Call Him Billy [Video]

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
List of the biggest mysteries hinted at / solved in Episode 9. (So don't read until viewing, spoilers abound.)
‘Westworld’ Episode 9 Recap: Don’t Call Him Billy [Video]

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bernard is Arnold, Arnold is Bernard, or at least that is how I understood it. Arnold was a host too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bernard is Arnold, Arnold is Bernard, or at least that is how I understood it. Arnold was a host too.

From what's been in the show so far, Arnold was human and was killed.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From what's been in the show so far, Arnold was human and was killed.

Well, I think he never was, but I could be missing something. Who was the 3rd guy in the photo?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I think he never was, but I could be missing something. Who was the 3rd guy in the photo?

Not Robert Ford and not Arnold Weber.

He looks like the host emulating Ford's father who we saw in the cottage. So potentially it's Ford's father.

arnold-and-fords-father-in-westworld-comparison-700x417.jpg

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hasn't been properly explained, but it could be Ford's father. Whoever it is, Ford modelled the father of the mock family after him.

Also, Ford says that Bernard's memory of his song dying, his "cornerstone", is a sort of homage (to Arnold), implying that Arnold himself struggled with some sort of loss. I think that's why Arnold became obsessed with unlocking humanity in the hosts, to gain back whoever he had lost, likely his own son.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are the chances of every single staff member being a host controlled by Ford? During Bernard's flashback to the pillow talk between him and Theresa, she freezes, just like a host. If this happened or if it's just a distortion of his memory is unclear, but it doesn't seem unlikely that she wasn't human. Hosts can kill other hosts, but not humans unless their programming is screwed with. Unless Ford has somehow programmed Bernard to be able to kill other people but not his creator, I think it's a feasible theory. We also know that, besides having hosts among the higher ups of the park, they also employ them for jobs such as park greeters, which implies that hosts can be found at any level of the organization.

We also never see anything that implies any staff member ever leaves the building. Is the park at such a remote location that it simply would be inconvenient to leave, or is it because they can't without detonating their built-in bombs?

Also, remember how the Man in Black remarks that "nothing in Westworld is an accident"? Lee Sizemore = Less is more. An ironic joke, courtesy of his creator perhaps.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would seem odd and unlikely for Theresa to have been a host. Why would Ford have sicc'ed Bernard on her? he could have done whatever he wanted to her and wiped her memory in an instant, he certainly didn't have to handle it THAT way.

Also, this would suggest the external board would have to be hosts, if they didn't figure out Theresa was a host. These are the same folks trying to run Ford out. Again, doesn't make sense since they are external to the park (supposedly) and Ford has no power over them except to play what games he has been playing. If he were in charge, he could handle it much differently and far more easily.

I think it's definitely possible there are more hosts on staff we are unaware of. But not that everyone is. The other common candidate has been Stubbs, but that might be addressed in the season finale since he had a not-so-happy encounter with definite hosts last episode.