• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

4 week Vacation Ideas

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm looking for vacation ideas. In Feb 2010, the olympic games are going to be in town. And I'm not. This means I have about 4 weeks of vacation that I need to plan, and have been looking for ideas.

I have a few ideas already... but I want to hear what other people have to say. I would like to move around a fair bit, but certainly would object to a single good place!

- I considered visiting Europe. I have family in Denmark, Non has family in London, and we have friends in Paris during that time. All would put us up, making it a pretty awesome trip. Downside? It's february. In Paris and Denmark. That's a pretty big downside. Upside? I would totally get to visit some people from here, heh.

- I've looked into a 3-5 week cruise, covering the pacfic rim. This means I'd probably hit the big (and farther down, Feb = summer) parts, like hawaii, australia, new zealand, signapore, japan, hong kong, china... It can be expensive, but at the same time, food and board is already included and I don't have to worry about other transportation. Plus, I get to plan less and enjoy more! Downside? Not many, really. Somewhat expensive. Have to fly through the US, unless I can catch one here in Vancouver. Don't really get to meet anyone, or do anything local. Would be very relaxing, I'm sure.

- I've looked into spending a week, or multiple weeks, at various resorts. Places like Sandals, sure, but also Jalouise and Le Sport Body. They seem like an ok idea, but I get really mixed reviews from every resort. Seems hit or miss, and also not something I may enjoy (and then be stuck with). It does cost less than cruising, but most of the appeal comes from drinking. Neither Non or I drink, so that makes it even less appealing. I could head to a nicer place (Four Seasons, etc), but that'd be ridiculously expensive, even at a discounted rate.

I haven't drawn up a budget yet (ok, well, I have... and you all know I have... so meh... but I'm not limiting myself yet :D )...

What would you do? Any suggestions/done it before/done any of the above things?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I say work through the four weeks and use the extra money to buy your wife a ring.

Zing!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I say work through the four weeks and use the extra money to buy your wife a ring.

Zing!

;) We have a fair bit of money tucked away because I didn't do that, and so now I can take a vacation!

Besides, I have to take the vacation days :p I don't have an option to work through them.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
February in Paris and Denmark? Nah. Maybe if it was right down in the Med... yeah.

How about a road trip around California and Mexico?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Vancouver?

People who want to go on vacation tend to never think about what their own city has to offer.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Vancouver?

People who want to go on vacation tend to never think about what their own city has to offer.

I'd love to go to Vancouver too, Uber, but I think his point is that he doesn't want to deal with the probably rather cataclysmic hassle of the Olympics being in town, and avoiding that is the perfect opportunity to go somewhere *else*. I tend to agree... even if I have thought about trying to get to see them someday :D.

As for vacation ideas, I'm pretty much out - the cruise sounds quite nice, though. Most of my vacation ideas are summer-type ones, and wouldn't be too enjoyable in February :D.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
February in Paris and Denmark? Nah. Maybe if it was right down in the Med... yeah.

How about a road trip around California and Mexico?

I was thinking about this, but there is nothing of huge appeal here for me. I've been to mexico and california a few times. I was thinking about going from east to west, up and down... but this being february, there are huge areas I wouldn't want to touch due to weather/etc.

I was looking at south america and the antarctic though!

I'd love to go to Vancouver too, Uber, but I think his point is that he doesn't want to deal with the probably rather cataclysmic hassle of the Olympics being in town, and avoiding that is the perfect opportunity to go somewhere *else*. I tend to agree... even if I have thought about trying to get to see them someday :D.

As for vacation ideas, I'm pretty much out - the cruise sounds quite nice, though. Most of my vacation ideas are summer-type ones, and wouldn't be too enjoyable in February :D.

I work right down from the convention center and live just down the street from some of the events. It'll be the worst 4 weeks of my life o_O

I'm leaning towards the cruise, but I haven't given up hope on the spa resort!

DISNEYWORLD!!!!

:p I'm not as young as I used to be!

Usehername

On a mission
1. Get SCUBA diving licenses; go to either Australia or the Galapagos Islands and do a week-long tour of diving in the ocean while living on a boat. You can also surf the days around this. If you do the Galapagos Islands tour, you can also hike the Andes and explore the tropics.

2. Go to Africa; go on safari. Pet penguins. Ride the amusement parks, go surfing at world class surfing spots... there's lots to do.

3. Spend the money you would on airfare to go to Banff/Jasper/Canmore and buy yourself some skis or snowboards. Take the time to learn.

4. Go to Asia; it's probably cheaper for you to fly there because of it being Vancouver and all.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
1. Get SCUBA diving licenses; go to either Australia or the Galapagos Islands and do a week-long tour of diving in the ocean while living on a boat. You can also surf the days around this. If you do the Galapagos Islands tour, you can also hike the Andes and explore the tropics.

2. Go to Africa; go on safari. Pet penguins. Ride the amusement parks, go surfing at world class surfing spots... there's lots to do.

3. Spend the money you would on airfare to go to Banff/Jasper/Canmore and buy yourself some skis or snowboards. Take the time to learn.

4. Go to Asia; it's probably cheaper for you to fly there because of it being Vancouver and all.

Those are... awesome ideas. I probably wouldn't do the skiing thing - Non and I already ski, so taking 4 weeks in a row to do it wouldn't be quite novel enough :D

That also reminded me of thinking about doing Mount Kilimanjaro or similar.

Anyway, excellent ideas... added to the planning spreadsheet to price!

Usehername

On a mission
Those are... awesome ideas. I probably wouldn't do the skiing thing - Non and I already ski, so taking 4 weeks in a row to do it wouldn't be quite novel enough :D

That also reminded me of thinking about doing Mount Kilimanjaro or similar.

Anyway, excellent ideas... added to the planning spreadsheet to price!

Sweet:)

Let me know how pricing goes for you (seriously)--I've done the Africa one but hope to do all the others at some point!

Mt Kilimanjaro has an easy route that if you go slowly you don't even have to have trained to do it, or so my cousin who did it says. If you do Africa, specifically South Africa, I have tons of places you could check into.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Africa doesn't have any quality amusement parks that I'm aware of.

How about Detroit?