• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music for creative time

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I've seen lots of threads related to music (most to MBTI/Enneagram types), but none about what music people choose when they want to create, so here it is.

* What do you create? Sculptures? Origami? Do you draw? Paint? (figurative or abstract?) Write? (Prose or poetry?)

* When you create, do you listen to music or prefer silence/city noise, etc?

* What music do you choose and why? Examples are ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ welcomed.

* Do you choose different types of music depending on the result you want to get? New music or music you already know?

... or you can just post a video, no worries.

I draw, both figurative and abstract stuff, and write mostly prose-poems, short stories and short novels, and I create different playlists for the scene I want to describe/draw. I also choose different songs depending on the feeling the characters are experiencing. I only use silence when the stories/landscapes are in silence and I feel it's important to capture qualities of said muteness.

When I feel like starting a project but I don't have anything in mind (not a goal), I choose playlists, preferably entire discographies of bands whose sound is "constant and identifiable", so at some point my brain is set in the mood of the band but stops listening to the lyrics. I avoid new music, unless it's instrumental, because I get distracted trying to get what the lyrics say.

Examples:

Discographies:

Rouskyrie

I've seen lots of threads related to music (most to MBTI/Enneagram types), but none about what music people choose when they want to create, so here it is.

* What do you create? Sculptures? Origami? Do you draw? Paint? (figurative or abstract?) Write? (Prose or poetry?)

* Do you choose different types of music depending on the result you want to get? New music or music you already know?

I draw, both figurative and abstract stuff, and write mostly prose-poems, short stories and short novels, and I create different playlists for the scene I want to describe/draw. I also choose different songs depending on the feeling the characters are experiencing. I only use silence when the stories/landscapes are in silence and I feel it's important to capture qualities of said muteness.

When I feel like starting a project but I don't have anything in mind (not a goal), I choose playlists, preferably entire discographies of bands whose sound is "constant and identifiable", so at some point my brain is set in the mood of the band but stops listening to the lyrics. I avoid new music, unless it's instrumental, because I get distracted trying to get what the lyrics say.

Examples:

Discographies:

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you for creating this thread.

I write songs that are mostly rooted in dark themes such as my predictions for the future of humankind, corruption and death.

I prefer to listen to music. However, after my inspiration has been gathered, if the music were to cease for whatever reason, (Power outage, the crashing of an app, etc) it doesn't matter, as I'm too into thought to notice. :p

I don't have specific musical choices. I can find inspiration from whatever happens to play. I would say music I already know, but then again I spend a good majority of time every day purposely trying to find music I haven't heard.

Here are some examples of songs I enjoy listening to while writing:

Polyenso - 17 New Years - YouTube

The Icarus Account - Mayday - YouTube

Hotel Books "I Died With You" - YouTube

EarlyRise - Sober - YouTube

Katatonia - Lethean Official Video HD - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkc08_dR-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oguptPR9NWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1S-YBtbx4

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=29179]Rouskyrie[/MENTION]

Thanks for your answer! Sorry it took so long to reply, first I was in the subway and I wanted to listen to all the links :)

Wow, I never even thought about writing lyrics! I'd love to do that, but I feel I need to do that accompanied from an instrument, otherwise I'd do disasters. How's your writing method? Do you play any instrument?

Oh, I spend a lot of time checking for new music too... wherever Youtube takes me, haha

Let me tell you I was so glad when I saw Katatonia and Arch Enemy!!! I didn't know the rest of the bands, but I loved Polyenso and EarlyRise (I attached a little doodle I did on the subway while listening to them --so forgive the ugly lines of my hyperbolic paraboloids, and the crappy quality of the camera)

weirdthing.jpg

Rouskyrie

Thanks for your answer! Sorry it took so long to reply, first I was in the subway and I wanted to listen to all the links :)

Wow, I never even thought about writing lyrics! I'd love to do that, but I feel I need to do that accompanied from an instrument, otherwise I'd do disasters. How's your writing method? Do you play any instrument?

Oh, I spend a lot of time checking for new music too... wherever Youtube takes me, haha

Let me tell you I was so glad when I saw Katatonia and Arch Enemy!!! I didn't know the rest of the bands, but I loved Polyenso and EarlyRise (I attached a little doodle I did on the subway while listening to them --so forgive the ugly lines of my hyperbolic paraboloids, and the crappy quality of the camera)

View attachment 17004

Anytime! No need to apologize, I completely understand. :)

I'm sure you'd be great at it, if you tried writing lyrics! I used to do vocals/play guitar a lot, especially in local Black/Death Metal bands, but I never used accompaniment other than background music/inspiration from songs because it didn't work for me. How's my writing method? It's best described as random. I don't set out to write; I just hear something that triggers inspiration and I sit down and write. That's pretty vague, though, so I apologize. I do play instruments. Electric/acoustic guitar, drums, keyboard/piano, and bass, but I'm mostly a writer. However, there is an album I'm working on that likely won't be released for a while due to my perfectionistic tendencies/the other band members' involvements.

Your self-described little doodle looks amazing! It's quite interesting to look at.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Anytime! No need to apologize, I completely understand. :)

I'm sure you'd be great at it, if you tried writing lyrics! I used to do vocals/play guitar a lot, especially in local Black/Death Metal bands, but I never used accompaniment other than background music/inspiration from songs because it didn't work for me. How's my writing method? It's best described as random. I don't set out to write; I just hear something that triggers inspiration and I sit down and write. That's pretty vague, though, so I apologize. I do play instruments. Electric/acoustic guitar, drums, keyboard/piano, and bass, but I'm mostly a writer. However, there is an album I'm working on that likely won't be released for a while due to my perfectionistic tendencies/the other band members' involvements.

Your self-described little doodle looks amazing! It's quite interesting to look at.

Haha, thanks!! :blush: I think it comes easier to you writing lyrics when you know how to compose music even if you don't think of the melody while writing them... You play a lot of instruments! I'm starting with piano and learning music theory, but I also want to learn how to play many of them. I'm that way with writing/drawing too. A friend recommended me an app that controls your writing with rewards (like: "write 1000 words today and you receive X points"), but I would ignore it for a week and then write 9000 words in a day... the moment something is controlled, I lose the ability to be creative. The answer is not vague at all, it's just how it is! :) My favourite instruments are piano and bass (music with a poor bassline doesn't sound right to me).

When you do release your album please let me know!!! ;)

Oh, and thanks!! I call it little doodle because it's little and because I often do theselittle things sitting on a park bench or the subway and then I come home and make them bigger and better. They are like ideas I can base my future drawings on; when I do the bigger ones I change them completely, but the idea is there. I'll show you when I finish it :)

Rouskyrie

Haha, thanks!! :blush: I think it comes easier to you writing lyrics when you know how to compose music even if you don't think of the melody while writing them... You play a lot of instruments! I'm starting with piano and learning music theory, but I also want to learn how to play many of them. I'm that way with writing/drawing too. A friend recommended me an app that controls your writing with rewards (like: "write 1000 words today and you receive X points"), but I would ignore it for a week and then write 9000 words in a day... the moment something is controlled, I lose the ability to be creative. The answer is not vague at all, it's just how it is! :) My favourite instruments are piano and bass (music with a poor bassline doesn't sound right to me).

When you do release your album please let me know!!! ;)

Oh, and thanks!! I call it little doodle because it's little and because I often do theselittle things sitting on a park bench or the subway and then I come home and make them bigger and better. They are like ideas I can base my future drawings on; when I do the bigger ones I change them completely, but the idea is there. I'll show you when I finish it :)

You're welcome! I compose music based on the words, but I can't seem to find a better explanation for it than that. Piano is good! I need to work on music theory myself, if we're being honest, haha. As for, "the moment something is controlled, I lose the ability to be creative" I feel that. Then again, I feel one's creativity and imagination can sometimes be expressed surprisingly well under such control. At least in the sense that it's a change of pace. My favorite instruments would have to be piano and bass, as well, if I'm being honest.

I certainly will let you know! :) In fact, I have the lyrical portion of the first song from it that I can message you, if you'd like to read it.

Interesting. That sounds great, I look forward to seeing it. :)

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Aww I am in love with this thread!! I was thinking for a while to start an art thread but had no idea what to start on, I like you even more after knowing that you have that much interest in arts

I'm pretty good at prose, my teachers used to tell me that I should consider a career as a writer..
I do paint as well, figurative, though recently I didn't get the time to do it anymore, because my son would just ruin my stuff, however I posted some of my previous works on the gallery thread, I will post them right here as well in case you're interested..

It depends, but usually not noise or loud music, I think that's also an additional reason that I don't paint any more, living with an autistic child doing noises most of the time is nerve breaking, thus is not a an environment were you have a mood for painting..

Well I tend to listen to anything that I find beautiful, in other languages as well, my interests varies from pop music to classic 1940s, 1950s, 1960s era, mostly from my part of the world, I'm not interested in the mainstream or what is popular today, I rather choose what touches my heart, I generally love good spirited music..
Examples are so many, and I don't think you know the language, but I will share one that keeps popping into my head the last couple of days

Mmm I don't think I've ever done that, but seems a good idea!
I will try to watch these videos ASAP ^_^

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
You're welcome! I compose music based on the words, but I can't seem to find a better explanation for it than that. Piano is good! I need to work on music theory myself, if we're being honest, haha. As for, "the moment something is controlled, I lose the ability to be creative" I feel that. Then again, I feel one's creativity and imagination can sometimes be expressed surprisingly well under such control. At least in the sense that it's a change of pace. My favorite instruments would have to be piano and bass, as well, if I'm being honest.

I certainly will let you know! :) In fact, I have the lyrical portion of the first song from it that I can message you, if you'd like to read it.

Interesting. That sounds great, I look forward to seeing it. :)

Yes, I get what you say. I write prose-poems and it's more or less the same, just focusing on what's the best word to make a text be felt with the five senses. If you're too caught up in the storytelling (in your case it'd be the melody),the essence of what you're trying to convey is lost, and it'd be just... weird prose (which I do too). When I was in high school we had an art class and we had to do lots of works DURING the class, it was a nightmare for me. But as soon as the bell rang for a break, I'd start having ideas, lots of them. I think it's just like those tests/games that are timed. I block.

Really?! That's great. I may be sort of "biased" with my instrument choices because the piano was the only instrument I had at home (until my brother started playing different guitars), and the bass was the instrument my best friend (the one who introduced me to the world of rock, punk and metal) played, so I spent lots of hours listening to the bass alone, without the rest of the instruments and it dawned on me that it was a really important part of a song.

Yes, please send it to me, I'd love to read it :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Aww I am in love with this thread!! I was thinking for a while to start an art thread but had no idea what to start on, I like you even more after knowing that you have that much interest in arts

Why, thanks!! :) I may start a blog related to art next week when I'm done with ugly tests and assignments for the month.

I'm pretty good at prose, my teachers used to tell me that I should consider a career as a writer..
I do paint as well, figurative, though recently I didn't get the time to do it anymore, because my son would just ruin my stuff, however I posted some of my previous works on the gallery thread, I will post them right here as well in case you're interested..

Oh, sorry to hear about your ruined stuff. I adore the drawings of the keys and the one of the parakeet!! :wubbie: I don't think I can use colour pencils like that. I have like 5 dozen different lead pencils, but I leave the colour ones for special occasions.

It depends, but usually not noise or loud music, I think that's also an additional reason that I don't paint any more, living with an autistic child doing noises most of the time is nerve breaking, thus is not a an environment were you have a mood for painting..

I see... I'm positive that you'll find a place and time to continue with your drawings at some point. Fingers crossed! ;)

Well I tend to listen to anything that I find beautiful, in other languages as well, my interests varies from pop music to classic 1940s, 1950s, 1960s era, mostly from my part of the world, I'm not interested in the mainstream or what is popular today, I rather choose what touches my heart, I generally love good spirited music..
Examples are so many, and I don't think you know the language, but I will share one that keeps popping into my head the last couple of days

Don't worry, I posted something in Spanish. I listen to lots of music in Spanish, though not much lately because I don't like any new bands, so when I search for new music, it's in languages I understand (slightly or completely, like English, Portuguese or Italian). That song you posted is certainly a "new" sound compared to the one I'm used to, but it certainly puts you in a good mood! Thanks!

Mmm I don't think I've ever done that, but seems a good idea!
I will try to watch these videos ASAP ^_^

Whenever you can, no problem! Thanks for replying! :)

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i most often write poetry, but sometimes i draw...

i like silence, trains passing in the distance, and music the best when i write... when i draw it matters much less (as long as someone isn't trying to get me to interact with them)...

i listen to this band when lyrics would be a distraction, but i need to relax... they are soothing but feel lonely...

i listen to this to album help break up distracting thoughts... it can become it's own distraction at times, but in others it helps me find a disjointed way to set my words...

joni mitchel is good for beforehand, but inhibits me if it is on while i am writing...

this is a good album for when i am angry, but becomes distracting if i calm down... when i first started writing i listened to nin All the time...

i could continue like this for a longtime... i listen to a wide variety of music, but these are some common examples...

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=29287]Obfuscate[/MENTION]

Awesome! I'll be listening to them tonight while I draw (I'm inspired today, just finished wrapping up a chapter of my novel :) )

As you know, I love NIN, so yes, if yu're angry, that's the way to go.

You know what I like when it comes to instrumentals? Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Maybe you know it. Anyway, here's a song (took too long because I didn't remember the version of the song I wanted to share, haha):

CitizenErased

Clean Slate

I was going to send you the photo in the message but it doesn't let me attach archives from the computer, so here it goes :) This is just the principal "building", I have to work on the background.

View attachment 17012

Wow, I looked up the singer and found out she's Lebanese. I'm half Lebanese myself, but wasn't familiar with the artist so I asked my dad if he knew who she was, and he told me that she went to school with my aunt in Lebanon! Haha, I just found that random, like what are the odds. :) That song is really pretty too! I also love listening to music in other languages too, mainly Spanish though because I'm half Latina also and grew up mostly with that kind of music. Oh, and your artwork is beautiful!

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow, I looked up the singer and found out she's Lebanese. I'm half Lebanese myself, but wasn't familiar with the artist so I asked my dad if he knew who she was, and he told me that she went to school with my aunt in Lebanon! Haha, I just found that random, like what are the odds. :) That song is really pretty too! I also love listening to music in other languages too, mainly Spanish though because I'm half Latina also and grew up mostly with that kind of music. Oh, and your artwork is beautiful!

Aww thank you for your nice words :wubbie: I love Majeda El Roumi she's one of my favorites! I'm so glad you liked this song..
I also listen to Italian, Spanish, French, Turkish, and of course English ..
This is another one of Majeda El Roumi, I hope you like it as well :heart:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Examples:

Discographies:

This is honestly the perfect thread. Talk about something that interests me! :D

1. I do multiple things. Most of the time I draw on the computer with my Wacom tablet. I like using the program Paint Tool Sai, I've never really been a Photoshop person. It's too hard to understand and overcomplicated. I also really love to write, I get complicated about both of these things often, and am told I'm talented at both (though I don't really think so). I also like to animate and (attempt) to write music. Of course, not when I'm listening to music. That would be the "My Sweet Lord" situation all over again. So mostly art and writing.

2. I absolutely listen to music when I'm being creative. It's one of my favourite things to do. I actually don't like silence. I'm extremely sensitive to noise and physical stimuli, and since my brain never shuts up I like to use music to block it out. Not only that, but I can use it to accentuate or create certain states of mind. Which happens to be really useful when it comes to writing or making art. Though despite all of this, I really love the sound of rain and the ocean. If it's combined with the music, even better.

3. I love atmospheric music. What I listen to is kind of all over the place, though. It really just depends on what I feel like listening to. I make new playlists every week and tend to replay certain ones over and over again if I find them catchy. Most of the time these are new songs, yet occasionally I throw in something old for the sake of nostalgia. If I'm specifically creating something that requires a certain emotional edge to it, I like to listen to things which evoke that emotion. I.E.: If I'm writing some ridiculously tragic backstory or attempting to indicate how sad someone is, I'll play melancholy, kind of sad songs. If I want to draw a kind of exuberant, cute face on pose for a character, I'll pick something light, simple and danceable.

As far as artists go, I like so many it's hard to really say. For the most part, I listen to the same Top 20 artists over and over again. To give a more concrete example, right now I'm trying to write a story and hopefully create an RPG horror game through GameMaker. I wouldn't normally do this, I can't say I've done it many times, but I made a playlist specifically for creating and molding the plot of it together. It helps me remember the stories of the characters I'm making, and it also sets me in the right mood to convey the thoughts I want to convey. I feel like I've repeated myself a lot here. Oops.

A few songs on that list:

*scarling. - Band Aid Covers The Bullet Hole
*Anna Murphey - Harley Quinn
* Kikuo - I'm Sorry, I'm Sorry
* Kate Bush - The Infant Kiss
* Murder Song (5,4,3,2,1) - AURORA
* The Divine Comedy - A Lady Of A Certain Age

So overall, in thinking about this more, I've concluded that I like songs that feel kind of ambient but most of all, tell a story. Hearing that story and the feeling put into the lyrics and vocal intonations makes me want to take that and make something new out of it. It's like staring at a finished painting and reconfiguring it with new shapes and vibrant colours. That didn't make any sense, but oh well.

4. I think I kind of covered this accidentally, but I would lean towards old songs. When I want to create, I'm not focusing on looking for something I might potentially dislike. It's too distracting. Usually I find new songs, and if I do like them, I put them with others I've heard before and create an accumulative list of things I'm comfortable with and that cause a certain reaction. I like to create lists organized according to emotion. I especially like for them to be subtler emotions so I can explore deeper depths of the mind, such as "Nostalgic," "Haunting," and "Playful."

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
This is honestly the perfect thread. Talk about something that interests me! :D

Thanks!! I didn't imagine it would be perceived as a "quality" thread. i feel proud now! :blush:

1. I do multiple things. Most of the time I draw on the computer with my Wacom tablet. I like using the program Paint Tool Sai, I've never really been a Photoshop person. It's too hard to understand and overcomplicated. I also really love to write, I get complicated about both of these things often, and am told I'm talented at both (though I don't really think so). I also like to animate and (attempt) to write music. Of course, not when I'm listening to music. That would be the "My Sweet Lord" situation all over again. So mostly art and writing.

I use Sai too (well, not exactly now because my brother "stole" my tablet to not use it), but as you can open .psd files there, I come and go with the file between Sai and Photoshop, depending on what I want to do to the drawing (for example Sai has a better blurring tool). It's true that Photoshop is sometimes messy to work with, but once you get used to, it can be useful. What do you draw?

What do you write? I'd love to animate but I sincerely don't have the patience to do it.

2. I absolutely listen to music when I'm being creative. It's one of my favourite things to do. I actually don't like silence. I'm extremely sensitive to noise and physical stimuli, and since my brain never shuts up I like to use music to block it out. Not only that, but I can use it to accentuate or create certain states of mind. Which happens to be really useful when it comes to writing or making art. Though despite all of this, I really love the sound of rain and the ocean. If it's combined with the music, even better.

With drawing I think I just need to be in a "creative mood", and music helps, but I don't think I choose specific songs to create certain mood. I do that with writing because I need characters to have different feelings and settings to "emit" certain sensation. The sound of the rain... I love rain... even better a thunderstorm. I like the sound of the ocean but I get tired after a while (unless I'm in front of a real-life ocean because I can match the sound to the types of waves and such).

3. I love atmospheric music. What I listen to is kind of all over the place, though. It really just depends on what I feel like listening to. I make new playlists every week and tend to replay certain ones over and over again if I find them catchy. Most of the time these are new songs, yet occasionally I throw in something old for the sake of nostalgia. If I'm specifically creating something that requires a certain emotional edge to it, I like to listen to things which evoke that emotion. I.E.: If I'm writing some ridiculously tragic backstory or attempting to indicate how sad someone is, I'll play melancholy, kind of sad songs. If I want to draw a kind of exuberant, cute face on pose for a character, I'll pick something light, simple and danceable.

I make playlists all the time. I don't know if every week, but I have Youtube playlists named as characters or drawings, so when I come back to writing/drawing, I can go back to the mental "mood" I had when I stopped creating.

As far as artists go, I like so many it's hard to really say. For the most part, I listen to the same Top 20 artists over and over again. To give a more concrete example, right now I'm trying to write a story and hopefully create an RPG horror game through GameMaker. I wouldn't normally do this, I can't say I've done it many times, but I made a playlist specifically for creating and molding the plot of it together. It helps me remember the stories of the characters I'm making, and it also sets me in the right mood to convey the thoughts I want to convey. I feel like I've repeated myself a lot here. Oops.

A few songs on that list:

*scarling. - Band Aid Covers The Bullet Hole
*Anna Murphey - Harley Quinn
* Kikuo - I'm Sorry, I'm Sorry
* Kate Bush - The Infant Kiss
* Murder Song (5,4,3,2,1) - AURORA
* The Divine Comedy - A Lady Of A Certain Age

No problem, I repeat myself all the time because I like replying to everyone individually. Cool, thanks for the songs, I'll be checking them out today ;)

So overall, in thinking about this more, I've concluded that I like songs that feel kind of ambient but most of all, tell a story. Hearing that story and the feeling put into the lyrics and vocal intonations makes me want to take that and make something new out of it. It's like staring at a finished painting and reconfiguring it with new shapes and vibrant colours. That didn't make any sense, but oh well.

Don't worry, I understood perfectly (nonsensical metaphors are my native language, haha). I think in my case it's more about the instruments and the voice intonation than the lyrics. When I learn the melody of the song halfway through it I start humming it so I don't even hear what the lyrics say. In other moments of life, lyrics are important to me, but I don't think this is the case. I believe it's about taking the essence of the song and seeing what other "product" (as in creation based on it) you can come up with. And it's funny to think that a song's essence can be taken to so many formats, and even mean different things to different people.

4. I think I kind of covered this accidentally, but I would lean towards old songs. When I want to create, I'm not focusing on looking for something I might potentially dislike. It's too distracting. Usually I find new songs, and if I do like them, I put them with others I've heard before and create an accumulative list of things I'm comfortable with and that cause a certain reaction. I like to create lists organized according to emotion. I especially like for them to be subtler emotions so I can explore deeper depths of the mind, such as "Nostalgic," "Haunting," and "Playful."

Not to repeat myself either, I'll just say I definitely agree it's distracting to find songs you might potentially dislike, especially after hearing that is perfect for the moment.

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx

Wow. I do the exact same thing. I have playlists for each of the stories that I'm working on. Most of the music I use is classical and new age.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Wow. I do the exact same thing. I have playlists for each of the stories that I'm working on. Most of the music I use is classical and new age.

Twins! Do you have any favourite classical composer? I'd go with Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi, then assorted ballets, like Coppélia from Delibes, Diana and Acteon from Pugni, The Sleeping Beauty from Tchaikovsky and La Fille Mal Gardee from Hertel) and as second choices Wagner, Schubert, Rimsky Korsakov, Mahler and I forgot to mention Bela Bartók.

Also, what kind of stories do you write?

Last edited:

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
Twins! Do you have any favourite classical composer? I'd go with Mozart, Chopin, Vivaldi, then assorted ballets, like Coppélia from Delibes, Diana and Acteon from Pugni, The Sleeping Beauty from Tchaikovsky and La Fille Mal Gardee from Hertel) and as second choices Wagner, Schubert, Rimsky Korsakov, Mahler and I forgot to mention Bela Bartók.

Also, what kind of stories do you write?

I like most of the stuff that you mentioned. My favourite composers are generally Romantics. Wagner, Brahms, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Mahler. I can't choose among them. My favourite works would probably be Beethoven's 9th symphony, Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, the requiems by Faure, Dvorak, and Brahms, Mahler's 5th, Tchaikovsky's Pathetique and Manfred Symphony.

My stories focus mostly on hope and despair (Cheesy. I know). I'm focusing most of my efforts on two novels which I will finish in the next five years or so.

One is a fantasy story, and it is an attempt at a sympathetic but critical examination of human nature achieved via a dive into the collective unconscious and a lost Arcadian golden age. It's about such things as the dissonance between the ideal and the real. Of tragedy and resignation, the dying world-heart, and the vigour of life.

The other is dystopian/sci-fi speculative fiction. It's about a future in which humanity's manifold attempts to obtain utopia have imploded. It's about collective disillusionment and collective learned helplessness. It's about a revival of humanity's fighting spirit, and its futile death throes in the face of impending apocalypse. Of bold desperation and fighting defiantly to the very end.

How about you? What are your stories about?