• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music for creative time

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Yeah, I've seen that painting before, it's very interesting. The whole woman with drawers for a torso on the ground with her arm raised up looking like she's crying for help towards a shadow of another woman in the distance. Pretty traumatic. My personal favorite is The Hallucinogenic Toreador. It's a major head trip. The backstory is pretty funny too, because it's set in a bull ring and the painting is dedicated to his wife, who had a major hatred for bullfighting, so there's a small portrait of her head looking down in disapproval at a dead bull carcass. There's a lot of hidden stuff in there that's fun to find. I also really like Child Watching the Birth of a New Man. I can see how that can be creepy for a young child though. I used to have a major phobia of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody music video when I was really young and even couldn't listen to the song for years until I got older, so I can relate. And now it's one of my favorite songs by them.

I never knew if the Cabinet was a man or a woman, but making deductions from where the drawers' knobs and keys, I'd say it is a woman. I know Hallucinogenic Toreador! I like the repetiton of elements and superposition of those "sets" of the objects.

I remember being so scared of that painting that my parents had to avoid sitting near it, or they'd place me giving my back to it, because everytime I saw it I felt really angsty (at the same time I couldn't stop looking at it). Oh, when I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time I was 13 (I didn't listen to music before, except for classical music) and I remember feeling like this:

1325537482661716853meme-arcoiris-hi.png

But being scared of things I now love is like my whole relationship with art. I was scared of Poe's stories, Oscar Wilde's stories made me really sad, my favourite story of Ray Bradbury was Kaleidoscope from The illustrated Man (it's about a man reflecting about life while falling from space) and it made me be really scared of outer space, then I was terrified of the story The Boarded Window by Ambrose Bierce... now they are my favourite authors of all time. The same happened to me with Muse. My first songs were the ones filled with more dispair and falsettos and distorted melodies, and I remember being paralyzed in front of the amplifier picturing it floating in space and black tar pouring out of it... and that's when I realized "this is MY music".

Nice. I really like Diferente by Gotan Project and Jimmy´s Gang by Parov Stelar the best out of the ones listed. I liked all the music videos too.

You should check other videos from the bands; for some reason they're all very creative.

Heroes del Silencio are a rock band, but they have a metallish sound on some of their songs, so I thought maybe you may like them because it seemed like you are a metal fan from the bands you listed on your previous post. I really like this song, the lead singer sings with such passion and the lyrics are also very nice:

The singer has awesome hair! (Sorry, that's the first thing I noticed, haha). The sound reminds me of some Argentine bands, especially this one (probably they're from the same decade) called Ratablanca (their most famous song is La Leyenda del hada y el Mago).

I really like the examples you've provided, especially the song Ya no sé qué hacer conmigo by El Cuarteto de Nos, Fuero o Mas Alla by Eruca Sativa, and Patria al Hombro by Almafuerte. Thanks for the song recommendations. I need to start listening to more Spanish music (and to listen to more improve my Spanish) because I mainly listen to the more famous Spanish singers, like Shakira (her old stuff mainly) and 90's Enrique Inglesias (it's a guilty pleasure, don't judge :p) with a few random songs here and there. I'm not really in touch with my Latino side when it comes to knowing some really cool bands. Are you of Latin background by any chance?

I'm glad you liked them. I have many more, but if I start listing, I never end, haha If you need to practice Spanish and want to write me, I'm up for it :) I don't judge when it comes to music/any other art likes. I'm more judgy when it comes to people's attitudes towards life and society. The same happens with people who aren't drawn to any kind of art (not even reading, for example), not because I judge because my whole life is about it so I feel like my points of view are not going to be taken into account whatsoever. I'm from Argentina, born and raised. It's not the typical Latino stereotype that other countries put on Central and South America (I've talked to some people from abroad because they found Buenos Aires to be a city full of museums and huge parks and equestrian monuments instead of dirt streets with people selling organs on them, wtf). My parents are Argentinians too and then the rest of my ancestors are Italian back to Jesus time.

Yeah, it is kind of difficult at first because you have to draw at a much larger scale. But what I like about larger paintings is that it's easier for me to put in more intricate detail.

That is true, the bigger the painting, the more details you can add. But... let me show you this, it's from Karen Libecap:

tumblr_nuafha7Wla1qzfsnio3_r1_1280.jpg

When I work on th computer I just have to zoom in and that's it, haha, in "manual" drawing it's way more difficult. I have a 0.1 mm mechanical pencil and I love it with my life, you can't imagine the pleasure of drawing hair with that (it's the same diameter as real hair --I clarify for if you use the imperial system for measuring).

I never knew if the Cabinet was a man or a woman, but making deductions from where the drawers' knobs and keys, I'd say it is a woman. I know Hallucinogenic Toreador! I like the repetiton of elements and superposition of those "sets" of the objects.

I remember being so scared of that painting that my parents had to avoid sitting near it, or they'd place me giving my back to it, because everytime I saw it I felt really angsty (at the same time I couldn't stop looking at it). Oh, when I listened to Bohemian Rhapsody for the first time I was 13 (I didn't listen to music before, except for classical music) and I remember feeling like this:

1325537482661716853meme-arcoiris-hi.png

But being scared of things I now love is like my whole relationship with art. I was scared of Poe's stories, Oscar Wilde's stories made me really sad, my favourite story of Ray Bradbury was Kaleidoscope from The illustrated Man (it's about a man reflecting about life while falling from space) and it made me be really scared of outer space, then I was terrified of the story The Boarded Window by Ambrose Bierce... now they are my favourite authors of all time. The same happened to me with Muse. My first songs were the ones filled with more dispair and falsettos and distorted melodies, and I remember being paralyzed in front of the amplifier picturing it floating in space and black tar pouring out of it... and that's when I realized "this is MY music".

Supposedly the cabinet is a woman, but I honestly thought it was a man at first glance. :p Yeah, there is so much going on in The Hallucinogenic Toreador. It did take me a while to spot the bullfighter's face between the two Venus de Milos.

That's interesting how you say the things you were afraid of are apart of your relationship with art. It's the same for me with some stuff I thought was generally dark, weird and unconventional. I have a much broader range of likes and interests now.

I love Oscar Wilde! He was brilliant in that he had such a way of creating remarkably divine, yet tragic stories, and at the same time some of the most intriguing, humorous stuff you'd ever read. I have all of Poe's work in one large book, but haven't read nearly all of them yet. I remember reading The Tell-Tale Heart in school and seeing a film based on it and it did creep me out when I was young. It makes you wonder how someone can think of such gruesome, twisted storylines. I only read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, and remember liking it a lot. That story you mentioned called the Illustrated Man seems very interesting. I also like how you described when you first listened to Muse. I love that feeling when you first discover a new artist and you just connect on a deep level with their music.

You should check other videos from the bands; for some reason they're all very creative.
bless

I will do that. I'm always listening to new albums I've never heard before by different artists.

The singer has awesome hair! (Sorry, that's the first thing I noticed, haha). The sound reminds me of some Argentine bands, especially this one (probably they're from the same decade) called Ratablanca (their most famous song is La Leyenda del hada y el Mago).

Haha. I love guys with long hair, so I know what you mean. That song is really beautiful too.<3 I can hear some similarities in style.

I'm glad you liked them. I have many more, but if I start listing, I never end, haha If you need to practice Spanish and want to write me, I'm up for it :) I don't judge when it comes to music/any other art likes. I'm more judgy when it comes to people's attitudes towards life and society. The same happens with people who aren't drawn to any kind of art (not even reading, for example), not because I judge because my whole life is about it so I feel like my points of view are not going to be taken into account whatsoever. I'm from Argentina, born and raised. It's not the typical Latino stereotype that other countries put on Central and South America (I've talked to some people from abroad because they found Buenos Aires to be a city full of museums and huge parks and equestrian monuments instead of dirt streets with people selling organs on them, wtf). My parents are Argentinians too and then the rest of my ancestors are Italian back to Jesus time.
Thanks for the offering. My mom is Nicaraguan, but never taught me how to speak Spanish because my dad doesn't speak it, so she thought it would be a bit difficult to teach it to me for that reason. I did learn Spanish for 4 years in school, but I forgot a lot so I'm practicing with this program called Duolingo to help me brush up on it.

I definitely know what you mean when you say that you tend to be more judgemental to people's outlook on life. Especially when it comes to something that is incredibly important to you, and when someone else doesn't share that same interest or belief, it's kind of like a slap in the face to who you are as a person. Although, I think it's maybe okay if someone admits that they don't share that same belief as you do, but are willling to be openminded and perhaps open to changing their point of view or at least have some sort of respect towards your viewpoints.

Wow, your English is very good. I honestly thought you maybe were raised in an English speaking country and are of Hispanic background, but that's really impressive that you were born and raised in Argentina. I always found Argentina to be quite interesting and yes, I would agree that it is very different than the typical Latino countries. I have a friend that studied abroad there and she did say it is more like a European country when it comes to the culture, architecture, and climate. And I also really like how the Argentinian accent sounds like an Italian person speaking Spanish. Always thought that was neat.

That is true, the bigger the painting, the more details you can add. But... let me show you this, it's from Karen Libecap:

tumblr_nuafha7Wla1qzfsnio3_r1_1280.jpg

When I work on th computer I just have to zoom in and that's it, haha, in "manual" drawing it's way more difficult. I have a 0.1 mm mechanical pencil and I love it with my life, you can't imagine the pleasure of drawing hair with that (it's the same diameter as real hair --I clarify for if you use the imperial system for measuring).

That is incredibly miniscule. She has a very fine point pen, but I wouldn't nearly be as neat as her when it comes to such extreme details. Yeah, that is a beneficial feature when drawing on the computer. You can zoom in to make something more detailed, but you don't have that option in real life unless you maybe use a microscope. The thinner the pencil is, the better for hair. Otherwise it may end up looking like straw rather than thin wisps. :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Supposedly the cabinet is a woman, but I honestly thought it was a man at first glance. :p Yeah, there is so much going on in The Hallucinogenic Toreador. It did take me a while to spot the bullfighter's face between the two Venus de Milos.

Yeah, I thought he was a man too. I liked how the legs were both toned and flaccide at the same time, so it gives the impression of age and experience/baggage, and how a body position can give such sensation of despair despite not showing the face.

That's interesting how you say the things you were afraid of are apart of your relationship with art. It's the same for me with some stuff I thought was generally dark, weird and unconventional. I have a much broader range of likes and interests now.

I love Oscar Wilde! He was brilliant in that he had such a way of creating remarkably divine, yet tragic stories, and at the same time some of the most intriguing, humorous stuff you'd ever read. I have all of Poe's work in one large book, but haven't read nearly all of them yet. I remember reading The Tell-Tale Heart in school and seeing a film based on it and it did creep me out when I was young. It makes you wonder how someone can think of such gruesome, twisted storylines. I only read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, and remember liking it a lot. That story you mentioned called the Illustrated Man seems very interesting. I also like how you described when you first listened to Muse. I love that feeling when you first discover a new artist and you just connect on a deep level with their music.

The preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray talks about art (more like a manifesto of the aestheticist movement he belonged to), and it's very empowering for artists doing their art just because they feel like doing it and want to appreciate their own results. I have a 1929 book with his complete works, and I think I've read it like a dozen times easy (old book smell :drool:)

I've read almost everything from varius authors. When I like compilations of stories, I realize I like their style so I read everything I find from them. With novels it doesn't happen that often because liking just one doesn't mean I'll like their whole work. Of Poe my first sories were William Wilson and The Oval Portrait, I think. And they blew my mind, I was amazed and terrified at the same time, one because of the creativity and the other because of the topic. The Illustrated Man from Bradbury is a set of stories that are connected by a bigger story... some sort of sci-fi 1001 Arabian Nights, haha

I don't know if this happens to you (I was talking about this with [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION]), but there is certain music that makes the way you perceive your surroundings more "HD", and I think it's soawesome when it happens!

Thanks for the offering. My mom is Nicaraguan, but never taught me how to speak Spanish because my dad doesn't speak it, so she thought it would be a bit difficult to teach it to me for that reason. I did learn Spanish for 4 years in school, but I forgot a lot so I'm practicing with this program called Duolingo to help me brush up on it.

Nice! I really don't know anything about Nicaragua *shame* Duoling is great, I started Portuguese there a couple months ago and then I continued with a book, and now I can communicate very simple ideas in the language. For me, learning Portuguese is like an intuitive task, because it shares 90% similarity to Spanish, so I'm always like "this sounds like X word in Spanish" and it always is. It's tricky with the accents, though, I have to start practicing pronunciation. But yeah, the offer stands ;)

I definitely know what you mean when you say that you tend to be more judgemental to people's outlook on life. Especially when it comes to something that is incredibly important to you, and when someone else doesn't share that same interest or belief, it's kind of like a slap in the face to who you are as a person. Although, I think it's maybe okay if someone admits that they don't share that same belief as you do, but are willling to be openminded and perhaps open to changing their point of view or at least have some sort of respect towards your viewpoints.

DEFINITELY. I think it all reduces to values/principles, and the rest is "negotiable". From having different points of view, not only others can see mine but I can learn how to look at something from multiple perspectives and appreciate them in ways I could have never thought by myself. The more points of view people help me see, the wiser I'll be regarding the topic, and that helps a lot in the creative process, as well as in other speheres of life.

Wow, your English is very good. I honestly thought you maybe were raised in an English speaking country and are of Hispanic background, but that's really impressive that you were born and raised in Argentina. I always found Argentina to be quite interesting and yes, I would agree that it is very different than the typical Latino countries. I have a friend that studied abroad there and she did say it is more like a European country when it comes to the culture, architecture, and climate. And I also really like how the Argentinian accent sounds like an Italian person speaking Spanish. Always thought that was neat.

THANK YOUUUU! :wubbie: I don't think my English is very good, I need more vocabulary, but I suck at learning "assorted" words. I'm better at grammar because it's like learning formulas. Argentina has a bit of everything, really. It's like Europe because the original population was a mix of Spaniards and aborigins and the Spaniards' slaves and then when the country per se was formed, they opened the doors to immigrants at the beginning of the 20th century, so they could use people who were escaping from the war and such as cheap workforce. That's when the country got populated with people from all the world and we're Spaniards who talk like Italians, have breaksfast like the French and drink beer like the German. We have Chinatown, a Slavic community, a Japanese Garden, a huge neighbourhood with orthodox Jewish people (and next to it a neighbourhood for trannies, but that's another story, haha); lots of stores have Paraguayan and Bolivian shop assistants (probably the owners are too)... we're one big mix of nationalities in one, haha

Yeah, this is going to sound completely biased (and I acknowledge it is), but I love the Argentinian/Uruguayan accent. My least favourite is the one from Spain. I like Venezuelan too because they always sound happy!

That is incredibly miniscule. She has a very fine point pen, but I wouldn't nearly be as neat as her when it comes to such extreme details. Yeah, that is a beneficial feature when drawing on the computer. You can zoom in to make something more detailed, but you don't have that option in real life unless you maybe use a microscope. The thinner the pencil is, the better for hair. Otherwise it may end up looking like straw rather than thin wisps. :)

When you mentoned the microscope it came to my mind an artist (I don't remember his name) that uses a magnifying glass and sunlight to burn the surface of wood and draw landscapes. I liked it because it was a very basic experiment you do as a child burning ants (haha) and how he turned it into a source for creation, really interesting!

For hair I use both sketching and technical pencils depending on where the hair-by hair needs to be seen. I generally use softer grades near the scalp and thinner, harder pencils for illuminated parts and the end of the hair.

View attachment 17076

This is a part of a drawing I never finished, but you can see the hair work. It takes ages but I love working on every single strand (I'm going to delete my photo too after a while)

The preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray talks about art (more like a manifesto of the aestheticist movement he belonged to), and it's very empowering for artists doing their art just because they feel like doing it and want to appreciate their own results. I have a 1929 book with his complete works, and I think I've read it like a dozen times easy (old book smell :drool:)

I've read almost everything from varius authors. When I like compilations of stories, I realize I like their style so I read everything I find from them. With novels it doesn't happen that often because liking just one doesn't mean I'll like their whole work. Of Poe my first sories were William Wilson and The Oval Portrait, I think. And they blew my mind, I was amazed and terrified at the same time, one because of the creativity and the other because of the topic. The Illustrated Man from Bradbury is a set of stories that are connected by a bigger story... some sort of sci-fi 1001 Arabian Nights, haha

I don't know if this happens to you (I was talking about this with [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION]), but there is certain music that makes the way you perceive your surroundings more "HD", and I think it's soawesome when it happens!
The Picture of Dorian Grey is one of my favorite books too. Wow, I'm jealous of that old edition you own, haha. I know what you mean when you find an author you like and want to explore their entire collection. I try to read stuff from the same circle of authors so that I become well acquainted with their work. It's the same for musical artists as well. Once I am finished hearing an album from a new artist that I've enjoyed, I try to immerse myself with their whole discography in order to hear everything they've done.

Sometimes my senses are heightened to where the room I'm in is much more elaborate from listening to certain music (if that is what you mean). I actually get that feeling a lot.

Nice! I really don't know anything about Nicaragua *shame* Duoling is great, I started Portuguese there a couple months ago and then I continued with a book, and now I can communicate very simple ideas in the language. For me, learning Portuguese is like an intuitive task, because it shares 90% similarity to Spanish, so I'm always like "this sounds like X word in Spanish" and it always is. It's tricky with the accents, though, I have to start practicing pronunciation. But yeah, the offer stands ;)
Haha, it's okay. I honestly never even visited, so the only information I have of Nicaragua comes directly from my mom. I will say that it is a very poor country that has endured many hardships throughout recent history. Yup, Duolingo is great. A lot of concepts I had forgotten are already refreshed back into my mind. I can see how Portuguese would be easy for you. I've listened to some songs in Portuguese and noticed how eerilie similar it is to Spanish. In fact, I would say all of the romantic languages resemble each other in some way. The spelling of words would be the most difficult just because you're not actually writing them down in Duolingo, but reading books in the language would definitely aid in understanding that particular language and expanding your vocabulary.

DEFINITELY. I think it all reduces to values/principles, and the rest is "negotiable". From having different points of view, not only others can see mine but I can learn how to look at something from multiple perspectives and appreciate them in ways I could have never thought by myself. The more points of view people help me see, the wiser I'll be regarding the topic, and that helps a lot in the creative process, as well as in other speheres of life.
That is so true in regards to gaining knowledge from different perspectives. Sometimes it can be hard to make yourself want to listen because we all have our own biases, but we have to remember that we're not always right and I really do think that you would grow as person by absorbing different viewpoints.

THANK YOUUUU! :wubbie: I don't think my English is very good, I need more vocabulary, but I suck at learning "assorted" words. I'm better at grammar because it's like learning formulas. Argentina has a bit of everything, really. It's like Europe because the original population was a mix of Spaniards and aborigins and the Spaniards' slaves and then when the country per se was formed, they opened the doors to immigrants at the beginning of the 20th century, so they could use people who were escaping from the war and such as cheap workforce. That's when the country got populated with people from all the world and we're Spaniards who talk like Italians, have breaksfast like the French and drink beer like the German. We have Chinatown, a Slavic community, a Japanese Garden, a huge neighbourhood with orthodox Jewish people (and next to it a neighbourhood for trannies, but that's another story, haha); lots of stores have Paraguayan and Bolivian shop assistants (probably the owners are too)... we're one big mix of nationalities in one, haha

Yeah, this is going to sound completely biased (and I acknowledge it is), but I love the Argentinian/Uruguayan accent. My least favourite is the one from Spain. I like Venezuelan too because they always sound happy!
Oh don't worry, you sound fine. :) I would even say that you have a wider range of vocabulary than some native English speakers sadly, haha. Argentina sounds really cool. It also seems like it is a melting pot like the US, full of different backgrounds and cultures. The Argentinian accent has always been my favorite Spanish accent too, so your own bias is fine by me. :D I l love the Italian accent in general, so I think that's why I like the Argentinian one a lot. I am also not a big fan of the Spanish accent either. I think it mainly has to due with their lisp when they pronounce S's; it sounds pretty weird, haha. I kind of like the Colombian accent probably second after the Argentinan one. They also sound happy too.

When you mentoned the microscope it came to my mind an artist (I don't remember his name) that uses a magnifying glass and sunlight to burn the surface of wood and draw landscapes. I liked it because it was a very basic experiment you do as a child burning ants (haha) and how he turned it into a source for creation, really interesting!

For hair I use both sketching and technical pencils depending on where the hair-by hair needs to be seen. I generally use softer grades near the scalp and thinner, harder pencils for illuminated parts and the end of the hair.

View attachment 17076

This is a part of a drawing I never finished, but you can see the hair work. It takes ages but I love working on every single strand (I'm going to delete my photo too after a while)
That sounds intriguing. I like when people take ideas and implement them into innovative, creative projects. Sometimes I get jealous because I tend to think, "Gee, wish I thought of that first."

I like the drawing you made. :thumbup: Hair always took me forever to do too. You have to make sure every strand is perfectly in place for it to look as natural as possible. It is a pain, but the end result always makes up for that long time spent working on it.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Aaaaand I adore this video, and the song too, of course:

I like this so much!

I never had any particular creative music , but as my being creative is mostly writing -> I would say I listen then mostly music with no words, pure music.
(I once talked with a guy who claimed that all these singers are making noise and disturb him when he tries to listen to music. I'm not that extreme, but it's nice to sometimes listen to instrumental.)

Kas

Fabula rasa
Guys, I would appreciate if you suggest songs in Spanish for me, any other language like French, Italian, Portugese, Greek etc. basically ANYTHING is most welcome as well..

Blow my mind

Thank you ^_^

I like to recommend ZAZ :)

Here something from Spain

And as you said 'any other language':

Some rock- one of my favourite bands

And something calmer