• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Comfort Music

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Like comfort food. What do you listen to when you're drained, in a bad mood, or in a dark place in your life, etc? Post away!

I like a wide spectrum of music, but when I'm in my worst moments of despair, I prefer listening to whole albums of really gloomy, depressing music. I have to feel a connection in the moment when I'm listening to a song; it has to reflect my mood back. In general though, I listen to mainly British artists and I'm pretty old school on the type of music I usually listen to.

One genre I love listening to is 80s/90s dreampop/shoegaze music like Slowdive, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, and Ride. However, my favorite album of the lot is Slowdive's Souvlaki. These songs in particular hit me hard, like I am drowning along with the songs themselves. They're beautifully ethereal, yet sorrowful. I'm always taken away to an alternate universe when I'm listening to them.

I also adore David Bowie's work, and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spider's from Mars album is one I always return to. Got me through a lot of deep, dark times since I was a teenager.

King Crimson is another band I love listening to, and one of my all time favorite albums is In the Court of the Crimson King. Just a masterpiece from start to finish. The song here is not the original version due to copyright, but it's still great.

Then there's Syd Barrett's two solo albums, but The Madcap Laughs has a much more somber tone that I relate to when I'm down. His song lyrics and raw, real emotion get me. The album's imperfections are what make it perfect to me.

I'll also add The Stone Roses' debut self-entitled album to the list too. Probably the one happier sounding album I listen to. XD

And I'll end with one more song from a great album by Spacemen 3. Such a strong, powerful song.

These are just a few that I gravitate too. Sorry if this was too depressing, haha. There are plenty, plenty more that I love, some like artists Elliott Smith and the Cocteau Twins come to mind, but I usually listen to the ones above the most when I'm at my absolute lowest.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Radiohead - Kid A

Dessert Sessions - Vol. 9 & 10

Aoki Takamasa and Tujiko Noriko -28

Bjork - Voltaic

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Taibreah

I usually listen to epic score or cinematic music to boost my mood. Anything that is uplifting and triumphant sounding. Not sure how else to explain it, but it's music that sends me to a world of awesome feelings.