• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Opera Music

D

Dali

What's:

1. Your favourite opera
2. Your favourite composer
3. Your favourite artists

Or you could answer just one of the above. I love comparing my favourites with other aficionados!

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Is Avez Maria an opera? I like that song. (I know absolutely nothing about opera.)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
What's:

1. Your favourite opera

Or you could answer just one of the above. I love comparing my favourites with other aficionados!
I like some, though I am by no means a connoisseur who could expertly discuss the relative merits of the composers/operas. So far, I've only seen/heard Rossini, Puccini, Mozart, Strauss and Bizet, and probably like Puccini most.

Is Avez Maria an opera? I like that song. (I know absolutely nothing about opera.)

Fancy Jack Flak frenchifies Ave Maria.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All the different sounds of opera* sound the same to me. Do they all have the same basic "sound" as it were- and the emphasis is more on the emotional expression? Or are they more varied - opera A being all about the percussion - and another being all funky otherworld harp and trombone?

*Speaking of the European-language opera, of course. I'm aware of also Chinese opera and vaguely some Vietnamese. I'm sure lots of cultures have things we might consider opera.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Opera singers need to start singing on beat, or to a beat..or they're gunna get beat up.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
:rolleyes:
Carmen has melody that can be appreciated by even a child.

I've heard some stuff I like by that blind guy. But most opera I hear is just so unstimulating to me, especially because the songs often have no sense of real rhythm.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love Porgy & Bess, so it's not surprising that I also love Leontyne Price. I hesitate to name a favorite with as little exposure as I have to opera in the big picture, though.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have an appreciation for Wagner's batshit-crazy Gesamtkunstwerk approach to opera. I doubt I'd want to sit through a whole performance of it, though.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="_KRGV-Xcbx4"]Summertime[/youtube]

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I've heard some stuff I like by that blind guy. But most opera I hear is just so unstimulating to me, especially because the songs often have no sense of real rhythm.

Yeah, Andrea Bocelli's opera album, Aria, is an accessible collection. Nice highlights. I wouldn't be surprised if people got into opera by way of him.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute. Too close to tell. I hardly understand anything of the plot, and have only seen The Magic Flute on film, but I thoroughly enjoy the music and especially the vocal harmonies.
2. Mozart, which might very well have a lot to do with all the myths and the Amadeus film, which made me interested in him.
3. Nick Drake, dredg, Ulver, Radiohead, Björk, Clint Mansell, Agalloch, Sun Kil Moon, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, Riverside, Tool, Blackfield

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Sarah Brightman! She's wonderful! She always does those nice hand movements when she sings.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03B2wO0lbe0"]Step Brothers - Por Ti Volare[/YOUTUBE]

D

Dali

It's a beautiful art song sung in the classical style. My favourite interpretation of it is by Jessye Norman. As are most of my favourite interpretations.

Here's a wonderful interpretation - YouTube - Lucia Popp - "Ave Maria" - F. Schubert

I like some, though I am by no means a connoisseur who could expertly discuss the relative merits of the composers/operas. So far, I've only seen/heard Rossini, Puccini, Mozart, Strauss and Bizet, and probably like Puccini most..

Great taste! I didn't mean this post to be too esoteric so perhaps you could tell me in your own terms which particular operas you liked.

All the different sounds of opera* sound the same to me. Do they all have the same basic "sound" as it were- and the emphasis is more on the emotional expression? Or are they more varied - opera A being all about the percussion - and another being all funky otherworld harp and trombone?

*Speaking of the European-language opera, of course. I'm aware of also Chinese opera and vaguely some Vietnamese. I'm sure lots of cultures have things we might consider opera.

The 'basic sound' of opera is born of a (extremely difficult to master) classical singing technique where the voice is treated as a musical instrument and the orchestra's main musical instrument at that. The singer sings the words on the exact notes that were written by the composer. Opera houses are pretty large and the singer must be able to project their voices such that they can sing an entire night's performance and be clearly heard in all corners of the hall without pushing or straining their voices. The voices are classified based on how high, low, loud, fast... they can sing and this is mostly determined by the thickness of the vocal cords. A particular voice-type will sing a particular suitable character. e.g. A sweet-sounding pure-toned lyric-soprano voice is most suitable for the character of Mimi in La Boheme and the composer wrote the notes for that particular role with a lyric-soprano's abilities in mind. There are 3 basic voice types for women; soprano, mezzo-soprano and contralto, and 3 basic classifications for men; tenor, baritone and bass. These are based purely on the vocal ranges that a singer is most comfortable in and they are further subdivided based on vocal weight (volume) and ability to 'sing fast notes'.

Opera has several sub-genres; for instances the Belcanto (literally, beautiful singing) operas of Donizetti, Bellini and Rossini have an emphasis on the voice and very flowery and elaborate vocal runs. The emphasis is on the voice and the plots and orchestration are rather thin. The Verismo school of opera (encompassing Puccini, Leoncavallo...) have their emphasis on realistic plots and scenarios; the singing tends to be less flowery and more expressive. The Gesamtkunstwerk school of Wagner and (partially) Strauss have operas that are, for lack of a better word, larger-than-life. Wagner is known for placing as much importance on the orchestration as on the voice. The Verismo operas are the most accessible for beginners. Do NOT begin with a Wagner opera. :p

Excuse me for rambling on.

:rolleyes:
Carmen has melody that can be appreciated by even a child.

Tell him! :)

As do several Puccini operas too.

Boccelli is pretty awesome but once you get into it; you realise that there are folks out there that are even more phenomenal. Listen to this guy!

YouTube - Jussi Björling - Song of India

I love Porgy & Bess, so it's not surprising that I also love Leontyne Price. I hesitate to name a favorite with as little exposure as I have to opera in the big picture, though.

I don't know too much about modern American opera but I have heard a few arias from Porgy & Bess.

And you just named one of my favourite singers. :D

YouTube - Leontyne Price "Bess, You is my Woman" Berlin 9/21/1952

YouTube - Leontyne Price sings "Vissi d'arte"

I have an appreciation for Wagner's batshit-crazy Gesamtkunstwerk approach to opera. I doubt I'd want to sit through a whole performance of it, though.

When I first fell 'in love' with opera (I accidentally clicked the wrong youtube vid two years ago and the rest is history), I was into the belcanto stuff. I couldn't stand Wagner but, in the past few months, I've become a massive fan. He was THE radical. Even more, I like Strauss's music with it's leasant blend of both Wagner's approach and some Italianate influence.

Salome rocks my socks off!

Which Wagner is your favourite?

1. Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute. Too close to tell. I hardly understand anything of the plot, and have only seen The Magic Flute on film, but I thoroughly enjoy the music and especially the vocal harmonies.
2. Mozart, which might very well have a lot to do with all the myths and the Amadeus film, which made me interested in him.
3. Nick Drake, dredg, Ulver, Radiohead, Björk, Clint Mansell, Agalloch, Sun Kil Moon, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, A Perfect Circle, Riverside, Tool, Blackfield

Mozart may be the most complete composer that ever lived. His operas are complex, accessible and simply perfect. My favourite aria from the Magic Flute has got to O Zittre Nicht.

YouTube - Diana Damrau as Queen of the Night I

WhichMagic Flute movie did you see? Is it the recent 2006 one?

Btw, you probably know this but a lot the Amadeus movie had quite a bit of fiction in it (e.g. Salieri and Mozart's relationship). Hollywood. :rolli: But it was definitely entertaining to watch.

Sarah Brightman! She's wonderful! She always does those nice hand movements when she sings.

She's a nice classical crossover artist along with Josh Groban and Bocelli. I like how they've made classical music more accessible to many who might have not otherwise been interested in it.

p.s. I'm glad no one's named Katherine Jenkins as a favourite.

The melodies are more complex and harder to catch on a first hearing but they are there in some arias.

YouTube - Norman sings "Je te veux" by Satie (1984)

YouTube - Gigli Ombra mai fu

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
What's:

1. Your favourite opera

Ooh, *not* an aficionado, but someone who's general dabbling of stuff makes her comfortable as not even a newb. :D

I don't have a favorite opera, but I do have songs I'm familiar with or like, for instance 'Flower Duet' (and no, I did not hear it for the first time on an airline commercial! LOL) So no favorite opera composers as yet. I do have some favorite contemporary opera singers though. Dame Te Kiri and Sumi Jo.

I'm not well-versed enough to know how to exactly critique voices other than to say I like 'clear' voices and Sumi Jo does have a voice that's been described as 'clear as water'. Some sopranos just sound painful and almost like they're strangling their vocal cords when they sing.

And I've taken a few operatic singing lessons and some voice lessons in the 'bel canto' tradition.

Singing's hard, mang. Especially operatic singing it's so much about breath and diaphraghm (sp?) work, I was amazed at the LOUD sounds coming from me and I always thought I was going to pass out.

LOL.