• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Value of Mystery in Cinema

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great article from Den of Geek reviewing some older movies and comparing to the modern crop's tendency to over-explain:
The importance - and apparent decline - of mystery in movies | Den of Geek

This is also something that impacts novels as well, just not as much because by their nature they tend to explain more background + you only get words to relay the story, whereas in movies you have the visual image that can convey a ton of data without actually stating it directly.

I'm not sure how Scott took such missteps with Prometheus and it leaves me concerned about his future entries in the franchise that he helped start. (The movie had other notable problems as well, including an over-aggressive editing job that massacred the narrative even while trimming time off the movie.)

I'll vouch for Midnight Special, it's one of the best recent scifi pics I've seen (aside from the ending, which visually was a bit of a let-down since they had no way to really match the rest of the film and on their budget) -- the core of the story was the relationships, not the scifi elements per se, the acting was just really really good, and like the article writer noted, there is no overexplanation going on... instead, you're watching the characters interact, and you can piece the story and relationships together as the plot unfolds. This is active engagement of the viewing audience, versus pulling a James Cameron in "Avatar" and over-explaining everything.

The tendency to overexplain results in movies that we don't really need... and highlights how they are primarily about drawing revenue and milking a franchise for every penny.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't have much of value to add... i agree and enjoyed the article... i haven't seen midnight special yet... i guess that i will make a point of doing so now...

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Avatar haha. Such an event at the time and now no one cares. The over explanation left little room or interest for a sequel.

I want a proper sequel to District 9

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Avatar haha. Such an event at the time and now no one cares. The over explanation left little room or interest for a sequel.

He's spent so much time planning and producing three more movies -- he'd better hope there is quite a spectacle involved here that will drag people to the theater. I hope the people he brought in to work on the scripts with him are actually worth their salt and raise the bar. Because yes, pretty much everything was totes on the nose in that movie.

But getting back to mystery -- it was most interesting to wonder what happened at the schoolhouse (although that was explained in a deleted scene eventually).

This kind of explains one reason why the Star Wars prequels weren't so welcomed (among various reasons).... we didn't really need the backstory, and what we got wasn't nearly as great as what we probably imagined.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's spent so much time planning and producing three more movies -- he'd better hope there is quite a spectacle involved here that will drag people to the theater. I hope the people he brought in to work on the scripts with him are actually worth their salt and raise the bar. Because yes, pretty much everything was totes on the nose in that movie.

But getting back to mystery -- it was most interesting to wonder what happened at the schoolhouse (although that was explained in a deleted scene eventually).

This kind of explains one reason why the Star Wars prequels weren't so welcomed (among various reasons).... we didn't really need the backstory, and what we got wasn't nearly as great as what we probably imagined.
Yes TFA was refreshing due to the mystery factor. A lot left up in the air at the end. The whole time I was waiting for Luke to show.

Mole

Permabanned
Whether a movie succeeds or not depends on its ability to suspend our disbelief.

And the suspension of disbelief is magical in itself and inherently mysterious.

We love having our disbelief suspended, and come back time and time again to have it suspended.

Permabanned
Whether a movie succeeds or not depends on its ability to suspend our disbelief.

And the suspension of disbelief is magical in itself and inherently mysterious.

We love having our disbelief suspended, and come back time and time again to have it suspended.

Storytelling is the social and culture activity of conveying stories in words, sounds, and/or images, often by improvisation, theatrics, or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation and instilling moral values.
:coffee:

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, the particular is the movie and the general is the suspension of disbelief.

And the general covers more than one particular. For instance, the suspension of disbelief covers the particulars of religion, art, dance, scientific hypotheses, falling in love, sport, poetry and literature, and almost anything we can imagine.

The suspension of disbelief is quite magical, and we are all magicians. You see, you are quite prepared to believe me - like the pied piper of Hamilton I lead you up the garden path of belief. Will you ever get back?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION] I think this thread would be of interest to you.

Permabanned
Yes, the particular is the movie and the general is the suspension of disbelief.

And the general covers more than one particular. For instance, the suspension of disbelief covers the particulars of religion, art, dance, scientific hypotheses, falling in love, sport, poetry and literature, and almost anything we can imagine.

The suspension of disbelief is quite magical, and we are all magicians. You see, you are quite prepared to believe me - like the pied piper of Hamilton I lead you up the garden path of belief. Will you ever get back?

The rain falls on one spot of the ground and the ground is wet. The ground can take a lot of rain.

And I really don't appreciate your personal comments.

Mole

Permabanned
The rain falls on one spot of the ground and the ground is wet. The ground can take a lot of rain.

And I really don't appreciate your personal comments.

I didn't make any personal comments so I can only assume you are trying to say something to me indirectly. What is it?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't make any personal comments so I can only assume you are trying to say something to me indirectly. What is it?

[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION]

If this an example of not over-explaining...