• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What instrument(s) do you play?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
James Jamerson is indeed awesomely amazing. Probably the best, really.

Yeah, he was tremendous. Jaco Pastorius was pretty amazing, too.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o&feature=related"]Weather Report - Birdland (Live)[/YOUTUBE]

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
^ wow i thought no one else listened to Weather Report, nice.

I play the drums and keyboard. Composition is what I like the most. I'm getting better at mandolin and guitar.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've been playing bass guitar since i was 11, but i think i'm meant to play drums, i play them much better and have been doing it for less time.
I can also play piano, but only christmas songs.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A little piano like Schroeder's?

meet_schroeder_big.gif

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No no, you've got it. I was the fiddler in a celtic band in high school and used to improvise with a band in a pub back in my hometown (one of those "anyone can join" setups). I will say that I can't match titles or lyrics to tunes (which I can do in classical music... weird); I just play by ear. Hurrah! We've got an ayyyyrish laddie!

More like some crazy crossbreed of scottish, swedish, cornish and dutch + a few other smaller influences. :D Born and raised in Sweden, the cold north ^^ But I do love celtic music in general. My personal favourite is The Corries. Well, at least right now :D

What kind of tunes/songs did your band play?

O

Oberon

I sat down last night and worked out the keyboard parts to Dire Straits' "Walk of Life," as rendered on the fiddle. The opening strains work out nicely double-stopped on the G and D strings. The first combo is high G and low B, then high F and low B, then high E and low A, and those chords work for the rest of the opening phrase. It's handy, because the last two are at the same position on the string... the first is the second finger across the G and D strings, and the second is the index finger across the G and D strings, all from the first position.

The melody line took a little getting used to... bouncing between the first finger on the A and D strings, not a key in which I'm used to playing. But then, not all songs can be written in the holy bluegrass key of G. :D

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Played piano for a few years when I was a adolescent. I was told that I have a 'remarkable' proficiency for sight-reading music.

IamDisplaced

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I play the keyboard, drums, and clarinet. On the other hand, I haven't played them in quite a while. I'd be exceedingly happy if I could learn how to play the guitar.

IamDisplaced

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
EVERYBODY plays the guitar. Why don't you learn something different yet cool, like lute, or tenor guitar, or mandocello? :D

LOL thanks Oberon for making me feel worse, considering the fact that everyone else knows how to play vs. myself. You know the annoying people you see meddling around with the instruments in stores? That's me! I'd be all for the tenor guitar, though. I'm all for it, I just want to play some strings! :cheese:

O

Oberon

Okay... it's probably truer to say that lots of people play guitar. Not everybody knows how to wail on a blues harp, though. :D

blues_harp.gif

IamDisplaced

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ha! LOL I don't know, do you think I can pull off the blues harp? I'd probably pass out in the process, but it would surely make me unique wouldn't it