• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The MBTI types of MLB stars.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, so this might belong in the MBTI forum, and it might not, but I spent my 4 hours at work thinking about the MBTI types of certain major league baseball players. So far, I've derived the following:

ISTJ's
Albert Pujols
Chipper Jones
Tom Glavine

ISTP's
Barry Bonds
Ken Griffey Jr.

ESFJ's

Derek Jeter
John Smoltz

ESTJ
Gary Sheffield

ESFP
Andruw Jones

ESTP
Manny Ramirez

ISFJ
Alex Rodriguez

ISFP
Vladimir Guerrero

INTP
Greg Maddux

Perhaps I'll add more. I'm not sure of Maddux as much as the others, but I would have been sad if there were no N's (I was tempted to label Andruw an ENFP).

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Orel Herscheiser I believe is an INTJ.

Omar Vizquel might be an ENFP.

Beyond that, I don't know much about baseball -- even though my father is a Cleveland Indians fanatic...or at least used to be.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps I'll add more. I'm not sure of Maddux as much as the others, but I would have been sad if there were no N's (I was tempted to label Andruw an ENFP).
Yeah, I'd think it'd be very hard to hit over 300 HR's and have a lifetime ave at .300 or above without using some major N to drive some pitches.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Orel Herscheiser I believe is an INTJ.

N dominant types (ENXP, INXJ) are probably rare. Simply because of their weak S. I couldn't see someone being successful in baseball with piss poor Si or Se.

Yeah, I'd think it'd be very hard to hit over 300 HR's and have a lifetime ave at .300 or above without using some major N to drive some pitches.

?

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Wouldn't one have to be very intuitive to figure out what pitch is coming? Even Junior with his amazing bat speed has to process a lot of data to try to determine what pitch is coming and how to get good wood on it. I could see Tony Gwynn being an ENTJ but I don't know. What would you think.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Wouldn't one have to be very intuitive to figure out what pitch is coming?

Intuitive, perhaps. iNtuitive, no. Si is probably best for this.. The Ti of an ISTP would process the data, and their Se would feed it to them, while also allowing them to be more reactive to something unexpected.

I could see an ENXJ or INXP doing reasonably well, since they aren't N dominant and S isn't their weakest function, but they would probably need to be extraordinarily talented.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
How did you come up with your typing for Pujols? I'm a Cardinal fan and have met him. I'm almost 100% sure he's an extrovert. You're right about the SJ. I think the T/F is a tossup. I'm thinking he's actually ESXJ.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I was going by his stoic nature on the field. But if you're 100% sure that he's an extrovert, then I can't really argue with that now can I?
My impression is based on his interaction with fans and his community work. He seems to genuinely enjoy talking to people. On the field, I think he's just very focused.

Spartan

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I dont know about J's and N's in major league baseball. I'd bet that about 90% of MLB players are either ESFP, ISFP or ESTP.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Wouldn't one have to be very intuitive to figure out what pitch is coming? Even Junior with his amazing bat speed has to process a lot of data to try to determine what pitch is coming and how to get good wood on it. I could see Tony Gwynn being an ENTJ but I don't know. What would you think.

This type of situational awareness data processing is something that all people have to do at some point in their lives (for example, meeting someone they don't know and figuring out what to say.), so there's no reason to think that S types wouldn't be able to do it. It does not involve thinking far into the future or past, or thinking too far into something the person has no direct experience of, which are the types of data processing that intuitive types would seem to do better at overall. The reaction times and physical abilities needed in baseball also argue pretty strongly for S types.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
It does not involve thinking far into the future or past, or thinking too far into something the person has no direct experience of, which are the types of data processing that intuitive types would seem to do better at overall.
I guess that's what I was thinking would be in play. What is did this pitcher throw to the last batter? What did he throw to me the last time up? What are his pitching patterns in later innings? What does he throw w/men on? Who's on deck? How many pitches has he thrown? What part of the plate has the ump been giving as strikes? What kind of pitches have I been unable to hit? What does he throw when ahead on the count? etc, those kind of things. I'm sure mgrs and bench coaches have studied tendencies and that's why batters look for signals after each pitch but I would think many of the players would be thinking these things as well. Like especially after games when you hear interviews, many are able to recall what they're expecting from the pitcher and what they'd seen. Or like many times you have rookie pitchers start out gang busters when called up but then get shelled the second half of the season after teams have faced them once or twice and then can figure them out.

Is there a function that would make someone more likely to be one who hits for average and another that strikes out more? Not like some meaty power hitter where .244 is passable if he's gonna knock 35 out of the park and put 110 across the plate. Some guys strike out more and others draw more walks without being 5-9. Any functionality behind this?

How about mechanics? I guess F would lend itself more to fluid motion but what about those who do well to correct hitting or pitching form? Is it strictly an F thing? Is there a function that aids discipline? Like in practicing? That wouldn't be just J, would it?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Is there a function that would make someone more likely to be one who hits for average and another that strikes out more? Not like some meaty power hitter where .244 is passable if he's gonna knock 35 out of the park and put 110 across the plate. Some guys strike out more and others draw more walks without being 5-9. Any functionality behind this?

I would guess there isn't much functionality behind this, since being good at knowing/guessing a pitcher and knowing what way to swing, seem like they could use skills associated with a number of different functions. (Si to pickup tendencies over time, Se to pick up what is happening at the moment, one of the T's to make a good guess, maybe others as well.)

How about mechanics? I guess F would lend itself more to fluid motion but what about those who do well to correct hitting or pitching form? Is it strictly an F thing? Is there a function that aids discipline? Like in practicing? That wouldn't be just J, would it?

F may or may not provide a good motion for someone newer to baseball, but over time this would likely get canceled out by practice, and a much larger effect would come from how well someone can control their swing or tell what is wrong with it. (Which seems more of an Se/T function type of thing.) With discipline, any function seems that it could do the job, depending on motivation (Similarly to how different types of motivitaion allow for practice/discipline outside of baseball.)