• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stranger Things

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did anyone watch this Netflix series yet?

I'm only three episodes in (out of eight).

Some people are really getting exited about it. I'm kind of more tempered -- I think it's better than the second half of Wayward Pines Season 1 + all of Season 2, and it's better than Hemlock Grove. But it's not really top-notch either. There's a lot of no-name actors (including the kids) who are adequate but not stellar in their roles; and the script/dialogue is sufficient as well, while not being super.

Its strengths right now seem to be:

1. The opening logo (with a typeface ripped off Stephen King, which is appropriate)

2. A TON of 80's nostalgia, both in the storyline as well as the background props, etc. (since the story is taking place in the 80's).

3. The occasional scene that actually nails something suspenseful. Like, the swimming pool scene opening Episode 3; or Ryder going kind of mad (to others) and stringing up lights in her house and what happens after that. Specific scenes pop up that actually are directed and written decently enough to not undermine themselves.

I kinda feel, though, like so far the show is riding on the 80's nostalgia + theme, kind of cobbled together from a bunch of old already explored ideas (and explored in more depth!) by an adequate but not skilled low-budget cast. There are scenes of dialogue where I know what the intent was, but the dialogue isn't really getting at the core of the characters and comes across as filler instead; or the scene isn't acted properly to maintain the emotional undercurrent building through the episode. Walking Dead, with its notable problems at times, has had more solid dramatic shows than what I've seen at this stage here. I'm hoping it improves in the remaining five episodes and moves from adequate to compelling.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yep , I'm watching it now with the GF. Half way done. Really good stuff. I love how it's set in the 80s.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I cancelled my Netflix and switched to Hulu. I'll switch again later in the year, after Netflix has uploaded a few new good things.

I was looking forward to this show. I'm disappointed to hear that it wasn't a very good show. Being better than Wayward Pines and Hemlock Grove isn't saying very much. Hemlock Grove is a little gross, imo. Is this show gross?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I cancelled my Netflix and switched to Hulu. I'll switch again later in the year, after Netflix has uploaded a few new good things.

I was looking forward to this show. I'm disappointed to hear that it wasn't a very good show. Being better than Wayward Pines and Hemlock Grove isn't saying very much. Hemlock Grove is a little gross, imo. Is this show gross?

Well, I'll just note that I seem to be an outlier. Some people seem to really like it, and it did decently on RT and with Metacritic. So it could just be me; I'm just having enough interest to get me through to later episodes, but I can't say I'm riveted or excited per se. So maybe you'll like it more.... I'm interested in hearing other reactions.

No, it's not gross. Hemlock Grove, yeah, could be gross/schlocky in spots, and full of angst. This so far has actually felt kind of sanitized (three episodes in); I feel like it is directed at more of a general family audience in terms of the language and visuals.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
YES!!! It is amazing i rewatched the first one yesterday with my friend because i kept saying you have to watch it and he's all like i dunno and i was like we should watch an episode and he was all uhidaidha and i was like you might as well give in. and he did and he liked it then he had to go to a party.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was like equal parts Fringe, Goonies, and Tales From The Darkside.

I liked it enough to finish it. It had a strange addictive quality. Like when I find a kind of candy I haven't seen since I was little- it doesn't necessarily taste good but I'll enjoy it nonetheless.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished this series a few days ago. It was interesting, and I too enjoyed the 80s vibe to it. The only disappointing / confusing part was the end of the last episode, where they leave most questions uncertain.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't finish it yet but I can't resist an X-Files kinda show so I like it. The 80s thing is kinda cheesy but at least it's well done.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finished it two weeks ago. I really liked the 80's vibe and the intro was awesome! Highly addicting. The ending left me hanging a bit but I really enjoyed it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask: exactly when/how did Matthew Modine get typecast as a soul-less shithead? He's been this same character the past couple of times I've seen him. It's kinda the opposite of what he used to be.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't seen it, but it's been recommended to me, and I've recommended music to a friend who liked the intro. :D

Since there aren't too many episodes to handle, I'm interested.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i dug it. enjoyed the 80's feel. it's a bit silly but fun for what it was. i'll look forwrd to the next season. i thought the kids were great lil actors.

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Did anyone watch this Netflix series yet?

I loved it~

I really couldn't help but wanna type the characters as I watched.

Joyce Byers: ISFJ i rlly liked her, i wish i could have a mom like that.
Chief Jim Hopper: INTP i thought he was rlly manly :)
Will Byers: ENTP awesome
Mike Wheeler: INFP sweetheart
Dustin Henderson: ENFJ he was so cute <3
Lucas Sinclair: ISFP impressive and ouch
Nancy Wheeler: INFJ idk, but classic
Jonathan Byers: INTJ cool, bro
Steve Harrington: ESTP classic <3
11/L : INFJ idk, but she reminded me of myself when I was younger

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like the score could have been lifted directly from on of Carpenter's films.

Recorded on 80s era synths most likely. That alone makes it worth my time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I need to get back and watch the last five episodes... I still haven't picked it back up again.

I loved it~

I really couldn't help but wanna type the characters as I watched.

Joyce Byers: ISFJ i rlly liked her, i wish i could have a mom like that.
Chief Jim Hopper: INTP i thought he was rlly manly :)
Will Byers: ENTP awesome
Mike Wheeler: INFP sweetheart
Dustin Henderson: ENFJ he was so cute <3
Lucas Sinclair: ISFP impressive and ouch
Nancy Wheeler: INFJ idk, but classic
Jonathan Byers: INTJ cool, bro
Steve Harrington: ESTP classic <3
11/L : INFJ idk, but she reminded me of myself when I was younger

That's cool; just noting we have another section of the site devoted to typing characters on shows because this thread is about the show itself.

What did you actually like about the show in general?

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask: exactly when/how did Matthew Modine get typecast as a soul-less shithead? He's been this same character the past couple of times I've seen him. It's kinda the opposite of what he used to be.

Yeah, that seems to be about all he's getting roles for?

I feel like he only got this one because he's a low-budget 80's icon (VISIONQUEST!).

Numbly Aware

I wanna fcken feel right
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I guess I need to get back and watch the last five episodes... I still haven't picked it back up again.

That's cool; just noting we have another section of the site devoted to typing characters on shows because this thread is about the show itself.
Okay...

I appreciate how the setting was envolving a secret underworld with monsters. I love the sentiment side of it, how the mom was caring and sensitive. I was pleased with the characters. I related to eleven a lot, I really liked how they expressed her character. I enjoyed watch the characters interact. I enjoyed understanding and relating scenes to real life experiences. (And the simplity of the story, I found "typing" them to be appealing)

(Honestly, I don't know how many details I should go into.) There were parts where I recognized 11/L facial reactions, like when she felt threatened she would give this pulled back shock look as if she is studying you, and when the boys were like "you're scaring her." "NO, SHE'S SCARING ME!" she gave a 'what, disapproved' look, because she was extremely serious.
Oh, the part where the mom was right there with 11/L and comforted her rlly hit my heartstrings (Shh, no, no, no, I'm here, I'm here. You're okay, you're fine. I got you).
I have to say the mom and 11 were my favorite characters, maybe even than the plot.
I do appreciate the Sheriff, how he acted like a man (that was really heartwarming).

I loved it~

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Binge-watched the whole thing in 2 days.

LOVED it! It felt like watching The Thing, Poltergeist, E.T. and Stand By Me all at once.

Stranger Things and Mr. Robot are my 2 most recent favourites!

Now when it comes to typing the characters, what are ya'll opinions?

Mine assumptions are:

11/ El: INFJ
Joyce Byers: ENFP
Will Byers: INFP
Jonathan Byers: INFJ
Chief Jim Hopper: ISTP
Mike: ENFJ
Dustin: ENTP
Lucas: ESTJ
Nancy Wheeler: ISFJ
Nancy's mum: ESFJ
Steve: ESFP
Barb: ISTJ

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I made it 30 minutes into episode #4 before I got so bored I had to do something else.
Maybe I will finish the episode tonight.

I was this way with the TV version of "IT" as well.
The book is probably my favorite King book ever, but aside from Tim Curry being well-cast, I hated the TV adaptation.

It's weird, there are just some things a lot of people like and I really just don't like them much even if I love the genre and probably know more about it than most. It's not that Stranger Things is awful; I would just only rate it a 3/5 stars four episodes in (adequate but not particular special)...This is disappointing, since I'm Gen X and this is my nostalgic time period... I'm a fan of Super-8.

I also do have to say that, according to AD&D 1st edition rules, a Fireball isn't going to have much impact on Demogorgon.

demo1e.jpg

See that magic resistance of 95%? That means if you cast a spell at him, the GM rolls percentile dice (d100) and if she rolls 96-00, then your spell actually hits him; otherwise it fizzles and you lose the spell. Any spell.

He does other crazy stuff too:

• He can hypnotize up to 100 creatures with his gaze with less than 15 hit dice with no saving throw!
• The left head has the power of a rod of beguiling.
• The right head can cause insanity, which lasts 10-60 minutes.
• He has a forked tail that drains l1-4 levels of the people it hits!
• If he hits you with his arm tentacles, a limb on your body will rot off in 6 rounds, which permanently removes 35% of your hit points.
• He's got every psionic power, 95% magic resistance and a paragraph of spell-like abilities.

For first edition, you were pretty much hosed... especially a magic-user who gets random 1d4 HPs per level. (i.e., the highest level of MU possible had 20 x 1d4 HPs... average 50 HPs.... Demogorgon had 200 HPs).

And first edition was rough, as far as mitigating badness. Running into Demogorgon unless you were max levels and had a full range of adventuring party (including a paladin and clerics) was pretty much a party wipe, and even if you were maxed out, there's still a good chance for a wipe. You'd better be able to sling multiple Rez and Wish spells....

Binge-watched the whole thing in 2 days.

LOVED it! It felt like watching The Thing, Poltergeist, E.T. and Stand By Me all at once.

Stranger Things and Mr. Robot are my 2 most recent favourites!

Now when it comes to typing the characters, what are ya'll opinions?

Mine assumptions are:

11/ El: INFJ
Joyce Byers: ENFP
Will Byers: INFP
Jonathan Byers: INFJ
Chief Jim Hopper: ISTP
Mike: ENFJ
Dustin: ENTP
Lucas: ESTJ
Nancy Wheeler: ISFJ
Nancy's mum: ESFJ
Steve: ESFP
Barb: ISTJ

ARGGG.
PLEASE DON'T TYPE CHARACTERS IN THIS THREAD.
THIS FORUM IS FOR A DISCUSSION OF THE SHOW, NOT THE CHARACTER TYPINGS.
GO HERE IF YOU TO TALK ABOUT CHARACTER TYPES:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/forum40/

I've already said it yesterday.

What happens is that a show discussion gets derailed because people start arguing about types (because of course everyone disagrees on the typings). That's why the other forum exists, in part.

... anyway, I really like Mr. Robot. I haven't seen a show quite like it, and it has an unreliable protagonist who isn't the type of character we usually see leading a show.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Watched the first episode last night and can already say I love it.

While I wholeheartedly agree with [MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION] 's OP, I think even its flaws serve a purpose :

yes the dialogue is not one of its strengths !
yes the actors are no-names !

but if you think about it : this just feels right. 80ties icons like the Goonies suffered the same imperfections.

I'm too old for bingewatching, but I'm pretty sure I will go through the episodes in about a week.

lol @ you geeks discussing the board game in depth.