• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Is Fashion Falling for the Pretty/Ugly Shoe All Over Again?

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why Is Fashion Falling for the Pretty/Ugly Shoe All Over Again?
by Laird Borrelli-Persson
JUNE 14, 2016
Vogue: Fashion, Beauty, Celebrity, Fashion Shows

Birkenstocks, Tevas; Uggs and flatforms; clogs and Crocs: Our current obsession with the pretty/ugly shoe may feel so sudden, so now—but, in fact, has some deep throwback and seriously fashionable roots. It’s all part and parcel of the continuing wave of ’90s nostalgia that has us tightly in its grips. We’re especially feeling the decade’s slacker mood now that summer has arrived along with predictions that temperatures will be broiling, and one of the best ways to communicate that vibe is with footwear—pairing a grunge-inspired slip, say, with a pair of Birks (even in the office, even at Vogue), or wide-legged denim with a clog.

It should be noted that there is a distinction between the modish and the non-fashion pretty/ugly shoe. (Maybe the latter is better called jolie laide.) And no matter how you want to describe it, its indisputable godmother is Miuccia Prada. For Spring 1996 the Milanese designer presented a collection that featured a jarring palette seemingly taken from a ’70s appliance-maker, faux-naive prints, and chunky, clunky shoes. She titled it “Banal Eccentricity.” Prada’s postmodern take on fashion is often prophetic, and it gets straight to the heart of what makes our hearts yearn for footwear that has no logical appeal. Because these shoes are out of context, of taste, or intended use, that they appeal to wearers and designers like Narciso Rodriguez, who showed cashmere Birks (remember those?) for Fall 1998, and Céline’s Phoebe Philo, who upgraded the humble pool slide with fur for Spring 2013, a move that might have inspired Rihanna’s sold-out hirsute Fenty x Puma slip-ons.

Though all of the classic clunkers we most love predate the ’90s—the clog is ageless; Tevas date back to 1984 when a Grand Canyon river guide secured a pair of flip-flops to the feet with Velcro watchbands; the Adilette slide, in its current form, dropped in 1972; and Birkenstock debuted its first sandal in 1964 (the thong style dates to 1982)—they came of age in the ’90s. Most people weren’t wearing fashion versions then, but were repurposing footwear intended for orthopedic use, locker rooms, and tackling the rugged outdoors, for urban casual wear. Wearers were expressing their individuality by messing with the message. And, as these shoes share a “granola” aesthetic, they also were expressive of an ironic, detached, “come as you are” attitude that thumbed the nose at convention, polish, and glamour. (Waifs were all the rage at that time too.)

It seems like there are as many designer as “non-fashion” pretty/ugly shoe options these days, though the price tags vary more than the silhouettes, adding a double dose of irony to a trend that shows no sign of slowing down.

< link >

gromit

likes this
Once I get a paycheck again I'm thinking of investing in some chacos for hiking and water play. They are really well-made and last a long time.

93JC

Once I get a paycheck again I'm thinking of investing in some chacos for hiking and water play. They are really well-made and last a long time.

What kind of hiking do you do? I can't imagine sandals being comfortable for going up or down much of a grade... :unsure:

gromit

likes this
What kind of hiking do you do? I can't imagine sandals being comfortable for going up or down much of a grade... :unsure:

Why not?

I hike on uneven terrain in flip flops all the time but usually only shorter distances. The extra straps would just keep the sole closer to/touching the bottom of my feet for longer distances.

I guess if you have poor foot/ankle control then yeah you'd def want more supportive footwear. But that's not me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^When I did hikes in lower elevations of Europe, or in the midwest, I remember thinking Chacos were the greatest thing ever.

Then I moved here, and I wore chaco's on one of my hikes in the mountains in my first year out here -- and realized they were absolutely terrible [for me] in the mountains --- there are rocks everywhere, little pebbles constantly getting under your foot, etc. I think it works for some people though, as I've seen a few people wearing them on trails?