• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ID4-2 (Resurgence)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello. I have just returned from watching the summertime blockbuster-not-to-be entitled "Independence Day: Resurgence." And as usual (if you've read my previous amateur movie reviews) I also aim to hate on those critics who enjoy bashing, using very bland concepts and sentence structures designed to make them seem other-worldly objective, anything cinema-wise that can't bash them in return.

Let's take this dummy for example: 'Independence Day: Resurgence': Film Review - Hollywood Reporter
"The gang's all back (minus Will Smith) as Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and friends join Liam Hemsworth and other new recruits in a fight against space invaders." Here's a clip of what he(?) might be thinking of:

Or this dummy who wrote an article with all the heart of a slice of unbuttered white toast, "Independence Day: Resurgence Has the Spectacle of the Original, But It Forgot the Heart": Independence Day: Resurgence Has the Spectacle of the Original, But It Forgot the Heart

Okay, I will be the first to admit that the Space Invaders video game is not unlike the movie franchise known as Independence Day, only with better CGI and more jokes. But also with more heart than the video game. And that is, or could be, a huge audience draw for this franchise.

There are some dumb critics who opine with great profundity that ID4-2 lacks heart. It does have heart. It's just a slightly more mature heart. Instead of Will Smith yelling something obscure about a bad smell (which was just the natural aroma of the salt flats he parachuted onto), or Bill Pullman with his awesome speech just before the final battle, we have Liam Hemsworth ("Jake Morrison") with his ESTP grin and boyish enthusiasm to fight the bad aliens. But that's enough for me. And it's more than we saw in any Avengers movie which would be nothing without Iron Man's charming narcissism.

So, in comparison, Resurgence seems to be a movie without a heart. But it has heart if you count the colorful characters attempting to save the world once again from the alien hordes. As an INTP I myself am not supposed to have a heart. But I'm just a Tin Man on the outside. And I did have some feelers at certain points in the movie. They just weren't as intense as the feelers I had during the first alien romp 20 years ago. And as a people watcher I've noticed that some audience members tend to react more strongly than I do. So it's a truity for me that if I have a feeling about something I saw, then there's going to be someone in the audience who had the same feeling only about 10 times stronger.

Except the critics. They don't have hearts. And there's no movie in the world that can make feelings happen where none are possible. No great and powerful Wizard of Oz will point out the fact that they had a heart all along, because it would be a lie.

No, this isn't an "action movie with heart," it is an action movie with thrills, chills, spills, and appropriate number of feeler moments to avoid making it smarmy. The original ID4 was smarmy, but I don't see anybody complaining about that. Smarmy is bad. Critics who like it smarmy are just paying lip-service to feelers they don't have.

ID4-2 isn't a movie without a heart. It's not Space Invaders: The Movie. It's a movie with characters who have hearts, and express them on the screen. They don't make great speeches. They are just there to do a job. And they do it well.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
TL;DR: Would I more likely find this worth watching or not?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
TL;DR: Would I more likely find this worth watching or not?

It is not too long to read. Jeebus H. Krist!

- - - Updated - - -

"Would I more likely find this worth watching or not?" How would I know? My review is worth reading. I don't know if you even like movies. I don't know you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I edited small things in my review once or twice to make it more palatable to those who can't read so good, and who want to learn to do other things good too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Mal's Movie Reviews 2016: Making Reading Good Again"

... I'll probably wait for home release before watching this, versus spending my big bucks in a theater.
I did watch the original (which I'd never seen) a few weeks ago, just to set myself up for when i saw this.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, Lol. I just came back to mention that some dumas critics think the first half-hour was too slow and introduced too many characters. Whut? It introduced the characters with some action scenes involved even before the aliens attack. So no, it wasn't a half-hour of dull, plotless character introductions. As a person who is easily distracted, I found the first half hour, maybe not riveting, but interesting enough and it did have some action points.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's from the second reviewer I cited: "Plus, for an Independence Day sequel, the destruction isn’t nearly as shocking as you’d expect."

Whut?

Is our culture so jaded that even tremendous global destruction isn't enough for them?

Nah, it's just the critics. Again.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It is not too long to read. Jeebus H. Krist!

- - - Updated - - -

"Would I more likely find this worth watching or not?" How would I know? My review is worth reading. I don't know if you even like movies. I don't know you.

Hmmmm... I'll give it a whirl, and let you know.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But when you go see the movie, try not to think too hard about it.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But when you go see the movie, try not to think too hard about it.

I go to the movies to urinate 15 times from oversized cokes and eat cheap hot dogs because I drove around for two hours trying to decide if I should go to the movies, not to think.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I go to the movies to urinate 15 times from oversized cokes and eat cheap hot dogs because I drove around for two hours trying to decide if I should go to the movies, not to think.

Have you considered becoming a professional movie reviewer?