• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Favorite ALTERNATIVE Music From the 90s

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm hoping here to be reminded of a great song I haven't listened to in years, grunge, rap-metal, or folk...maybe even left over industrial goth from the 80s, or what was probably the most optimistic - electronic.

Please don't post Ace of Base, Third Eye Blind or Bare Naked Ladies. That's 90s pop.

I've taken a lot less control with 90s music as a genre, in some way virtually overlooked it for personal reasons, but it deserves as much exploration as the 80s...except that the 80s was good at pop, and the 90s wasn't.

I mostly remember the 90s for awesome period horror and historical drama, but we will move away from FILM today, and talk about music.

Real music. The first person who plays Sugar Ray gets banned. I hate 90s mainstream pop likely more than anything on earth.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Ooooooh Local H. Never listened to them much, but what I have listened to is really good.

Anyhow, most of my music is from the 2000s, but...there's some crossover.

Also, is 2000s stuff from 90s bands acceptable? Veruca Salt's best stuff is late.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The 80s was also shit at pop, IMO. Unless you consider bands like Talking Heads and Genesis pop, but their music was, respectively, new wave and progressive rock merely appropriating some 80s pop elements.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got so excited when I saw this thread. Much of my all-time favorite music is from the early and mid-’90s, though there is some really atrocious shit from that decade too, especially all the blander-than-cardboard pop-rock like Hootie and the Blowfish.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is the only thread, we, as a community, need.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trip-hop, shoegaze, industrial, grunge, britpop...it really was a mini golden age and I realize a lot of these genres originated before the 90s but the best examples of each were in the 90s.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^Lovee STP and Alice in Chains!! <3

This one is a favorite:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Now I'm going to get lost in YouTube again. This is not good.

The problem I have with YouTube now is that they've seemingly become more corporate with really aggressive commercials for mainstream products like Tide, or whatever. If they took on smaller or less disgusting companies, like Planet or Ecos detergent, or Tom's of Maine or even lesser known smaller business, I'd totally get that they need to advertise so the site isn't completely free. But it sucks, they play long commercials you can't skip through in front of some videos, and in videos which aren't music, they even interrupt the middle of the video. It's too much like watching TV I don't like it as much as I once did.