User Tag List

Lightbulb The Fountainhead

“He looked at the granite.
    To be cut, he thought, and made into walls.
    He looked at a tree. To be split and made into rafters.
    He looked at a streak of rust on the stone and thought of iron ore under the ground.
    To be melted and to emerge as girders against the sky."

- The Fountainhead

My interest in architecture has been re-ignited.

(Thanks @Enthusiastic_Dreamer!)

Join me if you wish... in posting structures that inspire, bedazzle or intrigue you.

Baghdad, Iraq

"The Genesis Towers" by Tara Kashko + Jawed Al Tamimi

First three floors are dedicated to producing organically grown produce. The façade is wrapped in "Shanasheel" a wooden operable screen that controls the amount of sunlight passing through; with louvers that control insulation and allow cool air to pass.

Towers combine vertical farming and accommodation designed to generate efficient life source for the occupants, while providing space to live, work and eat in. The organic farming incorporated reduces the amount of water and chemicals that would normally be used in farming.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Dreamer, Kas liked this post

“I love doing it. Every building is like a person. Single and unrepeatable.”
    -The Fountainhead

MASLAK Tower

Istanbul, Turkey

Architects: CVS Architects as Architects

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Wow!!!! Those are so great. I have positive and negative impressions but ALL response is visceral. Thanks for those

“When I listen to a symphony I love, I don't get from it what the composer got. His 'Yes' was different from mine. He could have no concern for mine and no exact conception of it. That answer is too personal to each man. But in giving himself what he wanted, he gave me a great experience.”- The Fountainhead

Bete Giyorgis (Church of St. George)

Lalibela, Ethiopia

Composed entirely of limestone (called Tufa).

Dated to the late 12th or early 13th century AD, and developed as a design seeking to 'recreate Jerusalem'.

According to Ethiopian cultural history, Bete Giyorgis was built after King Gebre Mesqel Lalibela of the Zagwe dynasty had a vision in which he was instructed to construct the church.

Lalibela is a pilgrimage site for members of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church; the church itself is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Rock-Hewn Churches, Lalibela".
    Likes Typh0n liked this post

"The great creators—the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors—stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. The first motor was considered foolish. The airplane was considered impossible. The power loom was considered vicious. Anesthesia was considered sinful. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won.” - The Fountainhead

Moses Bridge

Located in: Bergen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Architects: Ro & Ad
    Likes Kas liked this post

Clean Slate

Yay!! What I dislike from architecture photos online is that 90% of them is HDR photography (translated to common language: process that makes the photo look 1000% better than reality), so when you look at the buildings "live", you wish you hadn't seen the photo to appreciate it better.

Anyway, here are some of my favourite:

Sant'Andrea di Mantova (Mantua, Italy - Architect: leon Bautista Alberti - Period: Renaissance)

Paris Opera House (Paris, France) - Architect: Charles Garnier

Please tell me everybody is singing "Mascarade" with me!

Barcelona's Concert Hall (Palau de la Música Catalana, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain - Architect: Lluis Domenech i Montaner - Style: Art Noveau)

(I love the idea of figureheads in buildings.)

Aaaand one of my favourite architects, because I love organic, nature-inspired architecture: Antoni Gaudí, also from Barcelona

La Sagrada Familia: Virtual visit - Sagrada Familia

This is way better than any photo.

Oh, and also from Gaudí, Casa Batlló. It takes inspiration from nature to the extreme, because the "skeleton" of the house looks like actual bones:

I'll be back with less "monumental" examples!
    Likes Typh0n, SD45T-2, Cloudpatrol, Kas liked this post