• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fountainhead

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
“He looked at the granite.
To be cut, he thought, and made into walls.
He looked at a tree. To be split and made into rafters.
He looked at a streak of rust on the stone and thought of iron ore under the ground.
To be melted and to emerge as girders against the sky."

- The Fountainhead

My interest in architecture has been re-ignited.

(Thanks [MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION]!)

Join me if you wish... in posting structures that inspire, bedazzle or intrigue you.

Sustainable_zpsn3wgqobt.png

Baghdad, Iraq

"The Genesis Towers" by Tara Kashko + Jawed Al Tamimi

First three floors are dedicated to producing organically grown produce. The façade is wrapped in "Shanasheel" a wooden operable screen that controls the amount of sunlight passing through; with louvers that control insulation and allow cool air to pass.

Towers combine vertical farming and accommodation designed to generate efficient life source for the occupants, while providing space to live, work and eat in. The organic farming incorporated reduces the amount of water and chemicals that would normally be used in farming.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
“I love doing it. Every building is like a person. Single and unrepeatable.”
-The Fountainhead

Maslak%20Tower_zpsyuvkz3jy.jpg

Maslak%20Tower%20r_zpstoey1byo.jpg

MASLAK Tower

Istanbul, Turkey

Architects: CVS Architects as Architects

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
“When I listen to a symphony I love, I don't get from it what the composer got. His 'Yes' was different from mine. He could have no concern for mine and no exact conception of it. That answer is too personal to each man. But in giving himself what he wanted, he gave me a great experience.”- The Fountainhead

Biete%20Giyorgis%20_zpscbfgmr2p.jpg

Biete%20Lalibela_zps3uzxhsqi.jpg

Bete_zpsmkg7d73e.jpg

Bete%20G%20T_zpstckycg8r.jpg

Bete Giyorgis (Church of St. George)

Lalibela, Ethiopia

Composed entirely of limestone (called Tufa).

Dated to the late 12th or early 13th century AD, and developed as a design seeking to 'recreate Jerusalem'.

According to Ethiopian cultural history, Bete Giyorgis was built after King Gebre Mesqel Lalibela of the Zagwe dynasty had a vision in which he was instructed to construct the church.

Lalibela is a pilgrimage site for members of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church; the church itself is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Rock-Hewn Churches, Lalibela".

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
"The great creators—the thinkers, the artists, the scientists, the inventors—stood alone against the men of their time. Every great new thought was opposed. Every great new invention was denounced. The first motor was considered foolish. The airplane was considered impossible. The power loom was considered vicious. Anesthesia was considered sinful. But the men of unborrowed vision went ahead. They fought, they suffered and they paid. But they won.” - The Fountainhead

Red%20Sea%20Bridge_zpsanulpzfb.jpg

Moses Bridge

Located in: Bergen, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Architects: Ro & Ad

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Yay!! What I dislike from architecture photos online is that 90% of them is HDR photography (translated to common language: process that makes the photo look 1000% better than reality), so when you look at the buildings "live", you wish you hadn't seen the photo to appreciate it better.

Anyway, here are some of my favourite:

Sant'Andrea di Mantova (Mantua, Italy - Architect: leon Bautista Alberti - Period: Renaissance)

SANTANDREA-MANTOVA-2.jpeg

basilica-di-sant-andrea.jpg

id-254-basilica-di-sant-andrea-interno_25_800x800.jpg

Paris Opera House (Paris, France) - Architect: Charles Garnier

Please tell me everybody is singing "Mascarade" with me!

Interior-%C3%93pera-de-Garnier.jpg

Barcelona's Concert Hall (Palau de la Música Catalana, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain - Architect: Lluis Domenech i Montaner - Style: Art Noveau)

Palau-de-la-M%C3%BAsica-1024x682.jpg

palau-de-musica.jpg

(I love the idea of figureheads in buildings.)

el-palau-de-la-musica.jpg.jpg

Aaaand one of my favourite architects, because I love organic, nature-inspired architecture: Antoni Gaudí, also from Barcelona

La Sagrada Familia: Virtual visit - Sagrada Familia

This is way better than any photo.

Oh, and also from Gaudí, Casa Batlló. It takes inspiration from nature to the extreme, because the "skeleton" of the house looks like actual bones:

casa-batllo-728x484.jpg

I'll be back with less "monumental" examples!