User Tag List

12 Last

Default Anyone got any good cheap book suggestions?

Like ones I can find on ibooks for like... Very cheap.

Im reading octavian nothing right now which is pretty decent but was more expensive than I would like... Was like 10.99- but Id been wanting to read it for a while so it was worth it.

Anyways- going away somewhere where I wont get very easy internet access so Ive gotta go back to the olden days and read when I have down time/late at night/in cars/planes/ect.

Actually think the plane ride is going to be pretty long tomorrow. So I need some good books. I mean, I have downloaded SOME free books- because there are some decent ones- but most really cheap books are like at or below decent fanfiction quality and I dunno... I like want some reward for my investment that goes beyond-ah I guess this killed an hour...

So anyways. Suggestions? Anything youve read recently that was decent?

@Kas. Dont know why Im tagging you but I mean... Why not. I trust your book judgement.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

My public library has an excellent selection of free online books, of every type. Most do today. Best part is free (I used to buy a lot of books, but I no longer view it as a useful product most of the time.... I still love book stores and physical books, but most of my thousand or more books are currently in storage.....
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes iwakar, N/A liked this post

Have you read " The Alienist" of Careb Carr ?- it's crime/ mystery set in 1896 New York City. It is also accurate about the detective methods used then (I read " Century of Detective" shortly before reading this book). Roosevelt, detectives trying to use psychology to find mysterious killer, gang... I recommend.

The other book I think of is the book of Sana Krasikov "One more year". She wrote about immigrants (eastern Europeans) who came to America looking for new life. Well written.

Don't know about prices. But I think you should be able to easily find e-books of at least first one.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

Likes N/A liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    My public library has an excellent selection of free online books, of every type. Most do today. Best part is free (I used to buy a lot of books, but I no longer view it as a useful product most of the time.... I still love book stores and physical books, but most of my thousand or more books are currently in storage.....
    Yeah only problem with physical books is that I have to lug em around and I only have limited space... But I do have a few books that I JUST have to bring because I mean... I... Well, I got a physical copy of Walden that Ive been saving just for this occasion...

But I may stop by the library- thing another thing is... I dont want to LOSE any of the books because library books can be a bitch to replace. But will definitely keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    Have you read " The Alienist" of Careb Carr ?- it's crime/ mystery set in 1896 New York City. It is also accurate about the detective methods used then (I read " Century of Detective" shortly before reading this book). Roosevelt, detectives trying to use psychology to find mysterious killer, gang... I recommend.

The other book I think of is the book of Sana Krasikov "One more year". She wrote about immigrants (eastern Europeans) who came to America looking for new life. Well written.

Don't know about prices. But I think you should be able to easily find e-books of at least first one.
    Mmm detective books are a hit or miss with me... I mean, odd thing is is that lately I have been having a hard time concentrating for long periods of time if a book is... Written in any hand that is more difficult than just common english.

Unless its really really good. Wasnt always a problem but for certain reasons it has been.

Although- although- I DID just get through Agatah Christies 'and then there were none' and that books writing has some 'swag' to it- so perhaps Ill be fine. And it is also a detective book... Well... A murder mystery with a 'you are the detective' theme- but I mean, so Im thinking that maybe if I can get through that and enjoy it I can get through a kas recommended crime book NO PROBLEM.

Oh and I just love that you reccommended a book on immigration. Ive been like... One of the things I have been looking into in my spare time lately are stories and stats and stuff- ways of living- of american immigrants through time. Ellis island is something that is currently fascinating me.

So I mean, if I can find a cheap copy that book is a definitely.
    Likes Kas liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp

We - Yevgeny Zamyatin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Mmm detective books are a hit or miss with me... I mean, odd thing is is that lately I have been having a hard time concentrating for long periods of time if a book is... Written in any hand that is more difficult than just common english.

Unless its really really good. Wasnt always a problem but for certain reasons it has been.

Although- although- I DID just get through Agatah Christies 'and then there were none' and that books writing has some 'swag' to it- so perhaps Ill be fine. And it is also a detective book... Well... A murder mystery with a 'you are the detective' theme- but I mean, so Im thinking that maybe if I can get through that and enjoy it I can get through a kas recommended crime book NO PROBLEM.

Oh and I just love that you reccommended a book on immigration. Ive been like... One of the things I have been looking into in my spare time lately are stories and stats and stuff- ways of living- of american immigrants through time. Ellis island is something that is currently fascinating me.

So I mean, if I can find a cheap copy that book is a definitely.
    No wonder you got through "And then there were none"- it's the best of Christie of those I read. So much of tension!
    I think "The Alienist" is really good.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Yeah only problem with physical books is that I have to lug em around and I only have limited space... But I do have a few books that I JUST have to bring because I mean... I... Well, I got a physical copy of Walden that Ive been saving just for this occasion...

But I may stop by the library- thing another thing is... I dont want to LOSE any of the books because library books can be a bitch to replace. But will definitely keep it in mind.
    Yeah, I hear you on physical books. I own a lot really old books and just holding them is magical....

My favorite part of the online library is no late fees. I have literally paid hundreds of dollars of late fees in my life......
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Are you opposed to audiobooks? Those are reasonable priced (some can be found for free) and give your eyeballs a break if you're a big reader.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Are you opposed to audiobooks? Those are reasonable priced (some can be found for free) and give your eyeballs a break if you're a big reader.
    Ive actually never listened to an audiobook... But it HAS been something I am interested in. Hm... Maybe Ill download a few here while taking advantage of this free wifi.

Just go into ibooks or something. Its a good idea- thank you! I wonder if... Well yeah- its a good idea.

And yes- Im a huge reader. So I mean- I can never get enough books.