• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone got any good cheap book suggestions?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Like ones I can find on ibooks for like... Very cheap.

Im reading octavian nothing right now which is pretty decent but was more expensive than I would like... Was like 10.99- but Id been wanting to read it for a while so it was worth it.

Anyways- going away somewhere where I wont get very easy internet access so Ive gotta go back to the olden days and read when I have down time/late at night/in cars/planes/ect.

Actually think the plane ride is going to be pretty long tomorrow. So I need some good books. I mean, I have downloaded SOME free books- because there are some decent ones- but most really cheap books are like at or below decent fanfiction quality and I dunno... I like want some reward for my investment that goes beyond-ah I guess this killed an hour...

So anyways. Suggestions? Anything youve read recently that was decent?
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION]. Dont know why Im tagging you but I mean... Why not. I trust your book judgement.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My public library has an excellent selection of free online books, of every type. Most do today. Best part is free (I used to buy a lot of books, but I no longer view it as a useful product most of the time.... I still love book stores and physical books, but most of my thousand or more books are currently in storage.....

Kas

Fabula rasa
Have you read " The Alienist" of Careb Carr ?- it's crime/ mystery set in 1896 New York City. It is also accurate about the detective methods used then (I read " Century of Detective" shortly before reading this book;)). Roosevelt, detectives trying to use psychology to find mysterious killer, gang... I recommend.

The other book I think of is the book of Sana Krasikov "One more year". She wrote about immigrants (eastern Europeans) who came to America looking for new life. Well written.

Don't know about prices. But I think you should be able to easily find e-books of at least first one.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
My public library has an excellent selection of free online books, of every type. Most do today. Best part is free (I used to buy a lot of books, but I no longer view it as a useful product most of the time.... I still love book stores and physical books, but most of my thousand or more books are currently in storage.....

Yeah only problem with physical books is that I have to lug em around and I only have limited space... But I do have a few books that I JUST have to bring because I mean... I... Well, I got a physical copy of Walden that Ive been saving just for this occasion...

But I may stop by the library- thing another thing is... I dont want to LOSE any of the books because library books can be a bitch to replace. But will definitely keep it in mind.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Have you read " The Alienist" of Careb Carr ?- it's crime/ mystery set in 1896 New York City. It is also accurate about the detective methods used then (I read " Century of Detective" shortly before reading this book;)). Roosevelt, detectives trying to use psychology to find mysterious killer, gang... I recommend.

The other book I think of is the book of Sana Krasikov "One more year". She wrote about immigrants (eastern Europeans) who came to America looking for new life. Well written.

Don't know about prices. But I think you should be able to easily find e-books of at least first one.

Mmm detective books are a hit or miss with me... I mean, odd thing is is that lately I have been having a hard time concentrating for long periods of time if a book is... Written in any hand that is more difficult than just common english.

Unless its really really good. Wasnt always a problem but for certain reasons it has been.

Although- although- I DID just get through Agatah Christies 'and then there were none' and that books writing has some 'swag' to it- so perhaps Ill be fine. And it is also a detective book... Well... A murder mystery with a 'you are the detective' theme- but I mean, so Im thinking that maybe if I can get through that and enjoy it I can get through a kas recommended crime book NO PROBLEM.

Oh and I just love that you reccommended a book on immigration. Ive been like... One of the things I have been looking into in my spare time lately are stories and stats and stuff- ways of living- of american immigrants through time. Ellis island is something that is currently fascinating me.

So I mean, if I can find a cheap copy that book is a definitely.

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
We - Yevgeny Zamyatin.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Mmm detective books are a hit or miss with me... I mean, odd thing is is that lately I have been having a hard time concentrating for long periods of time if a book is... Written in any hand that is more difficult than just common english.

Unless its really really good. Wasnt always a problem but for certain reasons it has been.

Although- although- I DID just get through Agatah Christies 'and then there were none' and that books writing has some 'swag' to it- so perhaps Ill be fine. And it is also a detective book... Well... A murder mystery with a 'you are the detective' theme- but I mean, so Im thinking that maybe if I can get through that and enjoy it I can get through a kas recommended crime book NO PROBLEM.

Oh and I just love that you reccommended a book on immigration. Ive been like... One of the things I have been looking into in my spare time lately are stories and stats and stuff- ways of living- of american immigrants through time. Ellis island is something that is currently fascinating me.

So I mean, if I can find a cheap copy that book is a definitely.

No wonder you got through "And then there were none"- it's the best of Christie of those I read. So much of tension!:)
I think "The Alienist" is really good.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah only problem with physical books is that I have to lug em around and I only have limited space... But I do have a few books that I JUST have to bring because I mean... I... Well, I got a physical copy of Walden that Ive been saving just for this occasion...

But I may stop by the library- thing another thing is... I dont want to LOSE any of the books because library books can be a bitch to replace. But will definitely keep it in mind.

Yeah, I hear you on physical books. I own a lot really old books and just holding them is magical....

My favorite part of the online library is no late fees. I have literally paid hundreds of dollars of late fees in my life......

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Are you opposed to audiobooks? Those are reasonable priced (some can be found for free) and give your eyeballs a break if you're a big reader.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Are you opposed to audiobooks? Those are reasonable priced (some can be found for free) and give your eyeballs a break if you're a big reader.

Ive actually never listened to an audiobook... But it HAS been something I am interested in. Hm... Maybe Ill download a few here while taking advantage of this free wifi.

Just go into ibooks or something. Its a good idea- thank you! I wonder if... Well yeah- its a good idea.

And yes- Im a huge reader. So I mean- I can never get enough books.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Plenty of free classics at project gutenberg. I recommend some Dickens - maybe Oliver Twist.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like ones I can find on ibooks for like... Very cheap.

Im reading octavian nothing right now which is pretty decent but was more expensive than I would like... Was like 10.99- but Id been wanting to read it for a while so it was worth it.

Anyways- going away somewhere where I wont get very easy internet access so Ive gotta go back to the olden days and read when I have down time/late at night/in cars/planes/ect.

Actually think the plane ride is going to be pretty long tomorrow. So I need some good books. I mean, I have downloaded SOME free books- because there are some decent ones- but most really cheap books are like at or below decent fanfiction quality and I dunno... I like want some reward for my investment that goes beyond-ah I guess this killed an hour...

So anyways. Suggestions? Anything youve read recently that was decent?
You might see this too late to act on it, but at least for future reference, here it is. I travel several times a year, often overseas, which entails hours in airports and planes with unpredictable internet access. I will download a handful of books in pdf format to my netbook, so I have a variety. It is easy to get classics free this way, though some more recent titles can be found as well. I have read things like Jane Austen novels, Dracula, Phantom of the Opera (the original book), etc. So, my advice is to look up any classics you always wished you had read and download a few of those.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Ive actually never listened to an audiobook... But it HAS been something I am interested in. Hm... Maybe Ill download a few here while taking advantage of this free wifi.

Just go into ibooks or something. Its a good idea- thank you! I wonder if... Well yeah- its a good idea.

And yes- Im a huge reader. So I mean- I can never get enough books.

Audible is decent, there are free ones on youtube, and thr itunes store. I haven't found many other sources with as much choice, if you're looking for a specific book.

The Kipling in your signature gave you away as a big reader ;)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hm yeah, well I have some time now... Few days of spotty wifi before I get to a place where even that probably wont be possible.

Checked out audio books... But they are actually pretty expensive. I guess you are paying more for the opportunity to be even lazier... For someone to read the book FOR you- for someone to tell you a story like you were a little kid.

Anyways. I bought one though because... Well... I DO want variety.

And well... Ok I KNOW you can find classics online- pdfs- (not only of classics but other lucky options as well)... But are they downloadable? Like could I download them to a device? Anyone know this? Is there some sort of special converter app or something?

Cowardly

deactivated
Hm yeah, well I have some time now... Few days of spotty wifi before I get to a place where even that probably wont be possible.

Checked out audio books... But they are actually pretty expensive. I guess you are paying more for the opportunity to be even lazier... For someone to read the book FOR you- for someone to tell you a story like you were a little kid.

Anyways. I bought one though because... Well... I DO want variety.

And well... Ok I KNOW you can find classics online- pdfs- (not only of classics but other lucky options as well)... But are they downloadable? Like could I download them to a device? Anyone know this? Is there some sort of special converter app or something?

There are converter websites (though there might be troubles with formatting).

There are several public domain titles available for download (.pdf, .epub and .mobi), often in more than one language, on Goodreads. Here are some of their classics: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/classics

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
There are converter websites (though there might be troubles with formatting).

There are several public domain titles available for download (.pdf, .epub and .mobi), often in more than one language, on Goodreads. Here are some of their classics: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/classics

Actually I just downloaded some of these! Thank you. There were like 99cent ones... And I mean... Ok I might even look for some more audio ones that are cheap because I mean- going to be doing a lot of walking and I tend to get bored when walking for too long so... I mean, Ill have something to listen to while going.

But yeah! Got the little prince and alice in wonderland... Which Ive never actually READ but HAVE seen several film adaptions.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Audible is decent, there are free ones on youtube, and thr itunes store. I haven't found many other sources with as much choice, if you're looking for a specific book.

The Kipling in your signature gave you away as a big reader ;)

Just wanted to address the kipling comment here really fast- heheh.

Ok so the thing is... I LOVE this entire poem. Love it. Every time I read it its like it tears a little something and playdohs around with it or something... Swirly and just-touching I suppose.

But the thing is... What I think is so cool about THIS poem, and this holds true for MANY poems- is that... For every line you add you just shift the world entirely. The whole narrative... I might sound a bit crazy here but... Yeah.

Its actually why I was... And still a bit AM hesitant to use it as my signature. Because I mean... I dont want... I dont want one solid... I mean... It means many things... And I dont want to overdo something thats best... Oeft on its own. Overdo by underdoing and changing. Wanted to let it stand and just BE what it was on its own as much as possible.

But unfortunately there is a signature character limit... So...

I HAD to put in my favorite line- if you can trust yourself---

I wont go into WHY thats so- why I like that so much HERE- because this post is already getting a bit long... But since you brought it up AND I tried tried tried to write as much about it in my sig as possible... But really COULDNT- here I could a bit more- not completelt but more.

Lark

The tales of mystery and the supernatural series is cheap and some humungous books in that range if you like good long reads, like voodoo tales or varney, the vampyre, though I recommend the wolf pack and wagner the werewolf.

Plus there's loads of cheaper books in the amazon marketplace, just need to know were to look, some of them selling for the price of postage more or less.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Amazon usually does sales on some good titles throughout the year. I got some GRRM books for $2 each.

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
A Dung Beetle recommends

I have a few favorites that I usually recommend:

The Passage by Justin Cronin:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/the-passage/id379014964?mt=11
I typically recommend this book because the first half is just so... great.
The second half of the book is great as well, but the first half can be read
as a book on its own. And I would say the two halves read a bit differently.

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-eye-of-the-world/id380490608?mt=11
The first book of a really long series; worth reading on its own, but might
hook you on the 14 book series that it is.

Atonement by Ian McEwan:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/atonement/id436130054?mt=11
I personally found this book hard to read, but it has a lot of praise backing it up,
and he is a good writer. Might be an interesting read if you enjoy more character
driven books that isn't Fantasy.

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-way-of-kings/id376229549?mt=11
A great book by a great author. I recommend most of Brandon's books, but this is
probably my favorite. Not just by Brandon, but of all the books I've read.

All of the books, except Atonement, are really long books and are worth their price.
Not just in the number of pages (which would be a stupid way to measure worth in books)
but in how good they are. Read about them and see what you might like: if none, then
I have failed. Seppuku next. :cry:

Jokes aside, if you want to know more just send me a message and I can go into detail.
Happy reading~