User Tag List

12 Last

Red face Art Anatomy Class

@geedoenfj has inspired me to get back to more drawing. Hoping to meld current medical anatomy learning from school with figure drawing skill.

Am first going to tackle: improving on previous pic of male dancer AND self drawing. So, those shapes will be represented initially but hope to develop this as a resource for all shapes, sizes and roles. ALL THE DRAWINGS!

If you have advice or pics you wish to contribute...PLEASE DO!

Likes geedoenfj, fetus, /DG/, Punderstorm, iwakar and 1 others liked this post

Likes geedoenfj, /DG/, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Art Anatomy Class

Wow are the male dancer and female paintings done by you? They're very well executed!
    that will be helpful, I'm still on struggle of creating basic out lines
    Thank you CP
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

“sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine

6w7 > 1w2 > 4

Likes Cloudpatrol, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

So here's another one

“sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine

6w7 > 1w2 > 4

Likes Cloudpatrol, /DG/, Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've been drawing a lot in my life, and I always see that people recommend croquis (live model nude drawing).
    A lot of art schools also let their students begin rather early on with such things, but in my opinion it just teaches
    the student poor drawing skills: they don't understand how to reconstruct the pose from another angle, they don't
    get the time that they need to learn from what they are doing and observing (poses of 5-10 minutes is too short),
    and they end up learning slower than they would otherwise be able to. Croquis to me is something that an
    intermediate artist should partake in; it is at that stage at which they have learned decent proportions and how
    each body part looks in 3D (and can therefore be reconstructed from any angle). Now they can learn how the
    muscles interact with each other, how different gestures can be constructed, and in the end increase their drawing
    speed and knowledge of the body. What I am trying to say is: croquis is good as long as the poses are long enough for
    you to learn properly. I would say such poses are about 30 minutes long. Or, you have prior knowledge, and want
    to improve upon the things I mentioned above.

A good source for learning is George Bridgman's Complete Guide from Drawing from Life. This is the book I used,
    and I learned a lot from it in a very short time. This book really allows you to construct the body in a simple manner
    while at the same time learning how the muscle masses interact with each other.

I'll include a page from a croquis session (3 minute poses) that I partook in a year or two ago, some old studies from
    Bridgman, and one of my more recent drawings. Hope it helped a bit. (:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Caoimhin View Post
    I've been drawing a lot in my life, and I always see that people recommend croquis (live model nude drawing).
    A lot of art schools also let their students begin rather early on with such things, but in my opinion it just teaches
    the student poor drawing skills: they don't understand how to reconstruct the pose from another angle, they don't
    get the time that they need to learn from what they are doing and observing (poses of 5-10 minutes is too short),
    and they end up learning slower than they would otherwise be able to. Croquis to me is something that an
    intermediate artist should partake in; it is at that stage at which they have learned decent proportions and how
    each body part looks in 3D (and can therefore be reconstructed from any angle). Now they can learn how the
    muscles interact with each other, how different gestures can be constructed, and in the end increase their drawing
    speed and knowledge of the body. What I am trying to say is: croquis is good as long as the poses are long enough for
    you to learn properly. I would say such poses are about 30 minutes long. Or, you have prior knowledge, and want
    to improve upon the things I mentioned above.

A good source for learning is George Bridgman's Complete Guide from Drawing from Life. This is the book I used,
    and I learned a lot from it in a very short time. This book really allows you to construct the body in a simple manner
    while at the same time learning how the muscle masses interact with each other.

I'll include a page from a croquis session (3 minute poses) that I partook in a year or two ago, some old studies from
    Bridgman, and one of my more recent drawings. Hope it helped a bit. (:
    Thank you sincerely for your answer. It truly exceeded my humble hopes.

I have resisted investing in croquis classes but you have adjusted my thinking. Realistically, I will need to hone up before doing so (based on your advice).

I appreciate the book recco as well!

The male torso studies will be highly useful as a reference in my current project.

I envy the sparse lines you use : that convey so much.
    Likes Caoimhin liked this post

Neat drawings and such, guys!

This is only semi related or whatever idk...

Speaking of drawing from a model... apparently art students at my university used to be allowed by a certain professor into our human cadaver lab to view the specimens. I am not sure what level the students were and know almost zero context to this personally. I'm uncertain if they also viewed organs or if they just viewed external anatomy and I do not know how useful they found the experience.

It was a bit interesting to hear because I do not know how common of a practice this sort of thing is. (Also apparently they were not legally allowed in the lab, so their visits were obviously not allowed to continue.)

Edit: Lol why did so many of you like this post? It is not even related to the OP.
    Last edited by /DG/; 06-06-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Likes geedoenfj, Cloudpatrol, Punderstorm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    Neat drawings and such, guys!

This is only semi related or whatever idk...

Speaking of drawing from a model... apparently art students at my university used to be allowed by a certain professor into our human cadaver lab to view the specimens. I am not sure what level the students were and know almost zero context to this personally. I'm uncertain if they also viewed organs or if they just viewed external anatomy and I do not know how useful they found the experience.

It was a bit interesting to hear because I do not know how common of a practice this sort of thing is. (Also apparently they were not legally allowed in the lab, so their visits were obviously not allowed to continue.)

So cool! In the book The Agony and The Ecstasy it talks about how Michelangelo used to dissect human cadavers so as to gain insight into anatomy...

@geedoenfj I was frustrated with the end result of these (as you can tell by the 50 million eraser marks).

BUT, I took your advice and did them from memory. Was at the beach (it's a scorcher this weekend ) and would memorize a body and then try to reproduce them - but without bathing suits & in either same or a different pose - using your tips and different types of shading. I can definitely do a lot better, but I AM pleased with putting your advice into practice

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    So cool! In the book The Agony and The Ecstasy it talks about how Michelangelo used to dissect human cadavers so as to gain insight into anatomy...

@geedoenfj I was frustrated with the end result of these (as you can tell by the 50 million eraser marks).

BUT, I took your advice and did them from memory. Was at the beach (it's a scorcher this weekend ) and would memorize a body and then try to reproduce them - but without bathing suits & in either same or a different pose - using your tips and different types of shading. I can definitely do a lot better, but I AM pleased with putting your advice into practice

That's excellent for a body memorizing!! I struggle with that a big time, I can memorize objects and animals way better than memorizing human body!
    I will later upload some of human forms and hands that I sketched recently, and also some human forms from the guide that I have ..

6w7 > 1w2 > 4