• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Art Anatomy Class

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=26281]geedoenfj[/MENTION] has inspired me to get back to more drawing. Hoping to meld current medical anatomy learning from school with figure drawing skill.

Am first going to tackle: improving on previous pic of male dancer AND self drawing. So, those shapes will be represented initially but hope to develop this as a resource for all shapes, sizes and roles. ALL THE DRAWINGS!

If you have advice or pics you wish to contribute...PLEASE DO!

Eyes_zpsdhes2hfs.jpg

Lips_zpsee0fuxrg.jpg

Feet_zpse4b7gzfh.jpg

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow are the male dancer and female paintings done by you? They're very well executed!
that will be helpful, I'm still on struggle of creating basic out lines
Thank you CP

Caoimhin

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've been drawing a lot in my life, and I always see that people recommend croquis (live model nude drawing).
A lot of art schools also let their students begin rather early on with such things, but in my opinion it just teaches
the student poor drawing skills: they don't understand how to reconstruct the pose from another angle, they don't
get the time that they need to learn from what they are doing and observing (poses of 5-10 minutes is too short),
and they end up learning slower than they would otherwise be able to. Croquis to me is something that an
intermediate artist should partake in; it is at that stage at which they have learned decent proportions and how
each body part looks in 3D (and can therefore be reconstructed from any angle). Now they can learn how the
muscles interact with each other, how different gestures can be constructed, and in the end increase their drawing
speed and knowledge of the body. What I am trying to say is: croquis is good as long as the poses are long enough for
you to learn properly. I would say such poses are about 30 minutes long. Or, you have prior knowledge, and want
to improve upon the things I mentioned above.

A good source for learning is George Bridgman's Complete Guide from Drawing from Life. This is the book I used,
and I learned a lot from it in a very short time. This book really allows you to construct the body in a simple manner
while at the same time learning how the muscle masses interact with each other.

I'll include a page from a croquis session (3 minute poses) that I partook in a year or two ago, some old studies from
Bridgman, and one of my more recent drawings. Hope it helped a bit. :)

Attachments

• 15. Croquis 3 Min Poses.jpg
    15. Croquis 3 Min Poses.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 3. Male Torso Studies.jpg
    3. Male Torso Studies.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Ramn.jpg
    Ramn.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 84

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I've been drawing a lot in my life, and I always see that people recommend croquis (live model nude drawing).
A lot of art schools also let their students begin rather early on with such things, but in my opinion it just teaches
the student poor drawing skills: they don't understand how to reconstruct the pose from another angle, they don't
get the time that they need to learn from what they are doing and observing (poses of 5-10 minutes is too short),
and they end up learning slower than they would otherwise be able to. Croquis to me is something that an
intermediate artist should partake in; it is at that stage at which they have learned decent proportions and how
each body part looks in 3D (and can therefore be reconstructed from any angle). Now they can learn how the
muscles interact with each other, how different gestures can be constructed, and in the end increase their drawing
speed and knowledge of the body. What I am trying to say is: croquis is good as long as the poses are long enough for
you to learn properly. I would say such poses are about 30 minutes long. Or, you have prior knowledge, and want
to improve upon the things I mentioned above.

A good source for learning is George Bridgman's Complete Guide from Drawing from Life. This is the book I used,
and I learned a lot from it in a very short time. This book really allows you to construct the body in a simple manner
while at the same time learning how the muscle masses interact with each other.

I'll include a page from a croquis session (3 minute poses) that I partook in a year or two ago, some old studies from
Bridgman, and one of my more recent drawings. Hope it helped a bit. :)

Thank you sincerely for your answer. It truly exceeded my humble hopes.

I have resisted investing in croquis classes but you have adjusted my thinking. Realistically, I will need to hone up before doing so (based on your advice).

I appreciate the book recco as well!

The male torso studies will be highly useful as a reference in my current project.

I envy the sparse lines you use : that convey so much.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Neat drawings and such, guys!

This is only semi related or whatever idk...

Speaking of drawing from a model... apparently art students at my university used to be allowed by a certain professor into our human cadaver lab to view the specimens. I am not sure what level the students were and know almost zero context to this personally. I'm uncertain if they also viewed organs or if they just viewed external anatomy and I do not know how useful they found the experience.

It was a bit interesting to hear because I do not know how common of a practice this sort of thing is. (Also apparently they were not legally allowed in the lab, so their visits were obviously not allowed to continue.)

Edit: Lol why did so many of you like this post? It is not even related to the OP.

Last edited:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Neat drawings and such, guys!

This is only semi related or whatever idk...

Speaking of drawing from a model... apparently art students at my university used to be allowed by a certain professor into our human cadaver lab to view the specimens. I am not sure what level the students were and know almost zero context to this personally. I'm uncertain if they also viewed organs or if they just viewed external anatomy and I do not know how useful they found the experience.

It was a bit interesting to hear because I do not know how common of a practice this sort of thing is. (Also apparently they were not legally allowed in the lab, so their visits were obviously not allowed to continue.)

So cool! In the book The Agony and The Ecstasy it talks about how Michelangelo used to dissect human cadavers so as to gain insight into anatomy...

[MENTION=26281]geedoenfj[/MENTION] I was frustrated with the end result of these (as you can tell by the 50 million eraser marks).

BUT, I took your advice and did them from memory. Was at the beach (it's a scorcher this weekend :)) and would memorize a body and then try to reproduce them - but without bathing suits & in either same or a different pose - using your tips and different types of shading. I can definitely do a lot better, but I AM pleased with putting your advice into practice :hug:

Beach_zps2m4xve1h.jpg

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So cool! In the book The Agony and The Ecstasy it talks about how Michelangelo used to dissect human cadavers so as to gain insight into anatomy...

[MENTION=26281]geedoenfj[/MENTION] I was frustrated with the end result of these (as you can tell by the 50 million eraser marks).

BUT, I took your advice and did them from memory. Was at the beach (it's a scorcher this weekend :)) and would memorize a body and then try to reproduce them - but without bathing suits & in either same or a different pose - using your tips and different types of shading. I can definitely do a lot better, but I AM pleased with putting your advice into practice :hug:

Beach_zps2m4xve1h.jpg

That's excellent for a body memorizing!! I struggle with that a big time, I can memorize objects and animals way better than memorizing human body!
I will later upload some of human forms and hands that I sketched recently, and also some human forms from the guide that I have ..

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Edit: Lol why did so many of you like this post? It is not even related to the OP.

Lol we enjoy your presence ;)
However I think art classes should provide it's own anatomy materials for their students rather than depending on the lad, lab should be is for science students only..

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Practicing on basic frame and hands

041437f71a26768e2b4617363c53f3b1.jpg

5a40d0f3687c0bfa75678ab6562b845c.jpg

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Practicing on basic frame and hands

041437f71a26768e2b4617363c53f3b1.jpg

5a40d0f3687c0bfa75678ab6562b845c.jpg

Your profile studies are going well. I see improvement from the last time in expressing ease of movement.

YOUR HANDS (sigh). Gorgeous. One of my fave's is the one crossed out?! You did not like it? Is it the pinky? Hands are ever so hard and I think the pinky provides character.

Hands next: my art mentor :)

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your profile studies are going well. I see improvement from the last time in expressing ease of movement.

YOUR HANDS (sigh). Gorgeous. One of my fave's is the one crossed out?! You did not like it? Is it the pinky? Hands are ever so hard and I think the pinky provides character.

Hands next: my art mentor :)

Well thank you!! I don't know I thought I should have made the outline of where fingers starts more curvy, I didn't like it at all in the beginning but when I got back to it later, I thought it was fine :)

Oh :blush: I'm not a mentor I mean look at you, you're so talented, but thank you ..

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I once researched classes like this in my area and found that there are quite a few options for a small cost. I should go to ne already.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still practicing with hands, it shall take me a long way to master it *sigh*
cde9239b166994a691c8ba3829947066.jpg

Still practicing with hands, it shall take me a long way to master it *sigh*
cde9239b166994a691c8ba3829947066.jpg

Those look pretty good actually. Hands were always a nuisance for me (and still are, ugh). You have to really make sure the length, spaces between the fingers, angles, and shading are all in proportion or else it can come out looking wonky. It takes constant practice to really grasp the concept of the human figure. I've been drawing since I was a little girl and am still learning something new every time.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those look pretty good actually. Hands were always a nuisance for me (and still are, ugh). You have to really make sure the length, spaces between the fingers, angles, and shading are all in proportion or else it can come out looking wonky. It takes constant practice to really grasp the concept of the human figure. I've been drawing since I was a little girl and am still learning something new every time.

Thank you Stargaze!
Yeah any wrong line or even shading would effect the whole figure, human body is the hardest to draw, specially the hands and face ugh! I was drawing at a very young age, but I stopped for years, except for few sketches every once in a while, I'm really hoping to be able to find a time to do more drawings..
I'm in love with your avatar btw :content: really beautiful :heart:

Thank you Stargaze!
Yeah any wrong line or even shading would effect the whole figure, human body is the hardest to draw, specially the hands and face ugh! I was drawing at a very young age, but I stopped for years, except for few sketches every once in a while, I'm really hoping to be able to find a time to do more drawings..
I'm in love with your avatar btw :content: really beautiful :heart:

Yeah, don't give up! And thanks for the avatar compliment. I like yours a lot too! :wubbie: