• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

(Nerd thread) Help me craft my own Star Wars character.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
So in some of my downtime I decided to play Star Wars: The Old Republic latest expansion mainly to follow the story line since I'm a huge Star Wars nut.

I get to chose between some 'classes' and I want this up to public opinion for all you Star Wars and gaming nerds out there.

My options:

Bounty Hunter : Flamethrowers, jet packs, blasters, and general badassary.
Sith : Darth Vader and Darth Sidious variety. Force choking and lightning galore.
Jedi: Luke Skywalker & Yoda variety. Flashy lightsabers and telekenetic projectiles.
Trooper: Lots of guns + military grade technology to obliterate enemies.
Smugglers: Sharp tongue Han Solo types. Have stealth and diversion tricks. Some even carry pointblank shotguns.
Snipers: Imperial snipers can pick off any body from long range with deadly precision and lack any sort of compassion.
Imperial agents/operatives: Stealthy assassins that will literally slice your throat.

Which of these seems "ENTP" and what storyline should I explore?

Thanks.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am currently finishing up the Jedi Consular storyline, and that will just leave me with Republic Trooper and Republic Smuggler to go.

As far as the other storylines, in the order I enjoyed them:

1 (tie). Sith Warrior: Pretty badass, the first one I finished, and if you ever wanted to play dark Side, well, this is freaking it.
1 (tie). Imperial Agent: Really enjoyable. Lots of intrigue, and going rogue and just taking the sneaky approach to stuff.
3. Jedi Counsular: Very much a diplomatic story line, where you're trying to first investigate a mystery regarding the turning of various Jedi masters and then trying to impress a bunch of skeptical planets so that they'll bail on the Emperor. Kind of cool, but very light side. Haven't reached the end yet.
4. Sith Inquisitor: This has an interesting storyline involving your master (Zhash) and one of your companions... highly amusing.
5 (tie). Bounty Hunter: A little straightforward
5 (tie). Jedi Knight: Pretty much what you'd expect. Some heroic moments in there, but kind of predictable and not as enjoyable for me as Sith warrior.

Sith Marauder was a lot of fun to play -- one lightsaber in each hand, and just doing superjumps and chewing up the enemy.
Sith Sorcerer was fun going with Lightning -- you can just chain a bunch of stuff or use AoE blasts like mad. The same goes for Jedi Consular if you take Telekinesis, you barely ever run out of juice and you're just chaining constantly.
Jedi Guardian / Sith Juggernaut feel pretty similar in play style.
I'd say Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent are a little more complicated to play, esp depending on the build. you have to mix and match various types of powers to be effective.

Still learning Trooper and Smuggler.

It's kind of, "What character did you always want to play?"

As far as humor quotient, I think the Smuggler and the Bounty Hunter storylines are meant to be the most "amusing."

Note that you can also play each story as Light, Dark, or somewhere in-between. Just because you're Republic doesn't mean you need to be Light Side, and vice versa. I actually played my Sith Inquisitor as Light Side straight through, and I'll be playing my Smuggler as Dark Side.
----

Oh, the companions have all been standardized so now they are interchangeable. Strategically, that makes the choice of which one goes with you a bit pointless aside from the special abilities of each; but they wanted to do that so you weren't stuck using a particular character if you wanted a tank, for example.

I typically run my companion as a Tank and send them in first, if I'm not playing a melee warrior. Otherwise you can go full damage. I find very few situations where I need a companion running in Heal mode, although maybe before you finish any storylines you might need that. See, every time you finish a class storyline, the special buff for that class is automatically added to any other characters you play in your legacy family. So your first character soloing will just have their class buff, but by the time you're on your 3-4th character, they will have most of the class buffs, and it improves your survivability greatly even if you are just soloing.

SOme companion storylines are meh, some are pretty funny and/or just unique. (Like the rogue w/ his holographic girlfriend, w/ the jedi counselor; or how you get your apprentice as a Sith Warrior). You can typically generate a romance with one of your companions, it depends on which gender you are as to which companion it is.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Mechanically I do the best with DPS Powertech/Vanguard , especially in PvP (earned high rank and lots of WZ commendations)but I never really followed the story line. My only finished one is Trooper with my Vanguard and that's not even complete on the KOTR.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION], what server are you on?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am over on Jedi Covenant, I think.

I have a few characters sitting on Harbinger too.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you stopped playing for the most part?

Cowardly

deactivated
Which of these seems "ENTP" and what storyline should I explore?
I played an Imperial Agent some time ago (it seemed like something I'd be doing in that universe). It has the best story according to other players (it is very good). Smuggler class resembles ENTP the most, in my opinion (female smuggler, especially).

I wasn't fond of Stealth when playing the Agent - I preferred the ranged abilities. Stealth mode is too slow, and the agent has cool grenades. I played Operative.

As far as I can remember Smuggler and Agent are mirror classes.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vector was okay. I just wasn't into the hive mind thing. :p

Yes, agent was mirror of smuggler, and trooper mirror of bounty hunter (with their heavy armor focus). Force class mirrors are obvious....

It took me time to adjust to the agent, but it was fun by the end. It also got powerful enough that I barely needed my companion, I was just dropping stuff in four quick actions before my guy had a chance to leap in....I just had to make sure I had my cover set up. But between sniping power, grenades, and aoes....ouch.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought smuggler screamed estp to me honestly. He was also very cheesy.

I played the Imperial Agent like a smartass and he ended up beautifully ENTP. Clever, socially manipulative, suave, ect. The whole point is being a spy, infiltration, seduction, assassination and whatnot. Putting on several masks that requires also being able to read people very well and act. I called him Ceirkan and he also uses vibroknives.

Of course I've tried other classes but generally I like the Agent, Sith Inquisitor, and Bounty Hunter ones the best. 1. Agent is fascinating and Jadus is well sophisticed for a sith. 2. Sith inquisitor is about becoming sith from nothin, and seems less brutish as the warrior has always come across. No offense. And they're all about sith knowledge, which I in reality am all about knowledge over brute force. 3. Bounty hunter underworld is interesting and I like theor focus on Honor as a warrior clan.

I was best with stealthy "stabby stab" agent as I'd call it. Trolling around pvp with it. But also sith sorcerer and assassin. Anything to do with sneaking around and then overwhelming quickly the opponent.

As for the republic classes I tend to find them less interesting since I prefer Empire, because of more developed depth. But it'd just be jedi shadow probably, and smuggler if it wasn't so cheesy.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Agent is also a rogue archetype. Rogues and sorcerers I end up the most fond of usually. Natural with. They fit great for ENTP and SP types I'd say.

I've crafted my own characters and their backstories. I always love to do that for roleplays. I wouldn't mind helping if there was anything to go off of. Sounds like your preference would fit best for bounty hunter then and maybe sith warrior with two sabers (forgot the name conveniently)/sith inquisitor.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Currently I'm running a Powertech Bounty Hunter (DPS Pyro spec) and a freshly rolled Jedi Sentinel ( 2 light saber version, combat spec). This weekend is double xp weekend plus I have a lot of exp bonuses from my legacy.

Personality wise in this game I think the Smuggler most closely resembles the ENTP type especially the options for snarky remarks. On my bounty hunter I really enjoy having Galt as a companion since he's actually funny plus I think his personality is pretty close to ENTP. ;)

Eventually I'll complete the story far enough on each class so I get the legacy credit. The only tank I run is my trooper ( I think its the most solid tank) and I hate playing healers but I ought to pick at least one.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gault's a crackup. Even how he joins your party is rather amusing.

EDIT: Just found a list of everyone. Sidekicks of interest are mentioned below:

Sith Warrior: Vette (a little too good for Dark Side, but some nice banter... and hey, you can torture her with a shock collar early in game) and Jaesa, especially if you turn her dark side. YOu can make her go REALLY Dark too, if you push her; she's almost philosophical about it, relaying her experiences to you as she slips further and further into the freedom of her dark emotions.

Bounty Hunter: Mako's almost too good for you; Blizz (the Jawa?) is funny in how excited he gets but one note, Gault's got the best banter and is genial but rather slimy... the used car salesman. The sidekicks for Bounty Hunter are more amusing than most (I consider that and the Smuggler to be the "humor" classes.)

Inquisitor: Khem Val is the first companion and really annoying to deal with... until the whole Zhash subplot catches up and suddenly he's more likeable; Ashara is interesting as a Jedi side who becomes a Sith companion and you can twist her a bit depending on how you interact, she's more pragmatic than most Jedi, I had to be more persuasive with her than with Jaesa who just seems to THRILL to become Dark Side; Xalek is just a badass that you really need to keep on a leash because he has no scruples.

IMperial Agent: Kaliyo is pretty Dark but kind of annoying in terms of winning her approval, she's always stirring crap up and getting offended, and you can't quite trust her; while Lokin is your pragmatic morally ambiguous scientist here, I approve most of SCORPIO, the AI robot you defeat and take under your wing -- she's cool, kind of intriguing, and actually pretty scary. I wasn't sure if I'd have to actually kill her somehow at some point.

Jedi Knight: Most people seem to use Kira (double-bladed saber Jedi), she's pretty much what you'd expect; Doc is the female love interest but feels a bit skeevy; Scourge was probably the most interesting as the Sith convert.

Jedi Consular: I'm using Tharan right now out of the three I've opened, again he's kind of skeevy and you can even hook up with him on a one-night as a female player, but he's got this odd relationship with his holograph gal Holiday; Qyzen bores me although he's got a little depth later, underneath that "Klingon-style honor/hunter" schtick; and Zenith srsly needs to lighten up a bit.

Haven't gotten far in the remaining two classes.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh! I've got a smuggler class but I've defied that cheesy stereotype of Han Solo and instead ended up with a dark edgy smuggler.;) quite istp. More thuggish. Doesn't have a side in the war just wants underworld presence and lackies. Also wears a mask. To make him the intimidation smuggler.

Defying norm.

/As for Gault. Yes. I love gault. He is very ENTP and I find him entertaining. But certain limits I have when it comes to his scams. Since he isn't honorable.

I mainly did Agent the way I did because everyone does agent serious and it's too predictable. So now my crazy ENTP unprofessional agent is stabby stabbing around and pissIng off all in story characters so far. And he has the perfect companion to do it with. Kaliyo the ESTP. Thus, it fits!

Edit: normal smuggler was potrayed as an ESTP I thought. Since he's not taken seriously. Like, clever, but flirty and acting on impulse alot. Thrill seeker. Never theoretically enclined just bored by it. Interesting in physical thrills and pleasures more than intellectual.

The agent spent his whole time unraveling conspiracies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SInce I'm so far along, I've been holocron searching now, trying to complete planets in the Legacy points aspect.

Also soloing the Heroic quests, again to complete planets. The problem is that when I do that, especially with rested XP, I level way too fast and like I said I have all the buffs since I've completed so many class stories. So here I am soloing Heroics without much effort, and (for example) my Consular hit level 50 when I've just finished Balmorra. So even when they drop your level to the planet you're on, I've still got all the buffs and higher-level powers accessible and it makes the gameplay a bit too easy.

I mainly did Agent the way I did because everyone does agent serious and it's too predictable. So now my crazy ENTP unprofessional agent is stabby stabbing around and pissIng off all in story characters so far. And he has the perfect companion to do it with. Kaliyo the ESTP. Thus, it fits!

That would be pretty funny. If I run it again, I might try that.

I played it first time through as a female Chiss (which makes for some extra connections with the Chiss folks who show up?), but very cold and impersonal (total Dark Side) and mainly concerned about retaining her independence. Totally in control of herself and very calculating rather than chaotic. (INxJ?) People were just numbers to her.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I played a lot of Trooper so I'll add my 2 cents on the companions. One GREAT thing about trooper before the companion reworks was that every single of of your companions use heavy armor so it was easy hand-me-downs.

Aric Jorgan : probably ESTJ. Your typical military commander, nothing out of the ordinary and virtually no sense of humor. He has a fierce loyalty to Havoc Squad and develops unshakable loyalty to you being the new commander after not trusting you at first. Almost all light choices will increase your influence with him while dark side wont. Play wise can use a cannon which is pretty cool

Elara: Since everyone can heal now not very special but she used to be the go to healer. Kind of an interesting story being an ex-imperial officer that's defected to the republic. She's really uptight and 'proper' but gradually opens up. Romantic interest for the male trooper. I'd say IxTJ. Influence with light side choices.

4x: A combat droid. This thing is like the ultimate Republic cheerleader to the point where it's cheesy and kind of annoying. ExFJ. There are some funny interactions when he tries to understand people interactions. Playwise is pretty cool. Has a harpoon which can pull enemies to him which is a unique mechanic for a companion. Light side influences him.

Vic: I think he was a dishonorably discharged soldier. He's more of a thug and will get into crime when the opportunity is convenient. Vic is really your only dark side companion you can gain influence with so he's your go to for dark troopers. He never had much of a personality though so it's hard to type him. I'd say ISTP probably. Play wise he's a melee vibrosword guy, nothing special.

Yuun: This guy is weird. I hate that he doesn't speak common (you have to read the translation) but he refers to himself in the third person and is obsessed with technology (from what I remember). Yuun is also spiritual. Friendly guy but little sense of humor like all the trooper companions. Play wise nothing special, just a melee guy. INxJ I'd say. Light side options build influence with him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4x: A combat droid. This thing is like the ultimate Republic cheerleader to the point where it's cheesy and kind of annoying. ExFJ. There are some funny interactions when he tries to understand people interactions. Playwise is pretty cool. Has a harpoon which can pull enemies to him which is a unique mechanic for a companion. Light side influences him.

Yeah, Dr. Lokin (IMperial Agent companion) can change between human and Rakghoul form (for one of his quirks), but he also does the metal lasso thing and thus grab/pull all the enemies in. You have to be careful with this because if you have an AoE starting at their old positions, sometimes he'll lasso them all and pull them out of the target area; if you wait for him to do his lasso thing, then you can just nail the area where he has bunched them all up.

I have seen a few Dark Side Trooper clips, where you can gun down a senator inside the Senate room (for example) and tick off everyone.

IN general, the game will react SHORT- term to choices you make like that, but I wish it would have a larger effect on the overall plot. For example, with the Consular, I have been ordered to do something morally ambiguous in the field and refused (as a very noble Light Side character), and the most I'll get is chewed out for a screen or two when I turn in the quest since maybe I kept my morals intact but I cost the Republic a battlefield advantage... and then on the next screen, the guy pretty much rolls over and says, "But I can see your point, we'll keep fighting and somehow we will win." NO. I would have loved to see where choices like that persisted in the storyline, and the guy remained mad at me and it might impact later events on the planet. Or maybe a lot of people end up dying / losing their homes (or something equally tragic) because I made a "noble" choice earlier in the plot.

I think they might have done this just to keep each planet from becoming too complex with the plot splits but maybe as games keep getting more advanced / capable, they'd be able to let the ramifications play out longer.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, Dr. Lokin (IMperial Agent companion) can change between human and Rakghoul form (for one of his quirks), but he also does the metal lasso thing and thus grab/pull all the enemies in. You have to be careful with this because if you have an AoE starting at their old positions, sometimes he'll lasso them all and pull them out of the target area; if you wait for him to do his lasso thing, then you can just nail the area where he has bunched them all up.

I have seen a few Dark Side Trooper clips, where you can gun down a senator inside the Senate room (for example) and tick off everyone.

IN general, the game will react SHORT- term to choices you make like that, but I wish it would have a larger effect on the overall plot. For example, with the Consular, I have been ordered to do something morally ambiguous in the field and refused (as a very noble Light Side character), and the most I'll get is chewed out for a screen or two when I turn in the quest since maybe I kept my morals intact but I cost the Republic a battlefield advantage... and then on the next screen, the guy pretty much rolls over and says, "But I can see your point, we'll keep fighting and somehow we will win." NO. I would have loved to see where choices like that persisted in the storyline, and the guy remained mad at me and it might impact later events on the planet. Or maybe a lot of people end up dying / losing their homes (or something equally tragic) because I made a "noble" choice earlier in the plot.

I think they might have done this just to keep each planet from becoming too complex with the plot splits but maybe as games keep getting more advanced / capable, they'd be able to let the ramifications play out longer.

I agree I wish the story line wasn't so linear especially when they offer you these choices. Granted a lot more resources would have to go into the game if they created more outcomes based on the choices and I don't know if they're willing to do that (Bioware,EA).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I can say from my brief time on the game if you want to get an understanding of the larger picture at play in the background of the story then Imperial Agent gives you access to a lot of information others don't get.

Plus you can be a dick and piss off a Sith Lord and he:

Personally I'd do it over and over again.

PS: You are talking about the MMORPG right?