• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Warcraft (Movie)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, at long last this is coming out, but it looks (as expected) like it's going to tank badly.

Which is a shame, because it has eaten up a number of years of time for director Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son), who also made two nice, interesting little movies -- "Moon" and "Source Code" -- and had big things on the horizon but then got stuck with this dog.

The long production time (four years?) on this means the animation is even more outdated than it was when production started (which you can see if you've seen the trailers), plus it looks like just your cliché mishmash of fantasy license elements dumped into a movie. I didn't even much like playing the WoW expansions dealing with these guys, and now they spent four years making a movie rehashing it.

Reviews are starting to dribble out; RT only has five (almost most from "Top critics") and so far at a 40%, and one of the two positive reviews says "the movie doesn't suck" (as a glowing endorsement) and that he would enjoy seeing a double-header with Warcraft and either Legend, Ladyhawke, or Beastmaster, so... there ya go. MetaCritic only has four reviews so far, but it's hitting only a 29... pretty abysmal.

About the only point of interest is the minor intersection with the AMC "Preacher" show -- apparently the King and Queen in the human side of things are played by Dominic Cooper ("Jesse Custer") and Ruth Negga ("Tulip"), who now are also apparently dating / living together IRL if reports are to be believed. It's like someone footed the two of them $160 million to join a virtual Match dot com.

Maybe something will be salvageable here, but... not looking good.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds like they're just tapping a well-established brand for $$$$ like the latest Star Wars consumer craze.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I strongly suspect the movie will be well received by the fans: Those who really like the game, and it's history. But otherwise, it's not going to do so well. I predict it's going to be very well intended, but all over the place as it's trying to do too much in a short span of time, much like Batman v Superman.

Which is a shame, but not unsurprising. I always thought Warcraft would have been better served as a TV series, much like Game of Thrones, as the pacing would have been better and due to the sheer volume of stuff that's happened since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans ------> Warlords of Draenor.

I will still go and see it, just because I want to see what they did, but that's just me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like they're just tapping a well-established brand for $$$$ like the latest Star Wars consumer craze.

It was funny when schlock director Uwe Boll supposedly pleaded for a shot at directing the film and was told there was no chance in heck they would let him ruin the property (since he had handled some other game-licensed movies and did a shoddy job). But yes, it clarified they were tapping into their licensed property of Warcraft and want a return on their investment; the game membership numbers dropped significantly in recent years.

They have also branched out into a lot of other non-MMO games, so they are no longer solely dependent on WoW for their revenue inflow (which was really really smart on their part), but here they seem to just want to get whatever they can from their established property. it does seem to be financially driven, versus artistically.

The 5 million subscriber base might go see it. And people with disposable income, if nothing else big is coming out. It's just that the $160 million budget is hard to make up for (along with the additional advertising costs) if you don't nail the first few weekends.

I strongly suspect the movie will be well received by the fans: Those who really like the game, and it's history. But otherwise, it's not going to do so well. I predict it's going to be very well intended, but all over the place as it's trying to do too much in a short span of time, much like Batman v Superman.

Which is a shame, but not unsurprising. I always thought Warcraft would have been better served as a TV series, much like Game of Thrones, as the pacing would have been better and due to the sheer volume of stuff that's happened since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans ------> Warlords of Draenor.

I will still go and see it, just because I want to see what they did, but that's just me.

I'd love to hear what you think about it, after you go.
(I'll watch it at home, in a few months, if it seems to be worth the time.)

I agree about the TV aspect. It seems really hard to condense all that into a 2-hour movie.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd love to hear what you think about it, after you go.
(I'll watch it at home, in a few months, if it seems to be worth the time.)

I agree about the TV aspect. It seems really hard to condense all that into a 2-hour movie.

But of course m'lady!

//tips fedora

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't played WoW (old skool here, I played Tides of Darkness and the expansions back in the 90s), so I wonder if knowledge of that game is a prerequisite to understand this film.

Would be cool if "I'm a Medieval Man" was in the movie.

"Why do you keep touching me?"

This looks like it will tank as badly as that Dungeons & Dragons movie. It just looks too niche.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never really played WoW, just scoped it out years ago, couldn't stick. I did play a good bit of ToD and WC3 which were pretty awesome. WC3 is older than shit but still has a respectable player base.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't played WoW (old skool here, I played Tides of Darkness and the expansions back in the 90s), so I wonder if knowledge of that game is a prerequisite to understand this film.

Well, if the movie actually has any value, it should be accessible regardless of whether you have played some version of Warcraft or WoW.

But I was sick of the Orc history plots in WoW before "Warlords of Draenor" (current expansion) ever released, and all Warlords was about was more of the same Orc subplot. Arggggg...... I got a character or two up to the 100 cap and then quit. it seems like there is so much more to the various races and history that could have been interesting. And it took them four years to make the movie, so ... I suppose maybe they thought they'd have this thing out to cross-market with Warlords when that expansion released last year, and they didn't even come close to timing it correctly.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure where you're getting at. Regardless of tomato score, not too recent movies like Terminator Genisys (26% rating) made 400 mil. As long as the fanbase is marginal enough to support the movie, it will be successful no matter what score it receives. If it does bomb, I'm pretty sure it'll still do much better than final fantasy: spirits the within.

Besides, the plot on sympathizing with orcs, their redemption, and breaking the stigma of their mindless savagery has sold millions of copies since warcraft 3. Personally, I prefer the heroic/villainous themes of good vs evil and sacrifice that is depicted in warcraft 2. I only play horde mainly to get buttlusted.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure where you're getting at. Regardless of tomato score, not too recent movies like Terminator Genisys (26% rating) made 400 mil. As long as the fanbase is marginal enough to support the movie, it will be successful no matter what score it receives. If it does bomb, I'm pretty sure it'll still do much better than final fantasy: spirits the within.

I think I'm getting that, at best, they will recoup more losses overseas than in the US. It turns out they are competing against Conjuring 2 (not good) in the USA that weekend, and another movie. The prediction is they will make $25 million USA opening weekend, against a $160 million budget + the advertising they have invested (which could easily be another $100 million); I'm not sure they will break even, even with overseas box office to draw from.

‘Warcraft’ Looks for Modest $25 Million Opening at U.S. Box Office | Variety

Ironically, I saw Terminator: Genysis and once I got over how they screwed up the beauty of the first two movies by retcon'ing stuff, it's probably my third favorite movie of the five (and I despise Jai Courtney, generally). I enjoyed it, as fluff action goes, and they did try to do something different with it. But despite making $400 million (which you are suggesting is a sign it was successful), that number was considered BAD enough in the projections that it looks like they've canceled further Terminator movies for the moment. it wasn't considered a success by any means, really.

Besides, the plot on sympathizing with orcs, their redemption, and breaking the stigma of their mindless savagery has sold millions of copies since warcraft 3. Personally, I prefer the heroic/villainous themes of good vs evil and sacrifice that is depicted in warcraft 2. I only play horde mainly to get buttlusted.

This is a movie, not a game. not sure what your logic is here, it's looking like it's going to be a large flop and might not get a sequel.

I was wrong about "four year" production, turns out they announced this in 2006 although they couldn't settle on directors and actors until 2012-2013.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I saw the movie yesterday with some friends of mine. I will just put in spoilers what someone on the wow forums said as it perfectly states what I thought about the film

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just watched the movie, I can definitely see why critics are panning it as really bad.