• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Preacher"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone plan to watch the "Preacher" adaptation on AMC? The pilot (90 minutes) just aired this past Sunday.

I'm also thinking AMC is hoping this gets them some decent ratings that are not related to TWD or Breaking Bad. ("Into the Badlands" ended lower in the ratings from when it started.)

The show is based on a 75-issue comic series (Vertigo?) that concluded around 2000. I remember when it was running (Garth Ennis was writing), but I hadn't read any of it and I just know the basic characters. Curious to hear what people think if they are familiar with the actual comic series, once a few episodes get released. At the time, Preacher was known to be quite the mix of crazy language, crazy violence, and provocative comments on religion and social mores -- definitely an "adult" comic.

(There's also a famous character referred to as Arseface -- a kid who made a suicide pact with a friend but survived the attempt with a shotgun and whose remaining/"healed" face resembled, well, the more intimate areas of someone's bum; but the kid's character was far more positive, I think, to play against his appearance.)

As far as the pilot goes, I thought it was a decent setup in terms of the setting and characters, although it's not quite clear what the overall plot will be.

There were also three action set-pieces each to set the abilities and character of the three principals (Jesse Custer, the Preacher; Tulip; and Cassidy). They're all kind of bad-ass in their own way and can hold their own; and the violence quotient is kind of humorous/way over the top in a way that could approach Deadpool, aside from being on TV. Cassidy's got one trick up his sleeve by his very nature, which I'll include in the spoiler.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what they do with it. Seth Rogan is involved but not planning to appear in the series, and so there are some sensibilities there that remind me a bit of Pineapple Express while still actually being a pretty serious character exploration of Jesse trying to "go straight" and be a man of the cloth. In other words, some serious drama interspersed with some crazy action bits + wicked humor.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oops, I forgot about this show.

Duffy

Saw the pilot and enjoyed it ... a lot. Some real gratifying scenes in this one.

I have an idea of what powers Jesse and Cassidy possess, but not sure of Tulip. She suppose to be the 2nd coming of Macgyver?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Tulip sounds and kind of looks like Annie Potts; any relation?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tulip sounds and kind of looks like Annie Potts; any relation?

I see why you are asking, but no, I don't think Ruth Negga (the actor) is. She is also of Irish-Ethiopian descent, which sounds interesting.... She's been in some other stuff, I see, although I think the only thing I remember her from is probably World War Z as a minor character.

I have an idea of what powers Jesse and Cassidy possess, but not sure of Tulip. She suppose to be the 2nd coming of Macgyver?

I am not aware of any from the comic descriptions. But yes, she seemed to possess a pretty uncanny "bootstrap" ability there...

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like how they made Arseface "SILVERSCREEN" pretty.

preacher-tv-series-arseface.jpg

Where as in the comics
preach-625x350.jpg

This was from the first movie they tried to make but failed.
cw15epxwbflht9r1bcx5_zps3vuw5r6z.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, they prettied him up for the show, although part of it was trying to give the actor more range of expression. The comic medium, you just "hear dialogue in your head" and so the reader adds the necessary emotion, but on screen the actor has to deliver it. So I get it, but he definitely doesn't look as bad as the comic and might seem a little watered down visually.

I've seen real pictures of teens who did that to themselves, it's pretty disturbing to see the images.

Sh*ttyKarmaKid

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4/7
Jesse Custer - INFP
Tulip O'Hare - ESFP
Cassidy - ESTP
Herr Starr - INTJ
Arseface - ESFJ
Saint of Killers- ISTP
(Basically all that you need to know about the psychology of comic/show's main characters.)