• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good sci-fi novels

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty unacquainted with sci-fi literature and being all old and lazier and now- the shelf seems pretty daunting (to slough through the technobabble to try and get to the meat).

I've read some Asimov. His short stories (from Robot Dreams) are really interesting, but the longer the work, the more his weakness in characterization/dialogue shows (Robot series). I've also read Perdido Street Station by China Mievelle- who is so in love with his own world and the same 10 obscure adjectives meaning "dilapidated" that he never bothers to get to the point. And The Hitchiker's Guide, which was cute but not very lasting. And Ender's Game... who in the hell wants to read about other people playing a video game. And then boring moral retconn about it not being a video game. (Does Brave New World count?)

So what's GOOD?

Any western world newspaper is a goddamn science fiction novel :D And good ones, apparently ^^

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Very deep and a difficult read, but worth the effort - 'On a colony planet, men have established a society based on technological means of imitating the Hindu religion. It is possible to reincarnate the "mind" or "soul" to a new body, even an animal. But some of the earliest colonists have additional powers, which give them the status of gods. And a faction among them is using that means in political ways: punishing their enemies with reincarnation as animals, or with the "true death."'

I agree, this is very good. Difficult at first, but you get into the rhythm of the style and subject, and then it just flows.

oberon said:
Niven & Pournelle, Ringworld
Asimov, the Foundation trilogy

Agree. All are quite good.

Did Heinlein write The Moon is a Harsh Mistress ?? I found that to be a very interesting read.

I'm also just finishing up the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons, and have enjoyed it quite a bit.

Hmm...what others...I'll come back if I think of more.

Edit: Oh! Has anyone mentioned the RAMA series by Arthur C. Clarke?? As with most sci-fi, the first couple in the series are the best, but overall I enjoyed.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Ring of Five Dragons by Eric Van Lustbader

It's not quite sci-fi. When I read it, I believed it to be a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. :) But it was a really good book.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Peter F. Hamilton: Fallen Dragon

Quite a good yarn, with among the best endings evar IMO. His Reality Disfunction trilogy is also a good read but had a bit of a Deus Ex ending, though it built to it very well, well enough to recommend.

Also, Oberon: Pournelle wasn't part of Ringworld, he collaborated on The Mote In God's Eye, which is also a damn fine work and I highly recommend it. Ringworld is all Niven. Echo the praise of Card's Pastwatch, man what a doozy...couldn't put it down! But why the hate for Neal Stephenson? I loved his work across the board.

Cascademn: Yes, Moon is a Harsh Mistress is indeed Heinlein...odd one, took me a while to get used to the Russian accent, but it stands as a pillar of AI fiction, Mike is one of the archetypical sentient computers.