• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guitar Hero Live (Xbox One)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a Guitar Hero expert years back (2007 - 2008), so I decided to take a crack at the latest version of Guitar Hero.

I knew beforehand it was going to be very different from the original Guitar Hero, particularly the guitar controller which looks somehow smaller (ukelele sized) and has 6 buttons instead of 5 on the fretboard (the neck of the guitar).

I also figured it would be a finger joint killer, which it is. But that's because my fingers aren't what they used to be. The worst buttons for me are the whites, which force me to bend the fingers on my left hand down in a very tight and unnatural position.

The first songs in the game aren't exactly chart toppers. Those are unlocked after beating a few rounds of the game.

Guitar Hero Live features a live audience background. The concerts take place at a couple different venues. The original Guitar Hero used a fake audience. Everything is live, so the game does live up to its name, for a full immersion experience. When we purchase a 50+ inch TV in a couple months, it will be even more fully immersive.

When you play well, the audience goes wild and your fellow band members nod their heads and smile at you. When you do poorly, the audience begins to boo, throw things that look like white dixie cups on the stage, and the people on stage give you worried looks and comments. Some comments are supportive of your plight, others are rather negative. If you do a really crappy job, though, the game will show a female fan who apparently fainted from all the badness, and is being carried out.

They've changed the name "star power" to "hero power," which doesn't matter because they do precisely the same thing. But "star power" was a better name. The guitar itself has a few extra buttons, including a little knob/button that doubles as a joystick. The "highway" (the name of the on-screen fretboard that shows the notes coming down toward you from heaven or something), is a bland faux-wood brown, and the notes indicators are black or white guitar picks. The colors are generally muted down, and even engaging star power (or hero power) has far less of a "blast" on the screen than before.

Some reviewer on IGN wrote:

"The problem with GH Live is not the overly cheesy vamping of the live-action bandmates around you, nor is it the way they dynamically chastise you when you flub a solo. No, the problem is that I simply didn’t care about them. So little context is given between sets – just some brief radio DJ banter and a few fake fan tweets – that when you’re just shunted from band to band every three songs there’s never any sense of camaraderie on stage. I didn’t feel like part of the band; I felt like a total stranger."
Guitar Hero Live Review - IGN

It was generally a good review of the game. But I don't care about camaraderie. There are more important things to think about or try to work around. Why should I care about the camaraderie in a video game? It's cool to see everything on stage up close though.

(I admit to having felt game camaraderie on one occasion, while playing Skyrim. This game gives us companions to help us along. One time my companion was way off on an island firing magical blasts at some enemies in the distance who were trying to take me down. It was such a thoughtful gesture that, for the first time in my game-playing experience, I felt like a companion in a game was almost real. Talk about immersion... But it's not a feeling I actively seek out, unlike the reviewer at IGN.)

Guitar Hero Live is billed as being simpler yet more difficult to master. I think this is a good way to put it.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That looks fun, looking forward to seeing the playlist! I hope there is still a character customization option, the pictures there seem like real videos.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I forgot to mention, no mid-bosses or end-bosses to contend with in this Guitar Hero. Just songs to play.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That looks fun, looking forward to seeing the playlist! I hope there is still a character customization option, the pictures there seem like real videos.

I didn't see any character customization.

After weighing the pros and cons, I'd say, overall, that Guitar Hero Live is a "not recommended." There are just too many changes away from the successful formula that made Guitar Hero a great game.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see any character customization.

After weighing the pros and cons, I'd say, overall, that Guitar Hero Live is a "not recommended." There are just too many changes away from the successful formula that made Guitar Hero a great game.

It seems that way, yes. They have made many changes, and I don't mean to seem nostalgic but the previous GH games have a better playlist and style of game play. The soundtracks for GH Live are more into the pop/folk-rock genre which isn't my preferred taste and probably not for the old fans of the game either, but most people listen to this genre as it is more mainstream than the previous classic rock/metal song playlist. This game seems more suited to those who did not prefer the tracks of the previous and want a realistic setting.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems that way, yes. They have made many changes, and I don't mean to seem nostalgic but the previous GH games have a better playlist and style of game play. The soundtracks for GH Live are more into the pop/folk-rock genre which isn't my preferred taste and probably not for the old fans of the game either, but most people listen to this genre as it is more mainstream than the previous classic rock/metal song playlist. This game seems more suited to those who did not prefer the tracks of the previous and want a realistic setting.

I can deal with the playlist issue. But messing with the buttons was a bad, bad, bad idea.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I'm still playing this game. Unlike the critics at IGN, I don't just play a game for one hour and then post a slimy review. I play it for an hour, post a slimy review, and then play it for a few more hours and provide an update.

I'm already on the advanced level, one level below expert. I see that my old friends the hammer-ons and pull-offs are back. You really won't find many on the casual level. So far I've found that the chording is more realistic on this version of the guitar controller than on the old one. The fingers on my left hand aren't in as much pain as they're becoming used to the unnatural bending. What keeps me going is the challenge of learning a skill. (Type 5 is in the competency triad of the enneagram.) The music and the look of the game detract from any sense of excitement I might have gotten. But here's an amazing example of what can be done with this game after a little practice (I tried this song on advanced level and it was really hard; this girl is playing expert mode:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tonight my step-daughter showed me the different "highways" and picks that can be earned through successful game play. There's also a variety of "hero powers."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, the only thing going for this game is the realistic guitar play feel. This feeling can be enhanced by moving the fingers up and down the fret bar. This is possible by using only two fingers because there are three buttons in a row.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
iammaxhailme 7 months ago
So what, the star power meter only holds one SP phrase of charge now?

My video game autism is KILLING ME

No, dummy. And it's not called "star power" it's called "hero power."

"Hero power" can build up multiple uses during the game play so you can use one after the other.

Dummy.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
For me, the only thing going for this game is the realistic guitar play feel. This feeling can be enhanced by moving the fingers up and down the fret bar. This is possible by using only two fingers because there are three buttons in a row.

Why not spend your time on rock smith instead ? doesn't get more realistic than that, dont you think ?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not spend your time on rock smith instead ? doesn't get more realistic than that, dont you think ?

Because my fingers won't do it. I tried back in 2008 or so. And now my fingers are in even worse shape. I have a hard enough time with this game and the guitar controller which is 10 times more difficult to play than the original 5-button controller. A real guitar is a killer.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Because my fingers won't do it. I tried back in 2008 or so. And now my fingers are in even worse shape. I have a hard enough time with this game and the guitar controller which is 10 times more difficult to play than the original 5-button controller. A real guitar is a killer.

Yeah, it's interesting to see how the design for Guitar Queero -as I still like to call it- has changed. From a plastic stick with buttons to a plastic stick with more buttons...
I'm waiting for a game with a real guitar with real strings but with a LED fretboard underneath it. I'm spoiled. Must cost a fortune to mass produce something like that, but how good this would be for aspiring guitar players.

What's wrong with your fingers ? Arthritis or something ? Too bad.