• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ghostbusters 2016

Crabs

Permabanned
It looks like the insufferable Progressive movement has shit on a modern classic with this bastardized feminist propaganda. :2up:

Crabs

Permabanned
I love how the retards at Sony had 30 years to think about this movie and the end result still has a token black character who isn't as smart as the white people. In the first draft of the original film, the character of Winston didn't even exist. His lines belonged to Bill Murray's character. It was a last-minute decision to split them off into a fourth protagonist who was more relatable and down-to-earth.

Yet somehow Paul Feig and Sony's executives, with all of their bullshit leftist ideas, couldn't even manage to conjure up a fictional black scientist, and instead opted for an obnoxious, cliché, ghetto stereotype who has to leave the "science stuff" to the white women. Typical liberal hypocrisy in all of its glory. This movie fails even on a social justice level which it is clearly trying to pander to.

I hope this piece of shit flops so hard at the box office.

Permabanned
I love how the retards at Sony had 30 years to think about this movie and the end result still has a token black character who isn't as smart as the white people. In the first draft of the original film, the character of Winston didn't even exist. His lines belonged to Bill Murray's character. It was a last-minute decision to split them off into a fourth protagonist who was more relatable and down-to-earth.

Yet somehow Paul Feig and the Sony executives, with all of their bullshit leftist ideas, couldn't even manage to conjure up a fictional black scientist, and instead opted for a cliché, ghetto stereotype who has to leave the "science stuff" to the white women. Typical liberal hypocrisy in all of its glory. This movie fails even on a social justice level which it was trying to pander to.

I hope this piece of shit flops hard at the box office.

y so angry bruh? it's just a movie, with everything that entails.

ETA: w8, b4 u even, let me just

Crabs

Permabanned

Ghostbusters isn't just a movie, bruh. It's a classic of the highest caliber which transcends time and space. And when aliens visit the ruins of planet Earth millennia from now, may they find a preserved copy of this relic of human excellence and know that we were once a species with great intellect and potential.

But if they should find a copy of this irreverent filth masquerading as art instead, perhaps it will shed light on what ultimately led to the demise of mankind; as a grim reminder to the universe what death and destruction awaits any civilization that chooses to follow the same regretful path.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well they at least have a pretty good cast. I agree though. Doesn't look very funny.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and instead opted for an obnoxious, cliché, ghetto stereotype who has to leave the "science stuff" to the white women. Typical liberal hypocrisy in all of its glory. This movie fails even on a social justice level which it is clearly trying to pander to.
Or maybe it's failing at pandering to social justice because it's not trying to pander to social justice.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

ETA: w8, b4 u even, let me just

Pretty much. Females better get the fuck out of my movies right now

I don't want my boy to play with the chick Ghostbusters action figures because it'll turn him gay

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Actually, according to him, Ernie Hudson's part was originally much bigger, and possibly written for Eddie Murphy:

The painful what-if that haunts 'Ghostbuster' Ernie Hudson | EW.com

As a huge GB fan I'm looking forward to the new one. I like all of those people very much. I did sigh a little at the "three white scientists and the black subway attendant" thing. Like, why couldn't Melissa McCarthy be the subway attendant? Still, I adore Leslie Jones probably the most out of all four of them.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always wondered who the dudes were who were bothered by the existence of female Ghostbusters. I guess I know now. Were you also offended by Starbuck in the Battlestar Galactica reboot? Because that was a vast improvement on the original character, IMO (as the whole show was a vast improvement on the original- all the way up to the last episode which I try not to think about).

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a silly movie and it's fictional. It highly contradicts stereotypes of women. So what.

There are women who have such a strong desire to learn science and contribute to this world. Good for them that fight through discrimination, they have a tougher dating life too.

There are really more feminine actresses taking these roles on the film anyway? So it's not like it's going to get close to reality as possible. BUT IT'S A FILM.

I don't even know how you can get worked up on this film. Must contradict your values of tradition and order. Don't watch it.

Permabanned
Ghostbusters isn't just a movie, bruh. It's a classic of the highest caliber which transcends time and space. And when aliens visit the ruins of planet Earth millennia from now, may they find a preserved copy of this relic of human excellence and know that we were once a species with great intellect and potential.

But if they should find a copy of this irreverent filth masquerading as art instead, perhaps it will shed light on what ultimately led to the demise of mankind; as a grim reminder to the universe what death and destruction awaits any civilization that chooses to follow the same regretful path.

:greatscott::scream:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whatever. Blame Murray. He's the one who was noncommittal for 2 decades. There should've been a proper sequel years ago. I think he has a weird relationship with GB. He only did the original so Columbia would finance The Razor's Edge.

Yet somehow Paul Feig and Sony's executives, with all of their bullshit leftist ideas, couldn't even manage to conjure up a fictional black scientist, and instead opted for an obnoxious, cliché, ghetto stereotype who has to leave the "science stuff" to the white women. Typical liberal hypocrisy in all of its glory. This movie fails even on a social justice level which it is clearly trying to pander to.

I hope this piece of shit flops so hard at the box office.

That bothered me a bit too.

I don't know if it's true, but according to wikipedia, Winston was originally supposed to be the most intelligent member of the team, yet still the most down-to-earth. He would've had multiple degrees and a Phd while also being an ex marine. I guess the studio and producers didn't think that would be realistic or believable backstory for a black character in 1984 :dont:

I imagine he would've been something like Christopher Langan.

Pretty much. Females better get the fuck out of my movies right now

I don't want my boy to play with the chick Ghostbusters action figures because it'll turn him gay

I think the problem isn't that they gender swapped the team and Janine's role, but that it was a lazy way of re-making the original. I'll suspend judgment until I see the full film, but so far it looks like a case of changing everything without really changing a thing. "ooohh they made the ecto-1 a hearse this time!" Looks stupid and hideous. The jumpsuits look lazily reimagined. "Let's just add a few stripes!" The characters, for the most part, appear to be nearly identical to the originals, minus the obvious differences. I'd probably be just as irked if this were a male cast (I think at one point they were talking about using Paul Rudd, Rogen and Justin Long)

This looks as pointless as the Poltergeist remake. If you're going to remake a classic, do something different. I don't see that they have in this case, but again, maybe the trailer is simply trying to play up the most familiar elements to win the nostalgia junkies.

Actually, according to him, Ernie Hudson's part was originally much bigger, and possibly written for Eddie Murphy:

As a huge GB fan I'm looking forward to the new one. I like all of those people very much. I did sigh a little at the "three white scientists and the black subway attendant" thing. Like, why couldn't Melissa McCarthy be the subway attendant? Still, I adore Leslie Jones probably the most out of all four of them.

It even felt like they downplayed his character a bit in the sequel, although I liked his chemistry with Ackroyd. meh. Hollywood politics...

Crabs

Permabanned
Or maybe it's failing at pandering to social justice because it's not trying to pander to social justice.

It's a gimmick. Most fans weren't opposed to female Ghostbusters, myself included. There were already female Ghostbusters in other media forms. Paul Feig made all of them female and the secretary male to pander to the feminist movement which he identifies with.

In Dan Ayrkoyd's original concept, there were three primary team members: Venkman, Stantz and Ramsey. Bill Murray's role was written for John Belushi before he died and they wanted John Candy to play Louis Tulley. The plot also involved space travel.

According to the director, Ivan Reitman, that was just a rumor and Eddie Murphy was never approached for the role.

I always wondered who the dudes were who were bothered by the existence of female Ghostbusters. I guess I know now. Were you also offended by Starbuck in the Battlestar Galactica reboot? Because that was a vast improvement on the original character, IMO (as the whole show was a vast improvement on the original- all the way up to the last episode which I try not to think about).

I always wondered who the people were who falsely assumed the reason fans are opposed to this reboot is because it includes females.

I'm not a fan of Battlestar Galactica and therefore don't give a shit.

Whatever. Blame Murray. He's the one who was noncommittal for 2 decades. There should've been a proper sequel years ago. I think he has a weird relationship with GB. He only did the original so Columbia would finance The Razor's Edge.

I do. He had a bit of a grudge against Harold Ramis after Groundhog Day and reportedly wouldn't do another Ghostbusters sequel because of it.

I don't know if it's true, but according to wikipedia, Winston was originally supposed to be the most intelligent member of the team, yet still the most down-to-earth. He would've had multiple degrees and a Phd while also being an ex marine. I guess the studio and producers didn't think that would be realistic or believable backstory for a black character in 1984 :dont:

I've always heard that Winston's character was derived from Venkman's character. Winston is a Marine in other media, including the novelization of the movie and the video game which was voiced by the original actors. Ernie Hudson was also in the Marine Corps, though he claims that an earlier version of his character was in the Air Force or something.

I think the problem isn't that they gender swapped the team and Janine's role, but that it was a lazy way of re-making the original. I'll suspend judgment until I see the full film, but so far it looks like a case of changing everything without really changing a thing. "ooohh they made the ecto-1 a hearse this time!" Looks stupid and hideous. The jumpsuits look lazily reimagined. "Let's just add a few stripes!" The characters, for the most part, appear to be nearly identical to the originals, minus the obvious differences. I'd probably be just as irked if this were a male cast (I think at one point they were talking about using Paul Rudd, Rogen and Justin Long)

This looks as pointless as the Poltergeist remake. If you're going to remake a classic, do something different. I don't see that they have in this case, but again, maybe the trailer is simply trying to play up the most familiar elements to win the nostalgia junkies.

Exactly. It's lazy and unoriginal. Sony just wanted to prostitute the "Ghostbusters" name to make money. They don't give two shits about the fans or remaining faithful to the source material and neither does this director.

I was also perturbed by the rumors of Judd Apatow's involvement in the past, along with his cast of usual actors (though Paul Rudd was one of the few exceptions). I believe Apatow is still a producer on this current atrocity. Most fans were not in support of a reboot in any capacity and wanted a continuation of the original characters and their respective actors.

It even felt like they downplayed his character a bit in the sequel, although I liked his chemistry with Ackroyd. meh. Hollywood politics...

Same here. I liked the character and wish they would've included him in more scenes and promotional material.

Not surprisingly, the trailer is receiving much more negative feedback than positive, but I can only speak for myself. I will not be supporting this blasphemy in theaters.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was also perturbed by the rumors of Judd Apatow's involvement in the past, along with his cast of usual actors (though Paul Rudd was one of the few whom I wasn't opposed to). I believe Apatow is still a producer on this current atrocity. Most fans were not in support of a reboot in any capacity and wanted a continuation of the original characters and their respective actors.

Same here. I liked the character and wish they would've included him in more scenes and promotional material.

Not surprisingly, the trailer is receiving much more negative feedback than positive, but I can only speak for myself. I will not be supporting this blasphemy in theaters.

I wouldn't mind Paul Rudd.

I think the proper thing to do that would've made everyone happy: make it a true sequel, but a passing of the torch. Egon has passed away (or perhaps he was killed by ghosts, thus giving the remaining three a reason to investigate). The other Ghostbusters come out of retirement for whatever reason, and here is where they need to bring in the next generation, after having a collective "too old for this shit" epiphany. Bring in a mixed gender cast, perhaps some of them as descendants of the original team. From there, go in a completely new direction, rather than doing what the new trailer makes look like a rehash of the first 2 films' plots. Also, more Louis Tully and Janine would be nice, as well as Sigourney.

Crabs

Permabanned
I wouldn't mind Paul Rudd.

I think the proper thing to do that would've made everyone happy: make it a true sequel, but a passing of the torch. Egon has passed away (or perhaps he was killed by ghosts, thus giving the remaining three a reason to investigate). The other Ghostbusters come out of retirement for whatever reason, and here is where they need to bring in the next generation, after having a collective "too old for this shit" epiphany. Bring in a mixed gender cast, perhaps some of them as descendants of the original team. From there, go in a completely new direction, rather than doing what the new trailer makes look like a rehash of the first 2 films' plots. Also, more Louis Tully and Janine would be nice, as well as Sigourney.

Most fans didn't mind the female characters who were already established in the Ghostbusters universe being incorporated into the film. It's this whole gender-swap gimimck that pissed everyone off.

As far as passing the torch, your idea is pretty consistent with what a lot of fans had thought and hoped for. I, myself, would've rather seen a dark, animated sequel with the original actors voicing their characters. Hell, with all of the shitty CGI in this movie, it's half-cartoon anyway.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most fans didn't mind the female characters who were already established in the Ghostbusters universe being incorporated into the film. It's this whole gender-swap gimimck that pissed everyone off.

As far as passing the torch, your idea is pretty consistent with what a lot of fans had thought and hoped for. I, myself, would've rather seen a dark, animated sequel with the original actors voicing their characters. With all of the shitty CGI in this movie, it's half-cartoon anyway.

Well, I will not be seeing this one. I might watch it on TV. The majority of remakes I've seen lately have been dull and uninspiring. Occasionally a good one comes along that pays respect to the original whilst doing something unique, fun and new. I just have a feeling that won't be the case with this one, and I'm usually pretty good at predicting these things. I don't know if it will bomb completely, but I have a hard time seeing it make the same cultural splash as the original...I expect it will be forgotten or laughed about in 5 years and the film will show up in the bargain bins and used stands.

I remember a podcast review of the original Poltergeist, and the reviewers were baffled by the remake. "Why not just make a new ghost movie?" asked one of them. IMO, Paranormal Activity was a better remake of Poltergeist, and that isn;t saying much.

So, why remake Ghostbusters? Why not just make a new horror-comedy-sci-fi film in the vein of Ghostbusters and similar classics? It's all about name recognition and branding. Ugh.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's a gimmick. Most fans weren't opposed to female Ghostbusters, myself included. There were already female Ghostbusters in other media forms. Paul Feig made all of them female and the secretary male to pander to the feminist movement which he identifies with.
Oh. My mistake. Maybe. Probably. .. Likely. It totally doesn't help that there are a lot of people who've been crying 'wah feminism' on this solely because there are female leads. Too many people immediately jump to wild, unfounded speculations on context and intent when there are chicks in the plot.

But, uhm. I wasn't familiar with Feig at all, until about two minutes ago when I did a Google search on him. Between his movie credits and e.g. Paul Feig: Why Men Aren't Funny (Guest Column) - Hollywood Reporter .. yeah, I'm willing to entertain the notion that this project is pandering.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've thought another Ghost Busters has been a bad idea for a very long time.

So far, I don't find this especially promising looking.

I don't give a shit that the cast is all female.

If this movie turns out to be crap, then every person who's complaining about the female cast is going to obscure the fact that this movie is actually crap by making it look instead like people are only against it for a really dumb ass reason.