• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

no one watches live TV except sports

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nobody Watches Live Television Anymore, Unless It's Sports

This seems so amazing to me given how locked in people used to be to the network TV schedule less than 2 decades ago.

Read the whole thing

Money quote

According to the Nielsen “Year in Sports Media” 2015 report, 93 percent of the top 100 live TV programs were sports content. This shows a dramatic increase from 2005, when sports programming made up only 14% of live TV viewership. Compare that to how only 66% of “General Drama” (shows that Nielsen would categorize as drama, family, or reality series) viewers watched their programs live, and the numbers are even more surprising.

Nice infographics at the link, too...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
who really would watch live tv when you can stream it through another service and skip the commercials (and binge watch whole seasons!)?

apparently things like that are actually changing how tv storytelling goes, since when people watch entire seasons in one go they can be written as more of a season long arc than a more episodic structure that tv used to take, from what I've read elsewhere :)

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I don't care about sports except for how well looking the athletes are.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'll happily be in the minority and keep cable or whatever simply for news and sports but I use the DVR heavily, too.

DerekE

But all the people who don't want to pay for ESPN are getting rid of cable and dragging their subscriber numbers down. I don't get into sports until baseball season, even then I watch it on my phone. (MLB At Bat, FTW!)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
who really would watch live tv when you can stream it through another service and skip the commercials (and binge watch whole seasons!)?

apparently things like that are actually changing how tv storytelling goes, since when people watch entire seasons in one go they can be written as more of a season long arc than a more episodic structure that tv used to take, from what I've read elsewhere :)

Yeah I was thinking the same. Plus that season long arc style generates a more forward looking narrative where new ideas can be encorporated on the fly and still tie in to the overall theme and structure of the narrative.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But all the people who don't want to pay for ESPN are getting rid of cable and dragging their subscriber numbers down. I don't get into sports until baseball season, even then I watch it on my phone. (MLB At Bat, FTW!)

That app is worth every cent. I LOVE baseball.

Imran520

These days, you’re more likely to tune in to watch a Golden State Warriors game than the latest episode of Scandal.