• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your 2016 Oscars Live Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have seen barely any of the films that were in the running. That's why I usually don't watch the Oscars. Also, new Walking Dead was on.

I'm really glad Ennio won best score. I tend to be more interested in the categories regarding the technical side of the art. Music, FX, Cinematography, etc.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was So Much This:

675815-610x256.jpg

Alas, Fury Road -- you did not win the biggest prizes of all, but you will still enter the gates of Valhalla, all SHINY and CHROME!!

FUCK, I'm a universal donor. That means I have to be a blood bag if I'm captured by Lord Trumpmungus' marauders.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have seen barely any of the films that were in the running. That's why I usually don't watch the Oscars. Also, new Walking Dead was on.

I'm really glad Ennio won best score. I tend to be more interested in the categories regarding the technical side of the art. Music, FX, Cinematography, etc.

Ah, so that means that John Williams did not take home another one.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, so that means that John Williams did not take home another one.

I didn't expect he would. He was probably running out of room on his award shelf. I sensed Ennio or Johansson would win. Ennio's award was a case of "it's about time" since he's never won (unless we count his lifetime achievement oscar several years back) and Hateful Eight was by no means his best work. It was a good example of the academy awarding someone who they've shafted in the past but has become a legend by most popular opinion. It was similar to Connery winning best supporting actor for the Untouchables in his late 50s

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's funny is that I think Ennio turned down the first request to score that movie, right?

I actually didn't watch the Walking Dead or the Oscars, I played SWTOR instead. :D

I'll watch TWD tonight.

Actually, this was a good year for movies. Pretty much all the stuff that showed up was good, at least, as opposed to crap years where they were stretching to find anything to nominate. Or when a loser movie wins Best Pic. The biggest problem was the homogenous palette. They have to work on diversifying the base to be more representative, which will then impact the nominations. Still not even sure the voting process is great; how many of the voters actually saw all the movies that eventually got nominated, and which ones lost simply because they were not seen by enough people to win their vote?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's funny is that I think Ennio turned down the first request to score that movie, right?

That's what I read. I think Tarantino had wanted to use him as far back as Inglorious Basterds (I hate that spelling). It's my understanding he had to beg Ennio to do this one, since Ennio has largely turned his back on Hollywood and mostly scores Italian and independent films now.

Actually, this was a good year for movies. Pretty much all the stuff that showed up was good, at least, as opposed to crap years where they were stretching to find anything to nominate. Or when a loser movie wins Best Pic. The biggest problem was the homogenous palette. They have to work on diversifying the base to be more representative, which will then impact the nominations. Still not even sure the voting process is great; how many of the voters actually saw all the movies that eventually got nominated, and which ones lost simply because they were not seen by enough people to win their vote?

That's kind of how I felt. It really sucks that it was so homogenous, but if there isn't a more diverse pool to begin with, it's hard to blame the academy. The culture of filmmaking in Hollywood needs to change at a deeper level. The potential good outcome of the backlash against the academy might be an increase in diversity among actors being sought out for roles. I have a feeling casting agencies, producers and directors will be looking for more diversity when they're seeking out the "next big thing" actors.

Something else I haven't seen more people complaining about is the lack of women and non-whites in certain areas (directing and scoring are still largely boys' clubs, although it's changing, however slowly). It can't be forced, just as women shouldn't be persuaded to pursue STEM careers unless they're actually interested, but there's no reason it shouldn't be encouraged more. Hollywood is a lot more conservative than our Clooneys and Damons might have us believe, and in more ways than one.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
So once I was waiting to use the bathroom - all the stalls were locked and there were three urinals total. Leo was using the right one and another guy was using the one of the left, leaving only one in the middle open. Now when it comes to the bathroom etiquette I'm generally a considerate man, so I decided to wait until one of them finished, because most folk prefer not to brush against each others shoulders when pissing . Alas, they were taking too long and my need was pressing. Reluctantly I approached the only urinal available. When I was within about three feet of my intended destination, Leo's head suddenly jerked to the left and his eyes darted across his shoulder, as that of a deer that heard a branch crack under a predator's foot. Within one second flat his pants were up, belt buckle clasped, his determined gate propelling him toward the exit.

As I stood at there, unwinding my bladder from its critical capacity, I reflected on what would compel Leo to react so suddenly and surely leave piss stains all over his underwear - for I was quite certain that he spent no time on a proper shake off. Does he have micturating inhibitions? Did he think I'd take a peek and was concerned that the humdrum reality would not live up to my expectations? Or perhaps he's sporting a kielbasa so thick it'd make Ron Jeremy blush, but being a thoughtful man he doesn't want to give people any more reasons to be jealous of him? In any case, I don't think he deserved that Oscar.