• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the book you consider your bible/author you adore?

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
So, I was checking my library to comment on another post about short stories and I decided to open this space so you can share what book/s you have read a thousand times, what book inspired you to do something, changed your point of view. Also valid with authors!

In my case, I'd say:

Book that changed my point of view on life, because I admired how Demian was so self-assertive and I wished to have a person like him near me:
- Demian, by Herman Hesse

http://www.msjkeeler.com/uploads/1/4/0/6/1406968/demian.pdf

Book that I've read a thousand times because it's the cynical's Bible:
- The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce
Here's a quote:
AMNESTY, n. The state's magnanimity to those offenders whom it would
be too expensive to punish.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_fqvMAYjYSgOVdEa3pzM0YxdWc/view?usp=sharing

Author that blew my mind:
- Julio Cortázar. I've read his whole bibliography and I'm just so in love with the way he has to wrap you in a story and make you get lost in it, the way in which his feelings and ideas flow in the text, so intense and charged with imagery that feels like time is moving, action is happening, when actually it's just down time. I feel Cortázar gives you his hand, invites you to his world, to his mind, and lets you there, he wants you to experience the turmoil of his mind. One step, you know where you are. Next step, you are in another universe. Next step, the two universes are the same universe.

Here's a 1-page story:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_fqvMAYjYSgRzR1YjA3N0gtOTA

Here's a chapter from his novel, Hopscotch:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_fqvMAYjYSgRjMzVmlMZi1yZjg

Here's a book with some stories. I recommend "The Distances", "A Yellow Flower" and "Blow-Up":
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_fqvMAYjYSgaGVPcDVFeW9LeHM

So, how about you? :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well.. The books I read growing up that shaped me a lot.. I'll leave comic books out of this.

3. Frankenstein. I know that's a little cliche but it had everything I was into at the time: monsters, horror, scary situtions, etc.. with new concepts my young brain really needed to wrap around.. like the cruelty of perception and bias, fear of the unknown having negative influences, how something could have been born of monstrous acts but not be a monster themselves, etc.

2. To kill A Mockingbird. Atticus never losing his cool always stuck with me. When someone spits right at him, and he just cooly brushes off his shoulders in the ultimate fuck you. I loved it.

1. The books that really shaped me are the Lioness Quartet from Tamora Pierce. I really cannot say enough that I submerged myself into those books and embraced many concepts that I was struggling with. The dynamic of being female and feminine but desiring masculinity, balancing the two, etc. There really are lessons to be taken away from those books each and every time you read them.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's actually a biography about the Empress Elisabeth of Austria written by Brigitte Hamann. Elisabeth's a historical person I very much identify with and reading this book helps to keep me grounded in some way. It gives me hope and comforts me, although her life is a rather tragic story. I actually wish I could just disappear from life and keep living in the world this book creates (although, obviously, since it's a biography it's the real world I guess).

Lark

Well the bible's my bible but besides that I'd say that Erich Fromm's books are pretty important, any of them but I think that Art of Being and Art of Listening are among the best.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]
Thanks! I hadn't heard of the Lioness Quartet before! I'll take a look!
[MENTION=25056]Null[/MENTION]
Empress Sissi? I used to watch that 50s movie when I was little time after time! It's more like you want to travel to another time and place via "fictional" means. The book must contain more circumstantial aspects of the story. It's worth a look :)
[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]
Touché. Didn't realize a "bible" could be the actual Bible. From all Fromm's (haha) books I've read, I liked "Man for Himself", because it deals with the "burdens"/intricate realms of existence, which is a topic I'm especially interested in.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Empress Sissi? I used to watch that 50s movie when I was little time after time! It's more like you want to travel to another time and place via "fictional" means. The book must contain more circumstantial aspects of the story. It's worth a look :)
Touché. Didn't realize a "bible" could be the actual Bible. From all Fromm's (haha) books I've read, I liked "Man for Himself", because it deals with the "burdens"/intricate realms of existence, which is a topic I'm especially interested in.

It's a quick read because it's at a teen level. :)

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
The Face of Battle by John Keegan.

Before studying the book I highly romanticized war. I feel I've died a million soldiers' deaths in my mind and it makes me sick.

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins

Becuz biology is beautiful.

Lark

When I read civilisation and its discontents I was disappointed to discover the extent to which man for himself was nothing more than Fromm's response to it really, well argued etc. but all the same that's all it was really, although I think its in the same league as Adam Smith system of moral sentiments for trying to distinguish between the good and the bad of selfishness.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=21883]sunyata[/MENTION]
I'm somewhat "short-sighted" when it comes to war situations/elements/strategies, maybe because I haven't read much about them to understand them fully. Your last sentence surprised me, because I imagined someone imagining the soldiers' deaths and all the corpses rotting inside the mind. It was a powerful image. Regarding the other book.. the author is the same who wrote The Selfish Gene, isn't it? Indeed, biology is beautiful!
I've always been reluctant to read Freud's books. My high school education had a considerable time of psychology classes, and I found most of his theories -mostly the ones regarding sexuality and gender- rather nonsensical. But if Fromm's book is a response to that, it's worth taking a peek! You seem to be a fan of nonfictional books.
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION]
Is that a kids book? Mine was one that was translated from German, and was called "Mia and Max: The Tiger Said Goodnight", and it was about two kids, more or less of the same age as my brother and I (with the same personalities and all) who asked their father to tell them a story before going to sleep, but they never went to sleep.
519CZ3QHPVL._SX344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
[MENTION=26997]CitizenErased[/MENTION] those kids are rebels

and lol i don't think spot ever went to the store, i might write about him going there one day. it will be magnificent :O !

and today could be the day...

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=22833]Legion[/MENTION]
Spot sounds to be smart about what he invests his money on. You could totally turn that story (and its sequel) into a movie trilogy.
1: Spot goes to the store
2: Who's a bad boy?
3: 101 dalmatians

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I wouldn't say Bible but I'm particular to Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin, and R.A. Salvatore.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
actually The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho has convinced me to switch jobs and get off my ass more than once, which might be why it was an international bestseller :laugh:

also, my dad had a fondness for having me read particularly dark humored adult books when I was a kid, which gave me a pretty dark view of humanity and a tendency NOT to be surprised by terrible things that happen... that's what happens when you give a 10 year old books by Heller and Vonnegut :)

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
[MENTION=21883]sunyata[/MENTION]
I'm somewhat "short-sighted" when it comes to war situations/elements/strategies, maybe because I haven't read much about them to understand them fully. Your last sentence surprised me, because I imagined someone imagining the soldiers' deaths and all the corpses rotting inside the mind. It was a powerful image. Regarding the other book.. the author is the same who wrote The Selfish Gene, isn't it? Indeed, biology is beautiful!

There's a fair bit of interesting material out there, like Robert Rogers' Rules to Ranging. I don't have any practical experience, nor do I particularly wish for any, but you never know.

Yeah! I was actually torn between that the Dawkins book I mentioned... most of his are great, really. The first edition cover of The Selfish Gene is top shelf :wub:

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ehh, the movies are unfortunately as far away from the truth as they could be. I mean, you can enjoy them for what they are I guess (although I don't), but they are a horrible representation of Sisi. It's so corny and romantic in a way that her real life definitely wasn't. They never mentioned for example that she suffered from depression during her whole life, that the Austrian people hated her or that her son killed himself because she didn't take care of her children. Sorry, but I just really can't stand those movies. x:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Ehh, the movies are unfortunately as far away from the truth as they could be. I mean, you can enjoy them for what they are I guess (although I don't), but they are a horrible representation of Sisi. It's so corny and romantic in a way that her real life definitely wasn't. They never mentioned for example that she suffered from depression during her whole life, that the Austrian people hated her or that her son killed himself because she didn't take care of her children. Sorry, but I just really can't stand those movies. x:

I know, I know, I just mentioned the movies because were what my mind related to your post. Most movies are "softened" to tell certain story that may or not differ too much from what really happened. It also happens with fictional books too (mostly with the Grimm brothers' stories and others that are adapted into movies for children). I haven't read the biography, but it's always good to learn the true story. From what you tell, it seems like it can be interesting to read, I'll check it out.. and thanks for the clarification! ;)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
actually The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho has convinced me to switch jobs and get off my ass more than once, which might be why it was an international bestseller :laugh:

also, my dad had a fondness for having me read particularly dark humored adult books when I was a kid, which gave me a pretty dark view of humanity and a tendency NOT to be surprised by terrible things that happen... that's what happens when you give a 10 year old books by Heller and Vonnegut :)

Oh, that book is awesome. I have an edition with drawings and it's simply beautiful!

And you mean books like Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse-Five? I yet need to read more of those authors, but Heller's paradox in the book is riveting! I like satire and rather cynical books. That's why I like The Devil's Dictionary and most of the works of Mark Twain. Well, your dad prepared you well for life. Thumbs up!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, that book is awesome. I have an edition with drawings and it's simply beautiful!

And you mean books like Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse-Five? I yet need to read more of those authors, but Heller's paradox in the book is riveting! I like satire and rather cynical books. That's why I like The Devil's Dictionary and most of the works of Mark Twain. Well, your dad prepared you well for life. Thumbs up!

have you read much else of Bierce's work? a lot of his short stories were the predecessors of weird fiction, the genre that also gives you Lovecraft, and my favorite, Algernon Blackwood (who was doomed to write weird fiction the moment his parents named him... Lovecraft thought that Blackwood's The Willows may have been one of the greatest stories of the genre and I'm inclined to agree) :holy:

I had an edition with drawings... a coworker at a past job walked off with it so now I am stuck with my kindle version, which at least means I have a copy as long as I have the internet or my phone! :)