• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone else find it exhausting to look for new music?

baph0maidn

Pandora has alleviated a lot of my looking-for-new-music frustration. I mean, yes: it's taken some fine-tuning & there have been a few unfortunate cases of "NO NO NO MAKE IT STOP." But if you create a good "base" station & rate songs consistently, you'll start finding gems. My current go-to station hardly ever plays anything downvote-worthy, at this point. But maybe I'm just a Pandora superstar & my results can't be duplicated. YMMV

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I'm one of those people who's musical tastes are sort of locked in a time before I was born. I find I can readily converse with guys in their 60s about music, and I have no clue what's really been going for the past 16 years, but I've hate almost everything I've managed to hear of it. The 90s was the most recent period with a bastion of music I liked, and I think the 80s were kind of worse than the 90s (though, still better than the last 16 years, apparently).

I don't have pretension about this. I'd much rather like new music than think I'm stuck with the same stuff for the rest of my life. But I find looking for music really unpleasant. The process of trying to listen to one unfamiliar artist after another, in the hopes that I might like them, only to pass on disappointment after disappointment, is somehow psychologically exhausting. I can hardly bring myself to do it.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any methods that get around it somehow?
Actually, I prefer looking for old music:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
i just stumble across a cool song every now and again and then click the coolest looking song on the side of the youtube page when it finishes. easy as yo

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I discovered Warpaint via a Bowie tribute album circa 2011-2012. Their song was possibly the only memorable cover on that entire compilation.

As a rule, you should probably avoid "tribute" albums, but occasionally they can lead you to great musicians you might've otherwise not heard.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Other suggestion: depending on your general preferences, you might look for small venues (i.e. bars, clubs) in your region where bands and/or DJs play. That's a good way to discover new music and you might meet people who will share your enthusiasm for music and be able to suggest music to you.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I discovered Warpaint via a Bowie tribute album circa 2011-2012. Their song was possibly the only memorable cover on that entire compilation.

As a rule, you should probably avoid "tribute" albums, but occasionally they can lead you to great musicians you might've otherwise not heard.
^ I've discovered really good bands this way too. Soundtracks, compilations, tribute albums...

e.g. I got into Reggie Watts after seeing his "cover" of "Panama" by Van Halen in The Onion A/V Club's Undercover series.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ Pretty much this. Find a way to get at least one good recommendation based on the music you already like. Maybe ask your friends! And then it's a lot easier to search for new music based on the curated results you get from that.

This is what I typically do, when I'm not energized enough to look myself. And I'm usually not.
How about some self-indulgent British neo-prog?