• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommend Me Music ~70s/80s Edition~

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ok. I don't listen to a lot of non- modern- Japanese music as I think it's painfully obvious I am a weeb. So even though my parents (especially mom) loved music from their youthful days growing up, I didn't really listen to any of it.

There are a few songs from "before my time" that I'm in love with though. I'm wondering if anyone else who actually has knowledge of these music eras has anything similar-sounding hey can recommend me!!

Here are a few random songs I like. I'm not familiar with any of the artists as a whole, just the particular one or two songs I know from them.

What I like most about these, or the "common theme" between them, is that I guess they're more "mellow" sounding? Idk. I'm just trying to find more artists/songs that would sound similar. Most likely will be more stuff from the 80s-ish era, though if you know any music from really any era that's got this kind of sound to it, feel free to add that as a recommendation too.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a total 80's music junkie -- awesome thread idea! :D
A multitude of artists from that era are part of the new wave genre, search artists by that and I'm sure you'll find similar music you'll love.
Since you posted Silent Running (love that song!), here's another one by Mike & The Mechanics:

A few of my favorites:

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also:
(Blue Monday & True Faith are other great songs by New Order)
Ok, I think that's good for now. I have too many!

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok.. maybe one more...
Who can forget 80's hair bands and their ballads? :wubbie:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Roxy Music - Avalon is a great album and in many ways they invented, or at least heavily influenced the adult contemporary rock sound that was so popular in the 80s and 90s.

and not to be confused with the similarly titled Abba song:

One of the better songs from Bowie's lost years aka his shitty period:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry to blow up your thread but 70s/80s is possibly my favorite era for music.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I prefer mellow and easy too. Here are some you might like. this might be a little bit of everything, from adult contemporary to new wave to soul to classic rock:

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I didn't expect to walk in on a New Wave extravaganza, but I did come in expecting to leave Yes.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I was gonna post Time by Alan Parsons Project since it's probably the most mellow song ever, but someone's beat me to it.

Some Crowded House

Moody Blues

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Speaking of songs titled "Time"

I recommend the Pink Floyd song as well as the Bowie song.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was gonna post Time by Alan Parsons Project since it's probably the most mellow song ever, but someone's beat me to it.

You could have posted "old and wise" or "eye in the sky". I didn't chose those due to the OP's request for simply mellow, these are mellow with additional other things.

Was planning to put up "running up that hill" initially, then realized my list was too INFP-ish, and began to revise some stuff less deep in thought and ambiguous. Otherwise, I thought the song is really emotionally divided, or as Kate Bush lyrically wrote "Unaware that I'm tearing you asunder."

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I don't listen to that many songs from that era, but my absolute favorite in my collection is this one:

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (mid-late 70s)

Doesn't really fit the request of being a super calm song, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The 70s was the high point of popular culture, IMO. A few songs that spring to mind from that decade:

Taking It Easy (The Eagles)
Immigrant Song (Led Zepplin)
Don't Stop Now (Fleetwood Mac)
Highway to Hell (AC/DC)
Cecelia (Simon & Garfunkel)
Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)
My My, Hey Hey (Neil Young)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Omfg I'm glad this thread finally took off! I've got a LOT of listening to do. Will get back to y'all to gush over recommendations later. :heart: