• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starting a Band

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone interested in forming a band or starting a new musical project? What would you like to create? What's your plan for getting things going?

Or if you're already involved in something, how did it come about?

I'm curious about what all you musically-inclined people are up to.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Anyone interested in forming a band or starting a new musical project? What would you like to create? What's your plan for getting things going?

Are you talking about actually forming a band with other forum members or asking for advice about starting a band in general?

I have never been in a band before, as I'm happy working on my own and I'm more of a composer than a musician. I have tried collaborating with a few people before online but not successfully. I have very clear ideas and make a better director than team player.

Also, I believe if you want to work productively with other people in music, you need to meet them and practice together in person. This makes spontaneous changes to your music easier, and you also pick up things in a rehearsal that you can't with music software.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, learning how to play the piano. :blush:

Getting a midi keyboard/sound card to add on my laptop to use Ableton for DJ mixing/creating music! ^_^

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are you talking about actually forming a band with other forum members or asking for advice about starting a band in general?

No, not a forum band. That sounds cheesy as hell. I just want to hear ideas for what people intend to do with their music and stories about what they've already done. I meant for "project" to be inclusive of people doing solo work as well. Sorry I wasn't clear in the OP.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
No, not a forum band. That sounds cheesy as hell. I just want to hear ideas for what people intend to do with their music and stories about what they've already done. I meant for "project" to be inclusive of people doing solo work as well. Sorry I wasn't clear in the OP.

Yeah, this clears up a lot.

I have elucidated on my background before but I'm a senior music student at college. I compose, sing and play the piano (to about Grade 7 equivalent atm), and I'm learning to write songs (and poetry) as well now. My hope is that I can break into the music industry but I don't have a defined career path beyond that. Let's see where things go.

As for what I've already done: I've submitted compositions for a few local competitions, and had two performed publicly at functions (they sucked, but people seemed to like them).

Fuzz

MBTI Type
@#%$
Enneagram
I'd be interested in starting a fake band on Typology Central.

I want to be the guy who plays a guitar and, like, jots down song titles on post-it notes and shit like that.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be interested in starting a fake band on Typology Central.

I want to be the guy who plays a guitar and, like, jots down song titles on post-it notes and shit like that.

I want to be the sleazy manager the record label brings in after the band fires their hometown manager.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Would love to collaborate on some music! I sing, write, and play drums. I've been in bands before, but it's difficult to make time with schedules for practice and shows, and even harder to find a good creative match.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't bother to release anything on my own into the wild for the longest time. But now I/we have an album coming out with another following very closely behind :shrug:

trigger warning: industrial noise, derision of Nancy Grace

Missed the Point

Tropical Storm Nancy Grace

Incomprehensible Trash

Followed. I'm going to release either an EP or album's worth later in the year. It depends on how fast and prolific I am. Please return the favor and follow me, if interested.

https://soundcloud.com/lyedecker

FYI, not all of my music will be "electronic" aka synthy.

I intend to produce a mixture of acoustic, mic'ed amps, computer-generated, etc.

If my old 4 track still works, I will do some via analog (will still master it on the computer).

I will probably perform all of the instruments myself. Vocals will depend on whether I find the muse to write lyrics.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Followed. I'm going to release either an EP or album's worth later in the year. It depends on how fast and prolific I am. Please return the favor and follow me, if interested.
Done.

I'ma check it out soon.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm trying to get a small (8 voices, 2 per part) choral ensemble together right now. The preliminary plan is that we'd sing Renaissance choral music, e.g. John Taverner. I'm really excited about this, because as a 25-year-old woman who sings like an 8-year-old choirboy, Renaissance music is one of maybe two or three genres of music that my voice is well-suited to.

I'm also learning the mandolin, and at some point in the next few years, once I'm good enough, I'd love to be at a point where I can jam with folks, in some kind of acoustic group. Bluegrass or folk, probably. By then I'd hopefully also be able to sing in that style.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm really excited about this, because as a 25-year-old woman who sings like an 8-year-old choirboy, Renaissance music is one of maybe two or three genres of music that my voice is well-suited to.
Is this the other one? :D

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I want to be the sleazy manager the record label brings in after the band fires their hometown manager.

I want to be the singer who wears a wig and cries a lot while he sings through the excruciating pain of wearing skinny jeans, being high and drunk at the same time. Twisted...like my mind. The women can tell simply from the sound of my voice what I'm dreaming of, ohh ohhhh OHHHHHHHOHHHHH!!!! (*cue smoke and aggressive solo acts*)

Hmm, Twisted. Maybe that should be the name of the band.

Those days are over though, thanks to feminism, as we have become way too PC. You can't sing about just fucking taking what's yours in hunger and lust.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this the other one? :D

I do have a secret dream of sounding like Ann Wilson*, though I never will -- I'm destined to sing Nancy Wilson's high harmony part.

Time to find myself an alto who plays guitar and can accompany me on Dream of the Archer:

*Part of the continuing series "EJCC, The Alto Wannabe"

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure. I can be the one who puts together a random mess of noises and calls it intelligent dance music! =D

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I do have a secret dream of sounding like Ann Wilson*, though I never will -- I'm destined to sing Nancy Wilson's high harmony part.

Time to find myself an alto who plays guitar and can accompany me on Dream of the Archer:

*Part of the continuing series "EJCC, The Alto Wannabe"
Well that seems promising. :D Hmm ... would Tarja Turunen stuff (earlier Nightwish) be sort of in your ballpark? :thinking:

My voice doesn't seem to be good for much of anything. :doh: It's like a half-step too high for David Gilmour stuff and a half-step too low for a lot of Chris Isaak.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow, I should've rewritten the OP so it didn't sound like I wanted to start a forum band. That wasn't on my mind at all.

I was thinking I'd like to start a band with 4 or 5 singers, so we could do harmonies, backed by a DJ or two. I also thought it'd be cool to form a rock band where I'd play hurdy-gurdy (so expensive!) and musical saw and run those instruments through pedals for a unique sound.

The only project I have songs written for is a folk/singer-songwriter one. I'd need to find another guitarist, a cellist, a violinist, and a percussionist to get going, and probably a vocalist since I'm not sure I could carry all the songs myself.

I don't really have plans right now because I need to improve my skills before getting serious. I wouldn't want to hold everyone else back, and I want to refine some of my ideas.