• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starting a Band

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I want to be the singer who wears a wig and cries a lot while he sings through the excruciating pain of wearing skinny jeans, being high and drunk at the same time. Twisted...like my mind. The women can tell simply from the sound of my voice what I'm dreaming of, ohh ohhhh OHHHHHHHOHHHHH!!!! (*cue smoke and aggressive solo acts*)

Hmm, Twisted. Maybe that should be the name of the band.

Those days are over though, thanks to feminism, as we have become way too PC. You can't sing about just fucking taking what's yours in hunger and lust.

What!? You aren't listening to enough Hip Hop. Singing about taking what's yours (or their's) in hunger and lust is the name of the game ;)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Wow, I should've rewritten the OP so it didn't sound like I wanted to start a forum band. That wasn't on my mind at all.

I was thinking I'd like to start a band with 4 or 5 singers, so we could do harmonies, backed by a DJ or two. I also thought it'd be cool to form a rock band where I'd play hurdy-gurdy (so expensive!) and musical saw and run those instruments through pedals for a unique sound.

The only project I have songs written for is a folk/singer-songwriter one. I'd need to find another guitarist, a cellist, a violinist, and a percussionist to get going, and probably a vocalist since I'm not sure I could carry all the songs myself.

I don't really have plans right now because I need to improve my skills before getting serious. I wouldn't want to hold everyone else back, and I want to refine some of my ideas.

That sounds like an amazing musical outfit that I would definitely want to go see. I wasn't overly fond of the Avett Brothers until I saw them live and the vibe you describe reminds me of their show. They all played so many different instruments and would switch off so you would be wondering "now what in the world is he playing on?". It was masterful.

I agree with [MENTION=18819]five sounds[/MENTION] that it is a challenge to find a good fit creatively. I sing and do guitar and don't have the voice for solo work. I need to work in harmony. But, I have had trouble with disputes about direction the band was taking (one wants distortion, one doesn't) and prima donna arguments over whose songs get used. But, there is nothing as fun as simply jamming. So, I refuse to give up...