• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommend short stories

Kas

Fabula rasa
Just about any short story by Edgar Allan Poe. Of course, some are pretty much on the dark side.

Yeah , I think everything he wrote should be read aloud with the voice of Vincent Price:D

I read one book of his stories, but I suppose it's far from being everything

Do you like SF/Fantasy? If so, here are a few recommendations:
  • Stephen Donaldson, Daughter of Regals
  • Ursula LeGuin, The Wind's Twelve Quarters
  • Anne McCaffrey, The Chronicles of Pern
  • Tanith Lee, Red as Blood
To shift gears completely, here are a couple of essay collections I really enjoyed:
  • Celina Spiegel, editor, Out of the Garden, essays on the Bible written by various Christian and Jewish women
  • Stephen J. Gould, The Panda's Thumb, essays on evolution and its teaching, science biography, probabilities and common sense.

Yes I do and I like Ursula LeGuin:) - though I haven't read her short stories. I don't know the other authors.
Thank you for recommendations.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I can't recommend just one, so I'll make a huge, huge list :)

I'll start with Argentine authors because it's what I have closer:
- Any story by Julio Cortázar (he's my favourite author, he writes magic realism).
- "Circular Ruins", in the book Fictions by Borges.
- "The Invention of Morel/Morel's Invention" by Adolfo Bioy Casares (it's actually a very very short novel).
- Try to find Rodolfo Fogwill's stories
- "Secret Ceremony" by Marco Denevi (gothic nouvelle, also very short).
- If you're into plays, check Alejandro Casona's plays.

And then, any story from:
- Chesterton (Father Brown stories are awesome)
- Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Ambrose Bierce (and read "The Devil's Dictionary", it's a cynical, sarcastic dictionary, it's my bible)
- Allan Poe
- Ray Bradbury (I recommend The Illustrated Man)
- Guy de Maupassant
- José Saramago (Portuguese writer. I recommend "The Tale of the Unknown Island". Avoid his novels, they are worth a bullet between the legs)

- Tales of Rudyard Kipling
- New Arabian Nights, by Stevenson
- Imaginary Lives, by Marcel Schwob
- Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Stranger, by Albert Camus
- Oscar Wilde stories and short novels, like Lady Windermere, or Lord Arthur Savile's Crime
- A Doll's House, by Henrik Ibsen (also a play).

Essays:
- Loren Eiseley Essays
- Collected Essays: Aldous Huxley
- The Problem of Time, by Alexander Gunn
- An Experiment with Time, by J. W. Dunne

I can't remember any more short stories, if I recall any other, I'll edit the post.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm looking for the short stories/ esseys or relatively short novels . Anything you can recommend to me?:)

I read pretty much everything from classics to reportages, sf, crime stories and action. I would like it to be something contemporary, best of the author still alive, but not necessarily.

I more often read novels, but I’m a fan of almost all the essays of Vonnegut I read and sf short stories of Lem. I liked A. Munro stories and “One more year” of Sana Krasikov. I love Ibero-American prose…

http://www.ibiblio.org/ebooks/Poe/Amontillado.pdf

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Sherlock Holmes stories and Edger Allen Poe short stories are classic and well done.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Thank you guys for recommendations! And for links, because it's easier this way.
[MENTION=26997]CitizenErased[/MENTION] I love Cortazar too! :wubbie: What are your favourite short stories?

Thanks for the list, especially the Argentine authors. I've read only Cortazar and (recently) Borges, the rest I don't know. I'm going to check them out.
If it comes to Saramago I actually liked "Baltasar and Blimunda":D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Remembered my love of the short stories of Damon Runyon today... a lot of 20s NY slang that you pick up on and his narrative style is quirky but his stories are endearing and filled with all kinds of very human criminals

Thank you australia for providing us with some of them online! :holy:

also Raymond Chandler's short stories as well... I'd suggest red wind as a good place to start :)

Kas

Fabula rasa

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
Thank you guys for recommendations! And for links, because it's easier this way.

[MENTION=26997]CitizenErased[/MENTION] I love Cortazar too! :wubbie: What are your favourite short stories?

Thanks for the list, especially the Argentine authors. I've read only Cortazar and (recently) Borges, the rest I don't know. I'm going to check them out.
If it comes to Saramago I actually liked "Baltasar and Blimunda":D

You're welcome! ;) I'm a bookworm, I have thousands of books at home (literally), I'll need 3 lives to finish reading them!!!

I don't know if I could tell you my favourites, I have his whole bibliography and I have read it more than 10 times. I don't know if the titles are right because I've read them in Spanish, but I liked:

From End of the Game:

- Continuity of Parks
- A Yellow Flower
- The River
- The Night Face Up

From Bestiary:
- The Distances

From The Secret Weapons:
- Blow-Up/The Droolings of the Devil

From All Fires The Fire:
- Miss Cora
-All Fires the Fire
(but loved all of them)

And I loved the whole A Certain Lucas... Oh and The Other Shore!!! Especially "The Vampire's Son" and "The Hands that Grow".

Okay, I'll stop here because I'll name every single one, haha I also read Hopscotch. I didn't like the ending but it has very interesting excerpts that make you think, like chapters 83 and 84 (they have nothing to do with the story, so you can read them without guilt).

From Saramago I read the Double, which was okay, and Blindness. In the latter, I just skipped about 50 pages in the middle because it was so slow-paced that it made me angry. Just like with A Hundred Years of Solitude, By Gabriel García Márquez.

What about you? Which ones did you like? If you need more recommendations, just whistle!

Kas

Fabula rasa
You're welcome! ;) I'm a bookworm, I have thousands of books at home (literally), I'll need 3 lives to finish reading them!!!

I don't know if I could tell you my favourites, I have his whole bibliography and I have read it more than 10 times. I don't know if the titles are right because I've read them in Spanish, but I liked:

From End of the Game:

- Continuity of Parks
- A Yellow Flower
- The River
- The Night Face Up

From Bestiary:
- The Distances

From The Secret Weapons:
- Blow-Up/The Droolings of the Devil

From All Fires The Fire:
- Miss Cora
-All Fires the Fire
(but loved all of them)

And I loved the whole A Certain Lucas... Oh and The Other Shore!!! Especially "The Vampire's Son" and "The Hands that Grow".

Okay, I'll stop here because I'll name every single one, haha I also read Hopscotch. I didn't like the ending but it has very interesting excerpts that make you think, like chapters 83 and 84 (they have nothing to do with the story, so you can read them without guilt).

From Saramago I read the Double, which was okay, and Blindness. In the latter, I just skipped about 50 pages in the middle because it was so slow-paced that it made me angry. Just like with A Hundred Years of Solitude, By Gabriel García Márquez.

What about you? Which ones did you like? If you need more recommendations, just whistle!

Hah you have a magic ability to stop(or at least slow) the time, don't you?

My favourites are “Hopscotch” and “The Stories about Cronopios and Famas”.
Then it would be “Letter to Lady in Paris” and “Cora” :)
But there are maaany I haven't read yet (like "A Certain Lucas" or "The Other Shore" you mentioned). Part of me is happy that there is much more to discover.

You know… there was something I didn’t like about “Blindness” too, despite of the fact that the idea was good. I can’t really say what it was.
But “A Hundred Years of Solitude” was great! I think it was the first book of magic realism I read and I was very impressed.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like this one:

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION]

García Márquez has the ability of creating a story where there is no story at all. For example, in "No One Writes to the Colonel". The story is about how no one writes to the colonel... and nothing else happens. I like fast-paced narrations, intense imaginery, so I tend to choose another authors. Didn't you get confused with all the names? I almost start underlining people with colours, haha

Now, when you find another of his stories to read, you'll need a mate, like a true Argentine, haha ;)

About "Blindness"... I felt like a... "writing friction"? Like it begins with a huge impulse and it starts slowing down and then, in the middle of the book, nothing happens!

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION]

García Márquez has the ability of creating a story where there is no story at all. For example, in "No One Writes to the Colonel". The story is about how no one writes to the colonel... and nothing else happens. I like fast-paced narrations, intense imaginery, so I tend to choose another authors. Didn't you get confused with all the names? I almost start underlining people with colours, haha

Now, when you find another of his stories to read, you'll need a mate, like a true Argentine, haha ;)

About "Blindness"... I felt like a... "writing friction"? Like it begins with a huge impulse and it starts slowing down and then, in the middle of the book, nothing happens!

I got confused reading first two pages :laugh: Firstly he was writing about José Arcadio like the character was a kid then as he was an adult, I had no idea what it is about. How could I knew that there are two José Arcadio?...At least I was prepared then to mad amount of men called Aureliano.
My good friend though claims the book is beyond his reach because he got lost with all the characters and family story.

Sure, and ask a hundred questions :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I got confused reading first two pages :laugh: Firstly he was writing about José Arcadio like the character was a kid then as he was an adult, I had no idea what it is about. How could I knew that there are two José Arcadio?...At least I was prepared then to mad amount of men called Aureliano.
My good friend though claims the book is beyond his reach because he got lost with all the characters and family story.

Sure, and ask a hundred questions :)

I realize now.. When I said mate I meant the drink, hahaha

Sure, we can also exchange commentaries on books we read! (Yes, I have a list :D) I just started L'Homme qui Rit (The Man Who Laughs, by Victor Hugo)

SilentWave

MBTI Type
I?F?
This is one of my favorite stories, though compared to the literature here, not sure if it satisfies your requirements. It's called "The Egg"