• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

On writing a book

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm writing a book and wondered if anyone might have some experience with the plot of this book. It goes like this:
There is this secret society, and the protagonist stumbles upon some information she shouldn't have. This secret society has their own coded language, which on the face of it, sounds just like ordinary English, but it isn't. She learns the codes and once she's done that she can understand what they are REALLY saying. And it's not good. I'm at the point in this book where she has found out that her family and some of her former friends are part of this thing, and that she actually grew up in this cult-like group of people, but didn't know it because they kept everything secret. The kicker is that she has now found out that they involved her in nefarious ways, but kept everything from her. Any ideas?

Brylif

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm an author too, and it sounds like a decent plot, but what exactly are you looking for?

Zen_alpha

MBTI Type
MIND
Enneagram
5w6
I'm writing a book and wondered if anyone might have some experience with the plot of this book. It goes like this:
There is this secret society, and the protagonist stumbles upon some information she shouldn't have. This secret society has their own coded language, which on the face of it, sounds just like ordinary English, but it isn't. She learns the codes and once she's done that she can understand what they are REALLY saying. And it's not good. I'm at the point in this book where she has found out that her family and some of her former friends are part of this thing, and that she actually grew up in this cult-like group of people, but didn't know it because they kept everything secret. The kicker is that she has now found out that they involved her in nefarious ways, but kept everything from her. Any ideas?
Interesting idea. So far it's just an idea, you need to refine it, and better organize it. I suggest you plan everything in file. What I do is that I make 3 files first, one for brain storming "writing every idea that comes in my mind related to the story", second is file for the world of the story, and third is the real file (GGD in gamedev.) that will have accepted ideas from my mind.

When I write a story for my games, I first plan the ending. Then, I start by writing premise, information about world and something I call plot diagram. As for characters, I write information about the characters background, relationship, struggle, goal, strong points, weak points, hidden agenda and traits. Sometime I use MBTI to write dialogue. For me writing dialogue requires a lot of work. So, what I do, is that I open a file, write dialogue, and imagine if it fits the character or not. Since, I'm making a game, I need to imagine the scene, movement and the atmosphere.

Not sure if it will be helpful for writing book, but this is how I do it. You are free to take my advice.

baph0maidn

So far, you've described plenty of things that have happened TO your protagonist, but that's only half the story, really. What is she doing about it? What's her objective?