• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In Search of a Monologue

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I need monologues by female characters.

Bonus points if:
  • It features emotions other than anger and indignation.
  • It's contemporary.
  • The subject matter isn't love.

My sister is taking up acting. She already selected a monologue for her acting class, and she was told to choose a second one that strikes a different emotional chord.

I'm seeing if I can find monologues from Mean Girls, A Little Princess, Game of Thrones, and whatever else comes to mind. My dad thinks A Few Good Men might be a good option.

Anyway, I figure you good folks might have some ideas. The monologue can be from a movie, a play, or a show, and it's best if there's a copy of the lines or script online.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are these monologues just for your sister's acting class? If they're for an audition, can you get more information about the part she is auditioning for so she can cater the monologue to the audition?

I would strongly dissuade her from picking a monologue from Mean Girls, A Little Princess, Game of Thrones, or any other popular media. She needs something that she can interpret in her own way, that she doesn't feel like she has to "mimic." I would recommend she choose the monologue from a play. She must read the entire play that the monologue comes from. If you can tell me her age, her personality, interests, and if it's an audition, relevant info about that, I might be able to recommend some plays.

Edit: Oops, I forgot. What's the monologue she already chose?

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
The subject matter isn't love exactly but it is heartbreak. Drum roll...my favorite monologue of all time:
As well:

More seriously however, here are some amazing options:

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Are these monologues just for your sister's acting class?

Yes!

She needs something that she can interpret in her own way, that she doesn't feel like she has to "mimic."

She hasn't seen Game of Thrones.

If you can tell me her age, her personality, interests, and if it's an audition, relevant info about that, I might be able to recommend some plays.

Edit: Oops, I forgot. What's the monologue she already chose?

She's 24. As for her personality...she's free-spirited, charming, spiritual, and goal-oriented. She comes across as more self-assured than she is. She's the calmest person in my family. She's also got a very dry delivery when she's joking, so people sometimes aren't sure how serious she's being. She's interested in traveling and making plans for the future. She used to spend a lot of time with friends, but she's become more of a homebody as of late. She prefers the countryside to the city, and she likes to be in nature. Not sure if that helps.

The one she's got is this one from Her Tongue.

Plays are well outside my area, and the only ones I'm familiar with had predominantly male roles. So if you have any tips, that'd be supercool.

[A selection of videos]

Thanks! A lot of dudes, though.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She's 24. As for her personality...she's free-spirited, charming, spiritual, and goal-oriented. She comes across as more self-assured than she is. She's the calmest person in my family. She's also got a very dry delivery when she's joking, so people sometimes aren't sure how serious she's being. She's interested in traveling and making plans for the future. She used to spend a lot of time with friends, but she's become more of a homebody as of late. She prefers the countryside to the city, and she likes to be in nature. Not sure if that helps.

The one she's got is this one from Her Tongue.

Plays are well outside my area, and the only ones I'm familiar with had predominantly male roles. So if you have any tips, that'd be supercool.

As a disclaimer, I'm just going to say that the plays I'm about to recommend are plays I know about because I used them for monologues or acted in them myself, which means that I can try to recommend roles within those plays that might fit her personality, but ultimately I'm exposed to them because they fit my personality. We're in a similar age range and we're the same gender though, so at least there's that.

1) The Secret Rapture by David Hare

Here's a summary I pulled from Wikipedia because it's easy.

Estranged sisters Isobel and Marion are forced to reunite when their father dies and they must decide how to handle Katherine, their young, alcoholic, mentally unstable stepmother who has been left nothing but the rural home in which they were raised. Isobel and her lover Irwin own a small graphic design company that is struggling to stay afloat. Her sister suggests she and her born-again Christian husband Tom help them expand the business by finding investors and making Katherine a partner responsible for finding new business. Isobel has grave misgivings about the plan, but finally agrees to it when Marion convinces Irwin of its potential success. Before long, the strain of running the expanded business causes a deterioration in Isobel's relationship with Irwin, who is becoming increasingly dependent upon her, while at the same time Katherine's tenuous hold on sanity begins to unravel.

She sounds like she'd make a good Marion, but Isobel is a possibility for her as well.

2) A Lie of the Mind by Sam Shepard

Told in three acts set in snowy Montana, the story alternates between two families after a severe incident of spousal abuse leaves all their lives altered until the final collision at an isolated cabin. The two families, one composed of Baylor, Meg, Beth, and Mike, the other composed of Lorraine, Sally, Frankie, and Jake are connected by the marriage of Jake and Beth, whose beating and subsequent hospitalization at the hands of Jake initiates the beginning of the play. Exploring family dysfunction and the nature of love, the play follows Jake as he searches for meaning after Beth, and her family, as they struggle with Beth's brain damage.

I would recommend either Sally or Beth for her. I've used Sally for a monolgue and played Beth. Beth might be more interesting for your sister, especially if she's looking for a large contrast to her first monologue.

3) The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh

There are no female characters in this play, but I've played Katurian and any role in this play could essentially be genderswapped. My Michal was also female. This play is extremely violent and might not be your sister's taste. I'll give you the Wiki summary anyway though.

Katurian, a writer of short stories which often depict violence against children, has been arrested by two detectives, Ariel and Tupolski, because some of his stories resemble recent child murders. When he hears that his brother Michal has confessed to the murders and implicated Katurian, he resigns himself to his execution but attempts to save his stories from destruction. The play includes both narrations and reenactments of several of Katurian's stories, most notably the autobiographical "The Writer and the Writer's Brother", which tells how Katurian developed his disturbed imagination by hearing the sounds of Michal being tortured by their parents.

4) Scab by Sheila Callaghan

Anima's sphere of desperation and self-destruction is invaded by the arrival of her perky new roommate, Christa. Moved by a particularly malevolent statue of the Virgin Mary and a houseplant named Susan, Anima and Christa soon enter into a profound and intimate friendship that incurs traumatic results.

Consider Christa or Anima.

Also consider Far Away and Top Girls, both by Caryl Churchill. These are great plays with lots of interesting female characters.

If she doesn't like any of these let me know and I'll recommend some more. Tell your sister to break a leg!

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can't believe I forgot Proof by David Auburn.

The play concerns Catherine, the daughter of Robert, a recently deceased mathematical genius in his fifties and professor at the University of Chicago, and her struggle with mathematical genius and mental illness. Catherine had cared for her father through a lengthy mental illness. Upon Robert's death, his ex-graduate student Hal discovers a paradigm-shifting proof about prime numbers in Robert's office. The title refers both to that proof and to the play's central question: Can Catherine prove the proof's authorship? Along with demonstrating the proof's authenticity, the daughter also finds herself in a relationship with 28-year-old Hal. Throughout, the play explores Catherine's fear of following in her father's footsteps, both mathematically and mentally and her desperate attempts to stay in control.

Your sister sounds a bit more like Claire (who isn't mentioned in this summary, lol) but obviously she should consider Catherine as well.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Blanche have great monologues in "A Streetcar Named Desire" and they are very dynamic, so there's plenty to act.

If it about movies I can suggest "Wild" with Reece Witherspoon. It's the walk split by monologues and memories so there should be something interesting. I like the ending- there are a lot of emotions, still it's rather calm. I think I found the script(?) or maybe awkward, embarrassed Annie Hall talking to Woody Allen (don't remember name) after tennis game.

If it's about Game of Thrones it would be interesting to take Cercei monologue for sure.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure if you're still searching, but Emma's monologue in Birdman is awesome and gets me two bonus points.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the help, everyone. I sent her about 12 different monologues. It seemed like she was leaning to one from The Princess Diaries, but then she found a different one on her own. It's from a play called Dogface by Kellie Powell. I think it's a good choice.

Just thought I'd update you all.