• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone write poems or haiku

Lark

I dont know if I spelt that right, anyway, I was interested in anyone who writes poems or haiku? I dont have any particular talent with either, I've read some of both, I wondered about structure and style and skills, what do you consider poems? I know that haiku has more strict rules about composition, or I imagine maybe.

I recently saw that the author of the song Hallelujah was published in a collection of books which was dedicated to poets, I consider that a song more than a poem but maybe that's a thing.

Anyway, I have sort of set as a goal for myself composing some poems or haiku, so I thought I'd kick it off by creating a discussion thread about it, anyone interested or have any thoughts? :happy2::):hi:

Vorthos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Painting images,
Five, seven, then five again,
Counted on fingers

I like haiku more than most other forms of poetry, I think largely because of the strict rules. A haiku is short, so one doesn't have to worry about going overboard. I find that regular poetry often tries far too hard to be artistic, but lands firmly in cheese. Shorter poems usually have better thought out metaphors, since you have fewer words to make connections.

Also, I can't believe nobody's replied to this until now. I dedicate this haiku to everyone who didn't reply:

A friendly greeting,
Suits marching down the sidewalk,
Hoping he will leave.

(I just wanted an excuse to make another haiku. I don't actually mean anything by this :) )

Kas

Fabula rasa
I do write sometimes. I never wrote haiku though.

There are different opinions about how to write. Some people believe that it's best to write regularly (even if you don't have special idea) to train your technique and feel to write different forms of poetry, experiment with form. After all I think most of professional writers do that. I remember Sylvia Plath writing in letters about her plans and it was like I’m going to write 3 more sonnets this week.
The other option is to write when you have an idea of something you want to put into words. I read once - if you don't have anything to write about, don't write.

I'm closer to the second. But I'm a scribbler and amateur and I write veeery rarely, honestly. Just sometimes it's easier to me to overthink situation or image I have in my head when I write it down. Heh it ends up writing on napkins when nobody is looking.

If it’s about style, if you keep writing, you will find what you like and what is more you. I guess you want to write to your own satisfaction, so the style isn’t that important.

Mole

Permabanned
Rolling in the Grass

Behind everything is a hidden world
In which every blade of grass is dreaming
We don't dare wake them up
It would be like knowing what everyone thought at all times - it would be hell.

But still it is nice to peek.
Some of us peek by cheating with alcohol, known as the poor person's mysticism,
And some drunks hear the grasses sing.
But cheating only gets us so far, then the door closes behind us, shutting us out.

Some of us fall in love with the hidden world and seek it out.
But we find it can't be found, and we must wait for our lover to come to us.
And then what a suprise we get
As the sunrise whispers in our ear, and we roll in the grass in ecstasy.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My haiku

If life is a bitch
Then it's a bitch worth fucking
Make it say your name