• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NightCrawler?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone saw this?

I thought it was a really good movie, with some seriously good social commentary. The acting was really good as well, not to mention the directing style and soundtrack.

It's not one of the greatest movies of all time, but I still think it's really good. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?

Jake Gyllenhaal lost a bunch of weight for the role and sort of ended up looking like a coked out Gollum-esque character.

While I was put off by his character in the film, I also in some way pitied him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone saw this?

I thought it was a really good movie, with some seriously good social commentary. The acting was really good as well, not to mention the directing style and soundtrack.
It's not one of the greatest movies of all time, but I still think it's really good. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?
Jake Gyllenhaal lost a bunch of weight for the role and sort of ended up looking like a coked out Gollum-esque character.
While I was put off by his character in the film, I also in some way pitied him.

I have it on bluray.

I probably shouldn't have bought it to own, since I'm not sure if it's one I'll rewatch often. However, that's not because it's not a good movie. I agree with what you've said here, it's actually well-done. I think it's one of Gyllenhaal's best performances and he really drops into the character. It's just that the character's so slimy that it's not necessarily something you want to watch often -- kind of like the movie "Requiem for a Dream" which is a great movie and has an Oscar-winning performance (? I think Ellen Burstyn won) but isn't something you watch much since it's just so intense and dark.

I'm not sure if I felt pity, per se; but I definitely could see his character as dark, just perhaps unredeemable. Russo was decent as well. It's been awhile since I've seen it, do we ever see how/why his character ended up where he did? I don't recall them including that, but it's a curious thing to wonder how someone ends up becoming a grubby little opportunist lacking human compassion.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have it on bluray.

I probably shouldn't have bought it to own, since I'm not sure if it's one I'll rewatch often. However, that's not because it's not a good movie. I agree with what you've said here, it's actually well-done. I think it's one of Gyllenhaal's best performances and he really drops into the character. It's just that the character's so slimy that it's not necessarily something you want to watch often -- kind of like the movie "Requiem for a Dream" which is a great movie and has an Oscar-winning performance (? I think Ellen Burstyn won) but isn't something you watch much since it's just so intense and dark.

I'm not sure if I felt pity, per se; but I definitely could see his character as dark, just perhaps unredeemable. Russo was decent as well. It's been awhile since I've seen it, do we ever see how/why his character ended up where he did? I don't recall them including that, but it's a curious thing to wonder how someone ends up becoming a grubby little opportunist lacking human compassion.

She's older, and just not very successful at her job, I suppose? I mean, I think that's probably the main reason, and I think that was sort of implied if you see the other news anchors in the show. The other news woman is very young, and looks like a model.

I think this movie is just a startlingly accurate kind of almost cynical jab at the current kind economic and kind of social stratosphere our current way of life have taken on as form.
I suppose it's not really entertainment; it's art, and social commentary, and I think sort of a critical look at the media, too.

I almost feel like the main character is just like, a really dark personification of our current younger generations failings, and the effects of and in relation to the cold and detached, artificial environment. Capitalism.

But the dying breath's of it.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EVIL COKE EEEEEEYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

nightcrawler.jpg

0.jpg

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
It only played in a select few theatres here and I was lucky enough to watch it on the big screen. I went into the theatre not even knowing what the film was about, but I was on the edge of my seat by the end of it. It was stylistically stunning. Gyllenhaal's performance was as eerie as ever! I found it to be a very dark and somewhat terrifyingly honest depiction of the 24-hour news cycle.

Kas

Fabula rasa
It’s not a bad movie, but I was mostly disappointed.
Maybe I had too big expectations. I was told it’s similar to “Drive” and not only I think that these films are totally different, I like much more“Drive”.

I think that Jake Gyllenhaal was very good(!) and I mostly agree with what you said. It's a good interpretation
I think this movie is just a startlingly accurate kind of almost cynical jab at the current kind economic and kind of social stratosphere our current way of life have taken on as form.
I suppose it's not really entertainment; it's art, and social commentary, and I think sort of a critical look at the media, too.

I almost feel like the main character is just like, a really dark personification of our current younger generations failings, and the effects of and in relation to the cold and detached, artificial environment. Capitalism.

But the dying breath's of it.
I would ever go further and say that it shows how person who has psychopathic personality can easily succeed in contemporary world.

What I didn’t like is that there were showed such extremes it was grotesque. I’m not saying that people with the sensitivity of Louis aren’t successful, but there isn’t a lot of chance that he would. His actions weren’t well thought. Half of the movie I felt that it’s unrealistic because it wouldn’t be so easy for him in real life. Maybe it was the aim to shock people by showing that absolutely everybody who doesn’t give a shit can be a society parasite when the society cares only about sensations and has no values. I just think that the same mechanisms could be showed in more subtle and more realistic way and I would prefer to watch a film made this way ;)

Last edited: